Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2019, 08:37:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 740156
  • Total Topics: 61509
  • Online Today: 321
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 am)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 294
Total: 297

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ViiVís Long-Acting Injectable HIV Regimen Boasts Good 3-Year Results  (Read 848 times)

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Cool.

Full write-up
https://www.poz.com/article/viivs-longacting-injectable-hiv-regimen-boasts-good-3year-results

In short:

ViiV Healthcare has presented three-year data from a clinical trial of a long-acting injectable formulation of cabotegravir and Edurant (rilpivirine), indicating that the regimen is safe and effective as HIV treatment when given every four or eight weeks.

Presenting their findings at the HIV Glasgow Drug Therapy meeting in Scotland, researchers conducted a Phase II multicenter, parallel group open-label trial, called LATTE-2, of intramuscular injections of long-acting cabotegravir and Edurant.

Cabotegravir is a non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NNRTI); Edurant is an integrase inhibitor.

After a 20-week period during which HIV-positive participants received oral therapy with cabotegravir and Epzicom (abacavir/lamivudine), virally suppressed participants were randomly assigned two to two to one to receive long-acting injectable cabotegravir and Edurant every eight weeks or every four weeks or to stay on the oral three-drug regimen. After 96 weeks of oral treatment, those in the oral treatment group were permitted to choose either dosing interval of the injectable regimen.

After 160 weeks of treatment, 90 percent (104 or 115) of those in the four-week injectable dosing group and 83 percent (95 of 115) of those in the eight-week injectable dosing group remained virally suppressed. At this point in the study, of those in the oral treatment group who elected to switch to injectable treatment at week 96, 97 percent (33 of 34) of those in the eight-week group and 100 (10 of 10) of those in the four-week group were virally suppressed.

Last years news on this.
https://www.poz.com/article/longacting-injectable-hiv-meds-suit-study-participants
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline MarkintheDark

Re: ViiVís Long-Acting Injectable HIV Regimen Boasts Good 3-Year Results
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 04:56:09 pm »
As one of the study participants in a concurrent trial, I'll add my two bits.  I'm an LTS whose genotyping indicated resistance to some ARV combos.

What I found remarkable was that this therapy eventually lifted my numbers out of AIDS territory (<200) for the first time in over a decade.

My group was given oral cabotegravir and rilpivirine for 30 days at the outset to monitor for adverse reactions, monthly injections following.  We've a second group that was randomly selected after a year for bi-monthly injections.

I'll add that I'll gladly answer any questions y'all have about the treatment, either here or via PM.
HIV dx - 02/93
AIDS dx - 07/01
Rilpivirine/Cabotegravir guinea pig since 01/17

Offline Cosmicdancer

Re: ViiVís Long-Acting Injectable HIV Regimen Boasts Good 3-Year Results
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 10:15:19 am »
Mark, did you notice any side effects from the monthly injections other than some site soreness? Is the injection site in your upper arm, like with the typical vaccine?
Summer, 2007 - &$#@?
November, 2007 - Tested poz, 300,000 vl, 560 cd4
Feb, 2008 - 57,000 vl, 520 cd4, started Atripla
2/2008 - 5/2015 - undetectable on Atripla
May, 2015 - UD, switched to Complera
September, 2015 - UD, 980 cd4, switched to Stribild (Complera interacted with acid reflux medication)
January, 2016 - Stribild, UD, 950 cd4
June, 2016 - UD, 929 cd4

Offline MarkintheDark

Re: ViiV’s Long-Acting Injectable HIV Regimen Boasts Good 3-Year Results
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 01:37:34 pm »
Keeping in mind I'm only one participant, ymmv.

The two injections are given up towards the glutues medus, one each side, top of the gluteus maximus with high-gauge needles.  That's to say it's not like a scary small-gauge syph shot.  The only short-lived discomfort I've had is with the Rilpivirine component which I believe may have to do with higher viscosity.  Therefore, I switch sides from month to month.  Also, my NP and I discovered that administration while prone was preferable since the glutes would not be tensed.

At the outset, Viiv provided reusable ice packs to alleviate swelling, etc.  Did nothing for me.

Aftereffects vary from person to person.  For me, the sites ache for 24 or even up to 48 hours afterwards (depending on if I'm dealing with other health issues).  Tylenol helps.  In my experience, there's been no redness, swelling or rash.  It will sometimes itch for 24 hours or so.  As an LTS, I do have problems with fatigue in general.  I cannot quantify it, but my sense has been the fatigue is worse for at least 24 hours following the injection.  I therefore pretty much keep my calendar clear during that time.  Again, that's just speaking to one person's experience. 

Obviously I'm happy with the unexpected results of the treatment.  My CD4 seems to have settled into the mid-upper 200s.  I don't want to discount that the protocol is being administered by an NP with whom I've had a terrific clinical relationship for eight years.  Office visits aren't a chore since it's more like I'm visiting a friend...well, in fact I am.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 01:41:02 pm by MarkintheDark »
HIV dx - 02/93
AIDS dx - 07/01
Rilpivirine/Cabotegravir guinea pig since 01/17

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2019 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.