Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2019, 05:35:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 740177
  • Total Topics: 61511
  • Online Today: 314
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 am)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 250
Total: 253

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Moving from Greece to the US  (Read 907 times)

Offline nikos

Moving from Greece to the US
« on: October 09, 2018, 02:30:12 pm »
Hello everyone,

I'm a Greek citizen living in Greece. I recently received a job offer from a big IT company in Pittsburgh. However there a few things I'm concerned with about migrating and living with HIV in the US. I have read a lot about insurance but I'm still not sure how that works in the US. You see in Greece everyone is entitled with free HIV meds irrespective of whether he's insured or not. The company offers insurance so I guess I will be insured by my employer. Does this suffice to cover my health expenses regarding HIV? Are there specific things I have to check in my insurance plan? And if so, do I need to disclose to my employer that I have HIV in order to offer me an appropriate insurance plan because I'd rather do that.

Then, upon arrival in the US, I guess I need to find a doctor to do my lab tests and prescribe me the medication. Currently I'm on Eviplera (I think the name is Complera in the US). Are there specific doctors, clinics or hospitals that treat HIV or I should find any private doctor based on recommendation?

Finally, another thing that concerns me has to do with me applying for a working visa to work in the US. As far as I read, HIV is not a reason to be denied a visa and you don't need to disclose that in the visa application. 

Offline MadDog125

Re: Moving from Greece to the US
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 12:16:43 am »
I don't pretend to know the visa system or immigration.  Or how that would work status wise.

I do know a bit of what goes on insurance wise.  Your employer and insurance are totally separate entities.  Your employer offers insurance but you have to opt. In.  Your employer will not automaticly set you up.  For my company open enrollment is when you are first hired with re enrollment every january.  For me it's easy I check a form letting them know I'm not making any changes and that's it.  I can't speak for your company but most have an employee contribution.  For me 95$ a month. That contribution is usually deducted automatically from your paycheck prior to taxation, (bonus less of your income is taxed). 

Under the ACA (obamacare) law at least two drugs in each class must be covered by your insurance.  Also you can not be denied coverage due to being HIV+.

Most insurance has co-pays on doctor visits and perscriptions.  In my case it's 35$ for doctor visits and about 150$ for my rounds of blood work.  I pay nothing out of pocket for my drugs.  Yours could be different and some companies offer as benefits full co pay or deductible cost coverage, my X had such benefits.  Medical, dental, and vision zero out of pocket cost.

A word on legality.  Medical records are seriously guarded things in the US.  I had to sign release forms so my flight surgeon could see my records from the infectious disease Doc.  You are under no obligation to disclose your status to your company.  They can and will only ask if you have any medical condition that would limit your ability to do the job. 

The only exceptions to this I have heard of are for medical personele.

A word of caution, the US is a big country laws vary a lot state to state on HIV.  I live in maryland and here while your employer has zero right to your medical records it is a crime to not disclose your status to a sex partner. 

Offline nikos

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 01:55:01 pm »
Thank you much all!! That was really helpful!! Also very helpful the advice that I don't need to disclose my status to my employer. I was a bit anxious about that.

So as far I understand I would have to check the amount of co-pays and ensure that they are not too high especially for prescriptions. Then, once I'm insured I just have to find a doctor in the US to treat me. Doesn't sound very complicated! :)                                                     

Offline MadDog125

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 11:13:33 pm »
I doubt it would be more than 50$ a month.  Plus Gilead and Viiv the companies that make tivicay and descovy the drugs I'm on have co pay programs.  I just looked up the details essentially even if you had a 100$ a month co pay the drug manufacturer would cover it.  In other words with decent insurance you would have no out of pocket cost for your drugs.

Again this can vary big time case by case.  My benefits aren't considered that good generally speaking.  Yet my total out of pocket cost for hiv treatment is about 70$ a month total, and I'm still seeing the doctor and getting bloodwork every three months.  Plenty of my Co workers have higher cell phone bills.

Offline pittman

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 10:28:41 pm »
Don't frequent this forums as often, but saw this and thought I'd reply. If you took the position in Pittsburgh, then welcome! I am also in Pittsburgh.

The primary center in Pittsburgh that specializes in HIV is part of the University of Pittsburgh Medial Center. They have been great and offer a full range of services.

https://www.upmc.com/services/division-infectious-diseases/services/pittsburgh-aids-treatment-center

In the Pittsburgh area, it is a bit of a monopoly when it comes to healthcare, and you generally should make sure that the health insurance options offered by your employer have one that includes this clinic.  Most plans will allow you to look up the doctors prior to signing up.  You can also call the clinic to make sure. Highmark health plans will NOT cover this clinic due to a local dispute between the hospital and that particular insurance company.

MadDog125 answered your other questions and just for another point of reference, I have what is called a High-Deductable Plan.  With that plan you pay the entire first $1200 each year, and a portion there after until you hit the maximum out of pocket limit that you are expected to pay, which is about $2,500 each year. After that, the insurance covers everything else until the end of the year. Add to that what I pay for the plan itself and I pay about $3,600 each year towards my healthcare.

Except, as Maddog also pointed out, many of the drug companies also offer co-pay cards. By using those, I managed to cover my entire out of pocket costs by just scheduling my semi-annual doctor visits to June/July and November/December. With the prescriptions being paid for in the first half of the year, that covers my portion. (Of course, I am still paying for my plan itself...)

Some plans are better that others, but regardless, look into the co-pay cards.

Offline Expat1

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 08:24:19 pm »
There are also CoPay cards that can help with deductable and copays.

For the med you described look here:
https://www.gileadadvancingaccess.com/copay-coupon-card

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2019 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.