Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2018, 10:56:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 33796
  • Latest: Davai
Stats
  • Total Posts: 738748
  • Total Topics: 61284
  • Online Today: 287
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 238
Total: 239

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: PLEASE help or reassure me ?! Transportation temperature  (Read 1768 times)

Offline an92

PLEASE help or reassure me ?! Transportation temperature
« on: July 14, 2018, 04:42:12 pm »
This is a question about the treatment but also about living with the virus. Please can someone help to reassure me I am rather desperate !!

I started taking my meds 7 weeks ago (good results, undetectable, cd4 over 500).

So today I took my pills for my first trip away (1 week holiday) and I am so freaking out!!! Therapy is Descovy and tivicay.

I took a coach to get to the airport, and the pills were in my suitcase which went in the luggage storage compartment. The coach journey was supposed to be 1 hour, but because of traffic it ended up being 2 hours. It was hot outside, around 28 degrees c. I only realized that it could be hotter in the Luggae storage.

Does that damage the pills? At what temperature do they realistically get damaged ? I知 so stupid I should have kept them with me in the coach.

I知 so freaking out because I知 away in a foreign country for a week, there is no way I can get replacement pills, and I知 so scared they might be damaged and I could get resistance.

Does anybody have any experience with this or have anything to say? Am I freaking out too much ??? HELP I really want my therapy to keep working

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: PLEASE help or reassure me ?! Transportation temperature
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 10:14:26 pm »
I travel all over the world with my pills and people in hotter nations also take HIV pills, the pills you are taking don't have any special storage conditions. Just keep them sealed as in in the bottle to protect them from moisture 

28ーC  (82ーF) is not that hot and so enjoy your travels.

I always have my pills in hand luggage though when flying, never in the suitcase. The reason is simply because if I put them in the suitcase and the airport loose my suitcase I would loose my meds.

Jim

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline an92

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 02:06:22 am »
Thanks for reassuring Jim! It was nice to wake up to that message :)

The reason I freaked out was that I read that they have to be kept at a strict room temperature, it said 20-25 degrees, so I was worried that 2+ hours in the back of a hot coach bus would damage them and make them ineffective.

But yes I also thought what about hot countries!!

So I知 a bit confused what does it mean no specific storage conditions if it says that specific temperature range ?

How long have you kept your pills out of room temperature in the natural heat or in the car when traveling (around 30 degrees)

Thanks

Offline daveR

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 05:07:26 am »
I travel to a lot of hot countries and my pills although normally end up in an air conditioned climate do spend times in transit in hot temperatures. 50 degrees C plus in some cases. I have never had a problem I wouldn't want to store them long term at that heat but for me short time storage has caused no issues.

Dave

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 05:36:52 am »
Besides stressing over something that has happened and you can't change it, there is also no point worrying about something that often is not within in your control during traveling.

My experience is similar to Dave's post, visiting locations with temperatures over 50 degrees at times and no airconditionin for the large part.

Room temperature is whatever the temperature happens to be, controlled room temperature is a differ story. Same as aspirin or paracetamol sales and storage. Room temperature is whatever it is.

It would be different for a few of the older meds, some melted in hot weather or needed to be refrigerated as example however that's not the case with your pills.

If you're still concerned perhaps bring up travel to warmer climates with the ID doctor next time you see them

Jim

Tivicay 10 mg film-coated tablets
Store in the original package in order to protect from moisture. Keep the bottle tightly closed. Do not remove
the desiccant. This medicine does not require any special temperature storage conditions.
Tivicay 25 mg and 50 mg film-coated tablets
This medicine does not require any special storage conditions.
https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/5248/pil
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 05:42:35 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline lightalltheway

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 01:39:03 am »
Two hours of heat will not have any impact on your medication. I kept mine one time in the heat of 50C for more than 7 hours and I also got very worried. Result was: medication is still ok to go.

Enjoy the remaining of your holidays and don't stress about it.

Safe travels,

Offline an92

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 03:35:46 pm »
Thank you guys for the information and kind words ! It so helps to hear other people痴 experiences :)

I知 still considering to have a VL test next week when I get back, but as you all said I think it is all OK with the pills continuing to work!

Offline MadDog125

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 11:20:40 am »
Have to chime in here.  Aircraft cargo compartments on nearly all models are within the pressure vessle.  There rarely more than ten degrees F above ambient.  Being away from the heated airflow of the internal ventilation systems once at altitude there fairly cold but not freezer temp.  Baring a flight over the Arctic circle which some international flights make or sub Sahara Africa ect.  You shouldn't be near the temperature tollerance margins.  At least those listed by Gilead.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2018 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.