Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2018, 01:57:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 737780
  • Total Topics: 61119
  • Online Today: 342
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 201
Total: 202

Author Topic: Afraid of infecting  (Read 745 times)

Offline zeref23169

Afraid of infecting
« on: June 20, 2018, 01:35:00 pm »
hi! i have a concern. I am currently in relationship right now and we've been together for 3 months already. I've had protected sex with my partner and I am HIV positive but I am on my meds for almost 2 years now first line treatment. Though I am always reading about the risks of transmission of the virus in ncbi still I am afraid of infecting my partner. Is there any risk? especially that I do give him blows a lot. Im asking for any couple here or professionals. thanks

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Afraid of infecting
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 01:41:25 pm »
Welcome to the forum

What first line treatment and are you UD?

Look ill be honest I move most posts like this into the prevention forum, even if its from someone living with HIV. To start with giving him a blowjob regardless of your treatment status would not be a HIV concern.

As for the UD part well of intercourse here is the consensus statement that may give you peace of mind. http://www.preventionaccess.org/consensus

Keep in mind everyone loves to quote the recent studies but there is over 20 years worth of evidence and studies to back this up.

People living with HIV on ART with an undetectable viral load in their blood have a negligible risk of sexual transmission of HIV.  Depending on the drugs employed it may take as long as six months for the viral load to become undetectable. Continued and reliable HIV suppression requires selection of appropriate agents and excellent adherence to treatment. HIV viral suppression should be monitored to assure both personal health and public health benefits.

NOTE:   An undetectable HIV viral load only prevents HIV transmission to sexual partners. Condoms also help prevent HIV transmission as well as other STIs and pregnancy. The choice of HIV prevention method may be different depending upon a personís sexual practices, circumstances and relationships. For instance, if someone is having sex with multiple partners or in a non-monogamous relationship, they might consider using condoms to prevent other STIs.

My advise for peace of mind prehaps use condoms as it offers some STI protection and perhaps for yourself it will add some additional peace of mind as you seem to be very anxious for no real reason but long term you need to shake this fear of infecting people and to be honest as long as your partner is aware that and they accept the situation than be happy and live your life.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 01:44:25 pm »
I actually did move you post in the end as half of the question is really about prevention of HIV and the other half of it belongs in "living with HIV"

Anyhow the more senior members can post in this section and will jump in with advice
Below are two other threads that are similar and might give you peace of mind.

https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=68030.0
https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=65601.0

Anyhow welcome to the forum and hope to hear more from you

Jim
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 01:47:24 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline zeref23169

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 01:55:03 pm »
Thank you so much for your reply. I've been using condom since I was positive but the risk of transmission through oral sex is what Im afraid of especially that there was this day that I had cut my lips and I didnt noticed it. Unknowingly, my partner was responsible for it because he bit my lips.

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 03:12:45 pm »
You are not going to give your BF HIV by giving him a BJ, him biting your lips is also not a concern, regardless of the condition of your mouth.

Relax man.

Does your partner know you have this fear? What does he think about this?

Jim

HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2018 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.