Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 03:55:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 35553
  • Latest: Heart
Stats
  • Total Posts: 756700
  • Total Topics: 63991
  • Online Today: 257
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 204
Total: 204

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Worried ive early hiv symptoms  (Read 8252 times)

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
Re: Worried ive early hiv symptoms
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2020, 02:38:31 am »
Hi Jim,

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind?

If I bottom for a guy, using brand new unopened condoms, plenty of lube, pulling out before any ejeculation, would you deem this extremely safe?  I get that oral is a negligible risk so I will stop worrying about this.

With Oral, would you class the risk with and without cum in the mouth as the same neglible risk?

Couple of questions on PREP

1. Does this need to be prescribed by my local GP or can it be prescribed by a sexual health clinic? I would. Prefer not to use my local GP

2. Do you have any idea how much this costs monthly in Ireland?

3. How long does it take to be effective?

I would still be planning to use condoms without ejeculation even when I take prep

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2020, 05:40:17 am »
Hiya,

I get that oral is a negligible risk so I will stop worrying about this.

With Oral, would you class the risk with and without cum in the mouth as the same neglible risk?

I really have answered this already, anyhow, both would be a near negligible risk.

1. Does this need to be prescribed by my local GP or can it be prescribed by a sexual health clinic? I would. Prefer not to use my local GP

PrEP is prescribed by the clinic.

2. Do you have any idea how much this costs monthly in Ireland?

The legal route, PrEP is available free of charge to those who meet HSE clinical eligibility criteria.

If the HSE will not provide you with free PrEP you can still get an prescription from the clinic and buy PrEP through the participating pharmacies. You can find the pharmacy listings here: https://www.hivireland.ie/hiv/prevention/prep-2/prep-map/

The Brand-name Truvada costs around 400 for 30 pills, but generic versions from Teva and Mylan are available for less than 100 for 30 pills last time i checked. 

3. How long does it take to be effective?

Daily PrEP after 7 days would provide protection for receptive anal sex.

There is also on-demand PrEP.  Now On-Demand dosing is different, it's considered as effective as daily PrEP for anal sex.

On-Demand dosing is would be:
- Take 2 pills 2 24 hours before sex
- Take 1 pill 24 hours later
- Take 1 more pill 24 hours after that

I would still be planning to use condoms without ejeculation even when I take prep

Yeah. Look PrEP is highly effective in HIV prevention, it's not perfect though, nothing is. PrEP also offers no addtional protection against acquiring other STI's.

Again, HIV can't transmit through an intact latex or polyurethane condom, however, there is no such thing as safe sex just safer sex. Condoms can break, also, some sexual acts described as safe in regards to HIV still pose risks for other STI's.

Condoms can reduce the risks of STI's, however, the levels of protection for various STIs, depends greatly on differences in how the diseases or infections are transmitted.  Some infections (Not HIV) are transmitted primarily by skin-to-skin contact, which may infect areas not covered by a condom, such as genital herpes, human papillomavirus [HPV], etc.

End of the day, sex comes with risks, no need to stress though, just try to reduce the risks by using condoms, consider PrEP in regards to HIV and test routinely for HIV & STI's.

Best, Jim

Info about, On-Demand PrEP
https://www.poz.com/article/ondemand-prep-regimen-works-us-study
https://i-base.info/guides/prep/on-demand
https://www.aidsmap.com/news/jul-2018/demand-dosing-effective-daily-dosing-first-year-french-prep-study

PrEP information for Ireland:
https://www.hivireland.ie/hiv/prevention/prep-2/
https://man2man.ie/getting-prep-online/
https://www.sexualwellbeing.ie/sexual-health/prep/where-to-get-prep/
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 05:45:21 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2020, 06:46:51 am »
Your a gent and a scholar Jim.

I'll try leave you alone now.

Stay safe and well

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2020, 06:57:51 am »
Sorry one last question on condom usage and hiv. When people state that condoms are not 100 effective against protection from HIV.

Is that due to possible breakage? As in I would assume so long as the condom is not visably damaged then that does mean I would be 100% sure of protection against HIV. Not other STIs

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2020, 07:45:25 am »
Hiya,

HIV can't transmit through an intact latex or polyurethane condom. When they break during intercourse it's obvious, as long as this obvious issue doesn't happen there is no need to stress about it.

The problem with condoms like most things in life is incorrect usage and/or inconsistent usage.

http://ec.europa.eu/research/press/2003/pr2010-hiv-en.html
During the last 15 years, the European Commission has financed several research projects aimed at studying, (directly or indirectly), the use of condoms as a preventive measure against sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV/AIDS. These projects were carried out not only in Europe, but also in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa, where the burden of the HIV epidemic is at its highest. All the studies concluded that the male condom was an effective way of preventing the transmission of HIV, with an efficacy close to 100% when the condom is used appropriately.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2020, 07:54:55 am »
Your a gent and a scholar Jim.

I'll try leave you alone now.

Stay safe and well

You're welcome.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2020, 10:50:10 am »
Sorry Jim back with a hypotethtical question.

If I was bottoming for a guy and he had precum on his fingers or hand when putting on a condom, am I at risk of HIV if it gets on his condom just as he's about to insert

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2020, 12:34:21 pm »
Hiya,

No the fluids on his hands when putting on the condom isn't going to result in you acquiring HIV. HIV is sexually transmitted inside the confins of the body as in never being exposured outside the body.

Best, Jim

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2020, 01:02:56 pm »
Thanks Jim. Sorry what I meant was if he had for precum from his hand onto the condom and then put his penis inside me immediately could that potential have a HIV risk.

Really another possibly dumb question. I orginiay thought it was durex condoms but have since realised it was boots brand. I read some reports that they are poor quality. I'm sure they have to be CE marked and a decent quality. The condom looked fully intact and there was no ejeculation. I just now a bit concerned when reading some horror stories about boots condom quality and tears/rips

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2020, 01:09:14 pm »
Hiya

Whatever fluids were on his hands it's not an HIV risk.

Regarding boots, HIV can't transmit through an intact latex or polyurethane condom. When they break during intercourse it's obvious, as long as this obvious issue doesn't happen there is no need to stress about it.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2020, 01:10:09 pm »
Boots is walgreens pharmacy for anyone not from the UK/Ireland reading this.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 01:16:56 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2020, 01:12:59 pm »
Appreciate it Jim.

Thanks for the reassurances. Goes a long way for idiots like me!

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2020, 01:55:08 pm »
You're grand.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2020, 02:00:41 pm »
I have a very abnormal fear of HIV but not to the point I don't worry in the heat of the moment as I know I'm sensible and generally don't take risks. But then I panic afterwards and common sense goes out the window. I sure be more worries about covid from meeting this guy than I should be about HIV as I took no real HIV risk.

I lack sense at the best of times  >:(

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2020, 02:39:42 pm »
Johnny, Ill give you my two cents on this.

After reading all your post, taking a guess, and it being Ireland I would suspect, your fears in part are triggered by some deep routed yet misguided guilt about sex and sexuality. Prehaps as accepting sexuality particularity, anything other than heterosexuality is still a taboo despite some limited progress in recent years.

However, what do I know? I am not a therapist, just a guy living with HIV who volunteers to tell people to use condoms and to test regularly.  :)

If you keep having these fears, the PrEP might aid in giving you peace of mind but, beyond that, you prehaps should consider talking to a therapist at some stage.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Johnnyhdublin

• Standard
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2020, 03:51:38 pm »
You know a lot more than me that's for sure Jim.

As for you living with HIV yourself, I can only say I have massive respect for you and the work you do here with the other mods to support, guide and reassure people like me.

I really struggle with basic common sense when I let my mind overthink situations and regardless how much I can see I'm paranoid I still fall I to that trap.

Wishing you safety during covid and best wishes my friend

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2020, 03:55:03 pm »
You're welcome
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.