Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 25, 2019, 12:39:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 742306
  • Total Topics: 61840
  • Online Today: 351
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 am)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 298
Total: 300

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Pharmacist marketing Juluca to customers without consent.  (Read 1330 times)

Offline NathaninSoCal

Pharmacist marketing Juluca to customers without consent.
« on: February 14, 2018, 02:11:48 pm »
While picking up a prescription for Tamiflu for my husband at a pharmacy where I had last filled my HIV medications 6 months ago, (I now get my HIV meds by mail order), the clerk taking my payment said that the pharmacist wanted to see me to go over my medications.  At first I thought that this is a good thing because it's a good idea to have your pharmacy know every medication you are on because they are more likely to catch an interaction.  The pharmacist took me into an office and began asking me about the medications I take including over the counter and supplements.  Then I was asked about my viral load and how long it was suppressed and my CD4 count and HIV medication adherence.  The pharmacist said there was a new drug, Juluca, that is only one pill and is "safer" than my current regimen (Descovy and Triumeq)which I have had no adverse side effects from, as compared to previous regimens.  The Pharmacist said that I should consider Juluca.  My husband had the exact same experience when he went to pick up a prescription for a non HIV related medicine.

As I drove home I realized that the pharmacist was obviously being paid by ViiV healthcare to market Juluca to customers who they had determined by looking at their prescription records that they are HIV+.  Your pharmacy does not have access to your medical records or conditions. Sure they can guess.  I realized that not only did they not disclose that they were participating in a marketing campaign, made a claim that a drug was safer than another,  they also collected my HIV related medical information without giving me  or explaining their HIPPA/privacy policy.

So be warned, if anyone other than a medical provider asks you about your medications or health conditions ask them for a copy of their HIPPA policy, so you know that they have one and how your information will be used.

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
Re: Pharmacist marketing Juluca to customers without consent.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 07:06:46 am »
Quick question - you say you are on Descovy AND Triumeq? I only ask because the FTC in Descovy is contra-indicated with the 3TC in Triumeq, and the formal medical advice is these should NOT be taken together.

It may be worth raising this with your doctor.

On the subject of Julica, it does seem strange for the pharmacist to be asking these questions - perhaps he is doing some market research for potential switches. The irritating thing here is where he said 'it is safer' than Triumeq. Trials have shown it is of a comparable effectiveness, and it does reduce the number of drugs from 3 to 2, but there is more to it if you are making a switch - mainly that Juluca has a food requirement and as it contains rilpivirine, which is a NNRT, it could introduce certain side effects associated with that class (mood alteration etc) which may be fine for someone starting on their first regimen, but not necessary good for someone who is nice and stable on their current medication.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline NathaninSoCal

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 12:18:20 am »
Thank you for the reply.  I mistakingly wrote Triumeq instead of Tivicay, but thank you for catching that.  I have been diagnosed with a neurocognitive impairment

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 07:06:33 pm »
No worries, and that now makes so much more sense :)

Many consider Descovy/Tivicay one of the best regimens out there at the moment, assuming you are not one of the few who get sleep disturbance or anxiety issues with it.

If you are stable on that, I would certainly resist any suggestion to change, especially as the suggested treatment would introduce food requirements and increase the risk of side effects, but that is my personal view.

Good point about asking for their HIPPA policy
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline Gladragsguy

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 08:28:55 pm »
And you don't think that ViiV paid your doctor to put you on DOLUTEGRAVIR? Be lucky the pharmacist gave you some info that you can choose to investigate or ignore. As you are already a ViiV consumer (DTG) I am not quite sure why they would be targeting you? Is DOLUTEGRAVIR/RILPIVIRINE better than DOLUTEGRAVIR/EMTRICITABINE/TAF? who knows? but after Gilead's TDF/TAF nonsense I really have my doubts about them. However there is no reason to be switching around meds especially since you are already taking (DTG)  which seems to be best thing available right now.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2019 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.