Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 17, 2019, 07:30:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 746830
  • Total Topics: 62530
  • Online Today: 303
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 255
Total: 256

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ pages, including our "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Scared to death. Please help  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Vvvscared

• Standard
Scared to death. Please help
« on: December 01, 2017, 09:20:53 pm »
I had my first sexual encounter on April with an unknown girl. I was drunk and I don't know how protected the condom was. I got cough and sore throat after 4 weeks. And the swelling in my tonsils remain the same, but no pain. And I have 2 swollen lymph nodes under jaw. Its been 7 months. At 6 month mark, I got a deep cervical lymph node on my right neck. I have kind of white tongue. I have all classic symptoms of hiv. I am so scared. I don't know what to do. I asked her if she is positive, but she positive, but she said she is not. I can't trust her. She is a big liar. Plus she had rashes all over her body. I am scared. I know only test can give the accurate result. But I am scared to take it

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Scared to death. Please help
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 09:38:26 pm »
Hi

Her status is not your concern and I am living with HIV, i don't have rashes and people can not see that I am HIV positive just by looking at me. This is 2017 not 1987 people living with HIV live long normal lives

If you had intercourse and the condom covered the head of your penis during the intercourse it was not a concern, HIV can not transmit through an intact condom and when/if they break they are designed to shred leaving no doubt.

If you had intercourse without a condom, than simply go test.
For the next time keep in mind asking about her status is pointless. Even if she tested negative today all it would mean is she was negative some 3 months ago due to the time it takes for tests to conclusively. Just use a condoms going forward  its not who you do it with that is a risk, its how you do it.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions.

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature to our POZ pages, this includes information on HIV Testing

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Vvvscared

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 09:44:46 pm »
Thank you for the reply. My head on the penis was covered but not the base. I didnt know how to use since it was my first time. And all my symptoms point towards hiv. I am scared and it is not easy for me.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 09:55:47 pm »
Well than it is simple, you did not have a HIV risk from the incident.

Your symptoms are not HIV specific and considering you had no HIV risk to begin with whatever is making you sick is not HIV related, see a doctor and treat it.

As long as the head of your penis remained covered HIV was not a concern.  Move on with your life, continue to use condoms and as a sexually active adult test out of routine at least yearly for easier to transmit STI's & HIV.

Jim

As a note, here is what you need to know about condoms going forward

Latex or polyurethane are effective barriers against HIV, HIV simply can not transmit through the intact barrier. 

To reduce risks of breakage during intercourse, do make sure that whatever the type of condom being used, you only use approved condoms. In other words check for certification mark (FDA, CE, ISO or Kitemark). This means it complies with safety standards. Check the expiry date and make sure the condom is still in date.

Also to note when using condoms use lubricant, if used than use condom safe water-based lubricants makes condoms more comfortable and reduces the risk of breakage. – but avoid oil-based lubricants  as they can weaken or break condoms.

As for putting condom on correctly, as incorrectly done it increases the risk of breakage.  Place one on top of the erect penis and pinch the teat at the end of the condom before you start to roll it down the penis. By doing this you’ll squeeze out any air bubbles and ensure there is room for the semen (cum). Roll the condom down to the base of the penis. 

If it's on correctly it will roll downwards easily. If you've started putting it on the wrong way or you’re not sure then take it off and try again. Even if you have not ejaculated (cum) there can still be semen on your penis (pre-cum), so it’s important to try again with a new condom. (This due to pregnancy and against other easier to transmit STI's)

Jim

HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Vvvscared

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 11:59:31 pm »
Thank you for the reply. I am still scared because of my symptoms. I have never had anything like this before. It is freaking me out. Has anyone else got these symptoms?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 03:45:26 am »
Well than it is simple, you did not have a HIV risk from the incident.

Your symptoms are not HIV specific and considering you had no HIV risk to begin with whatever is making you sick is not HIV related, see a doctor and treat it.

As long as the head of your penis remained covered HIV was not a concern.  Move on with your life, continue to use condoms and as a sexually active adult test out of routine at least yearly for easier to transmit STI's & HIV.

Jim
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Vvvscared

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 09:29:59 am »
My incident was in april 2017. I have tested negetive after 12 months. But after a year and half I started noticing dandruff on sides of my nose and on moustache and beard. It was during winter and I didn't care about it. Then I searched for hiv related dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis came up and got me very very scared. Ever since then dandruff keeps flaring up. Its getting worse under the chin. I have never had it before. I have read in many sites that seborrheic dermatitis is a clinical mark for hiv. I have painless swollen tonsils for over 2 years now. What else could be the reason for seborrheic dermatitis and swollen lymph nodes? 2 are certainly related hiv. Please help

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 11:14:57 am »
It's not HIV specific besides, stop googling biased irrelevant questions. You have conclusively tested negative post this encounter so unless you have been engaging in ongoing risks, HIV is not an issue.

Best, Jim

« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 11:31:35 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Vvvscared

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 11:36:48 am »
Thank you for the reply. Swollen lymph nodes and seborrheic dermatitis both are related to hiv and I have both. Can hiv go undetected?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 11:51:07 am »
It can also be about 50 other things, most of them more common. Work with your doctor instead of googling rubbish.

For the final time you do not have HIV from your no risk encounter and, conclusively have tested negative over the no risk incident 2 years ago!

Don't ask again or post again unless it's about a new incident
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Vvvscared

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 12:24:22 pm »
1 last question. Persistent swollen lymph nodes is a sign of infection. I am healthy and my cbc and urinalysis is normal. So there is some hidden infection. Other sign of infection is seborrheic dermatitis. I have personally never seen anyone having dandruff on moustache and beard. Just me. That's so scary. What if my result after 1 year was false? I am scared to get tested again.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2019, 02:04:14 pm »
Look your left testicle could drop off, it has nothing to do with HIV from your concerned encounter because;

A) It was a No HIV risk encounter
B) Although no testing was required you tested negative.

Unless you have had other real risks since then, its not HIV. So see your GP and, treat whatever is making you sick instead of focusing on something it's not.

Out of kindness if you post about or anything related to the no HIV risk situation again it's going to lead to a ban from the forum for 30 days, this is not to be mean but to encourage you to seek face to face support as in a therapist to help you cope with your thoughts.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 02:07:12 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Vvvscared

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 11:53:56 am »
Hi Jim, I am sorry for coming back but I am extremely stressed. I am seeing new symptoms everyday. I want to believe that I am negative but my body is refusing to make me believe. I started getting alopecia areata on my moustache last week. Alopecia areata occurs due to weak immune system. I am healthy and I have never had any of these skin problems before. I have seborrheic dermatitis on my face, moustache, beard, chest and I don't know where else I have. I stopped exploring. Dandruff is not visible if I keep moustache and beard. But now I am having alopecia on my moustache and I started losing hair. I am really stressed. Don't know what to do. Logically speaking swollen lymph nodes, seborrheic dermatitis, alopecia areata, bone pain, dry mucus all are hiv related. I have them all. There is no other disease that cause all these symptoms. I read an article by a Harvard Dr saying that if you have seborrheic dermatitis on multiple areas you should automatically get tested for hiv.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 12:02:26 pm »
I'm sorry you are feeling unwell, you tested HIV negative already in addition what you posted was not a risk to start with. So as said before unless you have had other real risks since then, its not HIV. See your GP and, treat whatever is making you sick instead of focusing on something it's not.

I hope you feel better soon but allowing you to continue here is not helping you move on with your life, so as warned and out of kindness I'm giving you a temporary ban from the forum

Look your left testicle could drop off, it has nothing to do with HIV from your concerned encounter because;

A) It was a No HIV risk encounter
B) Although no testing was required you tested negative.

Unless you have had other real risks since then, its not HIV. So see your GP and, treat whatever is making you sick instead of focusing on something it's not.

Out of kindness if you post about or anything related to the no HIV risk situation again it's going to lead to a ban from the forum for 30 days, this is not to be mean but to encourage you to seek face to face support as in a therapist to help you cope with your thoughts.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 12:06:48 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2019 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.