Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2019, 05:43:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 740178
  • Total Topics: 61511
  • Online Today: 314
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 am)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 227
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Confused with my result !  (Read 2165 times)

Offline Newtolife

Confused with my result !
« on: November 30, 2017, 10:49:43 am »
Hi Guys
So i am bit confused with my results but here is my historical background.
I have been diagnosed in July 2016 , Vl 63k and cd4 of 215
In october 2016, vl is 1862 and dc4 around 350
In December 2016 , vl is 184 and cd4 around 415
In May 2017 , vl is detectable ( less than 40 ) and cd4 is 723
In November 2017, vl is detectable (less than 40) and cd4 is 625
I am on Viraday ( atripla generic) and i was with my ID today, she said she is not worried about my vl as long as it is below 1000
I dnt understand , if it is below 40 why it is mentioned in my report detectable ? And why it is still detectable after 17 months on treatment ! My ID dr said i have to keep in mind i am taking indian version of atripla and the test they are doing is very sensitive. Any advise or idea guys that can help me ?

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Confused with my result !
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 10:59:17 am »
Please put more confidence in your doctor.  You can get reassurance here too. Your CD4 is fine and many people on successful treatment show "detectable" virons because as your doctor says, the tests can find it. There are blips, too, where people go from undetectable up to hundreds sometimes. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Newtolife

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 11:08:19 am »
Thanks mecch
I am trustng her, but i got confused, i thought less that 40 copies is already UD thats why i am confused ! She said in 4 mnths or 6 mnths if i didnt reach Ud she can change the treatment !

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 11:16:32 am »
It can be nerve wracking, having HIV. IN my 10 years or so with it, I have found that my nerves are settled if I trust my doctors professionalism and take their advice and try to put my mind on other things. Once though, I had to stop with one doctor, who I came to not trust, to find another.  So its a little dance sometimes. But when you can trust the doctors expertise, it really puts the mind at ease.  I am not a doctor so I have other things to apply my mind to.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 03:43:26 pm »
It is a technical distinction.  The lab that does your testing has an assay for HIV Viral Load with a lower sensitivity of 40 copies.  This means that it can't report a number if it detects 1-39 copies of the virus, as it is below the sensitivity of the assay -- in English, this means that anything less than 40 is not a reliable number, thus it reports <40. 
What the "Detectable" vs. "Undetectable" means is that the assay either found some virus or did not. 
In your case, it must have found somewhere between 1 and 30 copies of the virus, thus the "Detectable, <40" result.

While this is TRUE from a technical point of view -- your meds are adequately controlling your virus and your doctor's advise is good, you have nothing to worry about here.  "undetectable" has come to mean something along the lines of "not enough virus to worry about", however a lab, for legal reasons, must report facts and the fact is that it "detected" some tiny amount of virus.

It actually took me over a year to reach UD.  I hovered between 200-700 most of that time, so you are doing well -- when compared to me.

Mike
Atripla - Started 12/05
Reyataz/Norvir - Added 6/06
Labs - Pre-Meds
Sep05 T=350/25% VL98,559
Nov05 288/18%  47,564
Current Labs
May2015 969/28% <20

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 08:51:04 pm »
In May 2017 , vl is detectable ( less than 40 ) and cd4 is 723
In November 2017, vl is detectable (less than 40) and cd4 is 625

Virological suppression.

Can't add much to what the others have said, other-than "Congratulations" You are UD. Keep taking your meds that is all you can do.

Jim

https://www.poz.com/article/treatment-viral-blips

People on antiretrovirals (ARVs) who have a fully suppressed virus but who experience viral blips—a viral load between 20 and 49—are not at risk of failing their HIV treatment. Researchers studied 21,500 HIV-positive people taking ARVs who started treatment after 1997. They found that there was no difference in the risk of developing a viral load of 50 or above for individuals with a viral load below 20 versus those with one between 20 and 49. The investigators believe that their research shows that having a viral load between 20 and 49 is no reason to switch to a different HIV treatment regimen. They did, however, call for research into whether such a modest level of viral replication might compromise overall health through persistent activation of the immune system or other factors.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 09:10:10 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 11:35:11 am »
Normally, when a VL test result shows 'less than' the limit of detection, it is classed as 'Undetectable'. Mine always show UD (<50).

It may just be the way they are presenting the data in your lab or your part of the world, or it could even be an error in the classification.

If the lower limit of detection in your lab is 40, and you have <40 as a result then rest assured you are undetectable.
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 05:04:38 pm »
Normally, when a VL test result shows 'less than' the limit of detection, it is classed as 'Undetectable'. Mine always show UD (<50).

It may just be the way they are presenting the data in your lab or your part of the world, or it could even be an error in the classification.

If the lower limit of detection in your lab is 40, and you have <40 as a result then rest assured you are undetectable.
Technically, this is incorrect -- having worked in clinical laboratories for over a dozen years in my younger days (with a Medical Technology degree), I can tell you that there absolutely is a TECHNICAL distinction between a result of <50 Undetectable and < 50 Detectable.  That distinction is that in the Undetectable result, NO VIRAL PARTICLES were encountered and in the Detectable result SOME VIRAL PARTICLES were encountered but less than the lower sensitivity of the assay, so it can't be presented as a number.

Now -- this is simply a technicality -- the clinical reality is that if there are <50 viral particles, you are doing just fine and can be considered CLINICALLY undetectable (to use the common vernacular).  It's unfortunate that the term undetectable has been co-opted to mean something that may not always be true (again, technically).

So -- bottomline -- there is no clinical significance here, at least based on current knowledge, so no need to worry about the technicality -- however, the Clinical Laboratory Scientist in me can't let it go.   ;D

Mike
Atripla - Started 12/05
Labs - Pre-Meds
Sep05 T=350/25% VL98,559
Nov05 288/18%  47,564
Current Labs
May2015 969/28% <20

Offline Newtolife

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 01:16:31 am »
Oh thanks Guys, very Clear ! I swear you made it more clear than my Doctor :)
My ID dr said after 4 mnths if i am still detectable below 40 we can switch to another medicine ( perhaps she said viraday is generic nd we dnt have atripla in mycountry ) so she can switch to other branded cocktails ! But i might consider gettng atripla from thailand rather than movng to other cocktail ! I have been on atripla generic for 17 mnths nd i am very fine with it now !

Offline Mightysure

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 11:37:01 am »
Oh thanks Guys, very Clear ! I swear you made it more clear than my Doctor :)
My ID dr said after 4 mnths if i am still detectable below 40 we can switch to another medicine ( perhaps she said viraday is generic nd we dnt have atripla in mycountry ) so she can switch to other branded cocktails ! But i might consider gettng atripla from thailand rather than movng to other cocktail ! I have been on atripla generic for 17 mnths nd i am very fine with it now !

I'm glad that you're doing well and you got your questions answered. I think doctors are moving away from Atripla because of side effects and newer meds that are clinically more effective and fewer side effects.
In the US, Atripla isn't recommended for initial treatment.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 06:50:45 am »
I'm glad that you're doing well and you got your questions answered. I think doctors are moving away from Atripla because of side effects and newer meds that are clinically more effective and fewer side effects.
In the US, Atripla isn't recommended for initial treatment.

Let's be clear -- Atripla is NOT less effective and it is not "Not recommended". 

While it is no longer on the list of combos recommended to start treatment -- there is nothing that recommends AGAINST using it - a subtle, but important distinction.

Atripla is definitely not a drug that everyone can take -- the potential side effects on mental health can be severe (the Sustiva portion is the culprit), but many people have been taking it for years with no issues. I have been on it for 12 years.

I jump in here simply to ensure that people don't misinterpret your warning.  Atripla is a VERY EFFECTIVE treatment for HIV.

Mike
Atripla - Started 12/05
Labs - Pre-Meds
Sep05 T=350/25% VL98,559
Nov05 288/18%  47,564
Current Labs
May2015 969/28% <20

Offline Newtolife

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 10:02:09 am »
Hey Guys
I cannt believe it is been almost a year since my last thread :)
So just to update this thread, my ID dr repeated my VL and CD4 test today ( been 12 mnths ) i know it is too long but thts hw it is in my region
My CD4 is almost the same since 12 mnths back at 657 and CD4% is 35,8, and CD8 37,4 %
My VL is still deductible but less than 40 , i have been on viraday (atripla generic ) for almost 2 and half years
My CBC , creatine test and liver is perfect
Shall i get worried guys? My ID dr said as long as my CD4 is good and kepts almost the same level for 12 mnths tht meant my medicine is good
Any advice plz?

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 10:10:24 am »
Fantastic results  ;)

UD and a perfectly normal CD4 range, does not get much better than that.

Shall i get worried guys?
Worried no, you should be having a party!

Look you are UD as in below 50 copies and that is what the meds are suppose to do, suppress the virus. CD4 is not a measurement of health or the success of the treatment and the meds don't change them. In an HIV negative adult the average CD4% is about 45% ranging from from 24% – 64% or total count 400-1500 range.

You are in the normal range.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 10:16:51 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Newtolife

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 11:10:03 am »
Oh thanks Jim!!!! Love you guys

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2019 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.