Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 24, 2019, 06:10:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 740190
  • Total Topics: 61513
  • Online Today: 142
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 am)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 74
Total: 77

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ pages, including our "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HIV in Saliva?  (Read 1631 times)

Offline worried_boy21

HIV in Saliva?
« on: July 01, 2017, 01:49:48 pm »
Hi guys,

Last night I was out with friends  at a bar and I was introduced to this other guy who was a friend of a friend.

Very nice guy, but one of those people who are super expressive when they talk and happen to spit a lot. Ever heard the term, "say it don't spray it?" Well he was like that.

On two occasions as he was talking I felt a little spit of his get in my mouth or on my lip, and the second time I felt it get in my left eye. Obviously this is just more annoying than anything. I did nothing and wiped it off and just started to back away when chatting with him.

We went on to have a great night and at the end he confided in two of us that he found out he was HIV Positive a year ago. He said he actually had aids by definition due to having such a low CD4.

I don't know much about HIV and Aids other than a few basics so I don't really know what any of that means. However, I'm a hypochondriac and this set off an anxiety episode for me.

Now I'm worried I could have contracted something from his saliva getting in my eye.

Is this possible? I know someone said HIV is in saliva in only very small amounts, but is that the same in someone who has "aids" as he put it to us.

Is there any difference?

Now my brain keeps thinking things like, "what if there was blood in his spit"?

The questions are: Can I have gotten anything from this? Is aids different from HIV in the sense of virus being in saliva etc.

Thanks

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: HIV in Saliva?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 02:32:08 pm »
You had no risk whatsoever.

HIV is transmitted only in very limited fluids and only inside the human body like during unprotected intercourse.

HIV virus that can lead to a person infected developing aids or advanced HIV as most call it nowadays is not present in saliva, neither in levels capable of infection or in condition to infect.

You had no risk.
Read some of links in my signature below this post but move on with your life.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline worried_boy21

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 11:28:14 pm »
Hello All,

Earlier this evening I had a "hookup" with another male in his late 20's. We did not know each other previously and met on a social networking website.

I was the "bottom" aka the receptive partner with respect to the sexual activity. I performed condomless oral sex on him, and had anal sex WITH a condom. The issue is though, there was a lot of fourplay.

Prior to this encounter I used Nair to wax my anal region. I left it on too long and the area was a little sensitive. When water from the shower touched it it stung a little. It wasn't bleeding or anything like that, but the area was just tender from the nair. As such, there was probably some level of "mucus membranes" exposed in that area even if small....

He rubbed his penis around the anal region before putting on the condom...I'm afraid pre cum could have gotten into this tender area and trasmitted HIV. Secondly, he fingered me quite roughly so I'm also worried if he had a cut on his finger and got blood into me, or what if he had seamen on his hands from touching his penis?

The last point of concern was the ejaculation at the end which got on my face and some into my eye causing my eye to be red afterwards. I read that the eye is considered "occupational hazard" etc.

I asked him straight up his HIV status he CLAIMED he was HIV negative and was last tested in September. This sounds all great right?

No... because after the hookup we hung out and chatted a while and the conversation FREAKED me out. He was mentioning how he often times participates in condomless sex as a receptive partner (he's versatile) and that his mental health condition causes him to participate in high risk activity.

Why he told me all this I have no clue. It just freaked me out, to hear that a guy I just had sex with does all these high risk things....very odd. The conversation made me very paranoid that he was lieing about his status or something.

After I went home I asked him again by text message his HIV status, he once again said he was negative and that I had no reason to worry either way because we used a condom etc.

Can someone just please tell me their thoughts on all of this, and the risk for the things I mentioned? I can't sleep now. I feel like I just had sex with some high risk prostitute or something. Had he told me this stuff BEFORE we would NOT have had sex. Mind you, I did ask him what his status was before we had sex and he said Negative. Anyway my mind is just racing.

Any insight is appreciated. Thank you!

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 02:05:47 am »
I asked him straight up his HIV status he CLAIMED he was HIV negative and was last tested in September. This sounds all great right?

Irrelevant. He tested in Sept so due to the window period that means he was negative sometime in July. Even if he tested today all it means is he was negative some 3 months ago.

Prior to this encounter I used Nair to wax my anal region. I left it on too long and the area was a little sensitive. When water from the shower touched it it stung a little. It wasn't bleeding or anything like that, but the area was just tender from the nair. As such, there was probably some level of "mucus membranes" exposed in that area even if small....

He rubbed his penis around the anal region before putting on the condom...I'm afraid pre cum could have gotten into this tender area and trasmitted HIV. Secondly, he fingered me quite roughly so I'm also worried if he had a cut on his finger and got blood into me, or what if he had seamen on his hands from touching his penis?

The foreplay and frottage (rubbing his penis against you) is not a HIV concern regardless of waxing.  Waxing does not provide a direct route, HIV is fragile and sexually only transmitted inside the human body as in never being exposed to the environment outside the body

The finger concern, nobody has ever been infected from fingering and unless he chopped the end of his finger off and it was bleeding all over the place you will not be the worlds first.

Giving the BJ is a near negligible concern so much so we don't recommend specific testing over a BJ. Relax and move on with your life. 

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider starting PrEP as an additional layer of protection against HIV

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature to our POZ pages, this includes information on HIV Testing

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline worried_boy21

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 01:51:46 pm »
Hi,

I've used this board before and have another question regarding a recent encounter.

I was tested last week for everything STD related by my doctor and all my results were great and negative for HIV, HEP, SYPH, MONO, Ghono, CHLY etc etc.

I met up with a guy who I've had sex with once in the past a few days after testing. I asked him if he was clean too, he said yes, but I don't think hes been tested. He just says " Yeah I'm Clean". Which to me is stupid because how do you KNOW you are clean without blood work? He also later revealed that he enjoys "anonymous" hookups whatever that means.

The point I'm making is, I'm of course not worried about myself knowing my status from just a week ago and him being the only person I've had any contact sexually with both months before my test, and within the week after.

But I AM worried about his status. We participated in oral sex and intercourse with me as the receptive anal partner. Condoms and lube were used. After this first round of sex we stopped for a little while. I have always had hemmrhoids that tend to bleed lightly. After him penetrating me the first time and us having sex for about 20 minutes I'm confident the anus area was irritated and probably even causing a bit of bleeding from the hemmroids I know I have.

At one point he started getting on top of me and rubbing his penis in between my anus and tried to insert it WITHOUT a condom. I ofcourse pushed him off and pulled away explaining I do NOT have unprotected sex with anyone. Especially if we're not even dating.

He then went and got a condom.

My concern here is he did this after our first round of sex. I later used the washroom and there was a bit of blood on the toilet paper which tells me the anal hole was definitely torn a bit and probably had some irritation and open cut tissue at the time he tried to insert it raw...

It (his penis) definitely touched my anus and rub against it for at least 30 seconds before I successfully pushed him off.

My question is, suppose this guy is positive and doesn't know it, would his pre-cum have gotten into the irrittated anus and hemmrhoid that was proably bleeding and transmitted HIV to me?

Thank you!

PS. I keep asking him more info on his status but he just keeps saying he knows hes clean. He hasn't even gotten tested so to me his status is unknown and he clearly participated in high risk activity based on what he told me afterwards.

Thanks again!

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 02:08:44 pm »
The hemorrhoid, rubbing against it, blood on tissue etc etc etc I read all of it and no HIV risk.

Giving a blowjob is a near negelible concern, no need to run out and test though just test whenever next normally due

I asked him if he was clean too, he said yes, but I don't think hes been tested. He just says " Yeah I'm Clean". Which to me is stupid because how do you KNOW you are clean without blood work? He also later revealed that he enjoys "anonymous" hookups whatever that means

Blood work is irrelevant...

He could test today all it would mean is he was negative some 3 months ago due to the window period.

... Totally pointless

PS. I keep asking him more info on his status but he just keeps saying he knows hes clean

Totally pointless, and none of your business what his status is.

The word “clean” to indicate "Negative" "STI Negative" suggests that an HIV-positive result and therefor people living with HIV are unclean, dirty. I'm clean I washed this morning, HIV does not make me dirty or come from being dirty.

The term "clean" can be very offensive to some people living with HIV particularly new people coping with a new dignoisis and the fear of stigma that comes with it, so since this is a HIV community forum I would ask you to watch your language even if its a quote!

Move on with your life!

Jim
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2019 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.