Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2020, 12:15:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 35555
  • Latest: xarris
Stats
  • Total Posts: 756723
  • Total Topics: 63993
  • Online Today: 252
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 241
Total: 241

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Why the test paper showed Negative? (I have already been diagnosed)  (Read 2686 times)

Offline xiecn

Hello Everyone :)
  Umm.. I am a new comer here and I actually have been here for a while on the furum and also learning here sometime. By the way My English is not my first language so forgive me if there is something hard to understand for you. there might be some sentenses that doesn't make any sense but I'm triying :/
 I have been diagnosed for 14 months and started meds immediately since diagnosis and now the cd4 counts are 680(tested 2 months ago, first test was 480), and the vl is undetectable(11000 at the first time),so everything is going fine with me.Now i have already accepted it and  living with it peacefuly. Okay, no more nonsense so here comes my question...
It happened a week ago, I went to the hospital for something. and I was chatting with my doctor, then he said he got 2 test pappers left. it was Aware for the English name I guess, and I asked her if i can test again, just for fun you know.. because i already knew my condition so I didnt really mean to ask her to test me . but she just said yes. there is another person next to me who has been dignosed as well. and we tested together. I didnt except anything but waiting for it, coz i knew it will appear with 2 red line after few mins, but it turned out to be really confusing that my test paper keep being with only one line, while the another person's have showed 2 lines. and 20 mins later that was the same :-\. the doctor and I thought it was really weird. and doctor suggested I do a test again for the antigen but I gave it up because  i knew it's unneccassery.
 I'm not sure weather the antibody will be gone after being on meds. or just becasue the test papper had some problem I KNew test pappers are not steady sometime. so what I wanna ask is that could it be possible for that case?  or should I really do a test again.
and I really appreciate it for anyone who reads this or give me some opinions, thanks again

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Why the test paper showed Negative? (I have already been diagnosed)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 09:57:40 am »
I would do the test again . If a person is HIV positive they will always test positive unless its a defective test or something else is going on meds will not make you test negative after your seroconvert. Please work with you doctor and come back with an update.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Mightysure

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 12:24:57 pm »
For some reason this can happen.  I know they say the rapid tests are just as sensitive as lab tests,  but I don't think so.  It may not be that you have no antibodies,  it could be that they're too low for that test to detect.
I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Unless you're convinced you've been possibly misdiagnosed,  I wouldn't pursue it any further.

Offline SmartArg

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 10:23:42 pm »
For some reason this can happen.  I know they say the rapid tests are just as sensitive as lab tests,  but I don't think so.  It may not be that you have no antibodies,  it could be that they're too low for that test to detect.
I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Unless you're convinced you've been possibly misdiagnosed,  I wouldn't pursue it any further.

If you are HIV positive and do not have enough antibodies to test positive after you have seroconverted you are days or hours away from death and so sick you would not be online asking about it .

The best the OP can do is take this up with his doctor again and find out why this happened.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Mightysure

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 10:38:44 pm »
If you are HIV positive and do not have enough antibodies to test positive after you have seroconverted you are days or hours away from death and so sick you would not be online asking about it .

The best the OP can do is take this up with his doctor again and find out why this happened.
Does that apply to this test? Have any studies been done on this test to make that determination? Even in the package insert there are people who test negative even though it's been established that they're poz.  I haven't seen anything on that topic, it was just a theory. I don't understand why they should pursue it when they're numbers seem to be just fine.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 10:47:43 pm »
Does that apply to this test? Have any studies been done on this test to make that determination? Even in the package insert there are people who test negative even though it's been established that they're poz.  I haven't seen anything on that topic, it was just a theory. I don't understand why they should pursue it when they're numbers seem to be just fine.

This a pretty good explanation. Once you have tested positive for HIV you will always test antibody positive unless you are Timothy Brown the Berlin Patient.
http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Q201813.html
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline xiecn

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 02:01:39 am »
hi Jeff How are you!
After nearly 4 years, I did the hiv test again, (Aware Oral )  and it showed Negtive
here is the result
actually before this and during the past 4 years I tried 2 times of the test, all turned to be Negative.
I still have no idea why, but I guess it has something to do with my hiv antibody.  Since i was diagnosed i tested negative after 1 year and now still the same. will the antibody be gone and disappear so fast? I have not heard about any cases like this around me, so I'm still confused

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 06:24:32 am »
Asides from incorrect usage, the odd false negative on screening tests, this could just be a faulty or poor rapid test kit.

Although I really don't understand why you are wasting your time and efforts with screening tests and oral swap ones at that! It's not even used for diagnosis and totally unneeded.

There are only a tiny amount of truly documented exceptions of people not producing any antibodies, this can be counted on hand and unless you think you are dying it's nothing to worry about. The short of it is you are HIV positive on lab results? If so that's it.

Anyhow, hope you are feeling well and doing okay with treatment.

Jim
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 06:38:17 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Expat1

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 10:50:34 pm »
The routine procedures at the lab where I test is they do an Eliza 3rd generation test first.  IF POSITIVE THEY DO A 4TH GENERATION TEST TO CONFIRM. 

THE CD4 AND Viral Load test follow.  So when you have 2 positive ELIZA test with a viral load test that indicates the amount of virus in 1 mm.  You are positive.  NEVER need to do screening test again.  It is pointless. 

Any negatives at that point are false negatives.  No need to waste time or money to repeat.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.