Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:55:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 358
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 332
Total: 333

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Constant weight loss...help?  (Read 9774 times)

Offline yowsaa

Constant weight loss...help?
« on: November 26, 2006, 02:57:15 am »
I know this is not as serious of an issue as some I've read on here, but it is driving me quite loony and just about at the end of my rope. Banging my head going on a year about this and the people at the clinic just give me a blank look when I broach the topic. When I read here about ppl with lipo, are they going through the total slow weight loss also?

My hands are so veiny it makes me sick to look at them.

Nutritionist gave me some meal supplements to try, I just don't hope any fat gain all goes to my gut only and not everywhere else.

Has anyone stopped the weight loss syndrome. This constant losing weight is driving me bonkers ???????????

I can't say it's just lipo (why I posted here) , as I'm losing about 2 llbs every 3 months like clockwork. What do I tell people?
So far, two people have commented about my losing weight. Another year of this and I will most definitely have the total AIDS look  :'(

Should I :
get off the nrti's?
med holiday? (~1200 cd4)
happy to be alive and quit complaining?
Can't stop the syndrome. Quit meds and die with dignity?
what worked for you?
Reccommend anyone knowledgeable in Ontario about this prob?
What can I try? What to avoid?

I'm feeling a full life expectancy with this disease is nothing but a cruel joke. Yep, live a full life, just don't go outside and avoid people you know. Not usually a wussy so forgive me.

P.S. Has anyone on AM ever set up some kind of slush fund to help those less fortunate here, get lipo fillers or meds (universal healthcare in CAN so...?)

yowsaa (We're all in this boat together...until I evaporate)

Offline bkrason

R
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 05:49:10 am »
I
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 11:49:44 pm by bkrason »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Constant weight loss...help?
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 01:34:02 pm »
What's the total % of weight you have lost?  How close to normal weight for your sex and height were you previous to the weight loss?

I had two experiences of >15% total body weight loss in the past six years and each time I regained my weight loss though it generally took 12 months to do so each time.  First I went on testosterone supplementation (did your doctor not offer you this?) and I also ATE ATE ATE.   We're talking things like bowls of ice cream every day, etc.  Plus I'd also take a lot of protein shakes -- maybe two per day. 

And yes, my weight loss was concurrent with lipo beginning for me.  The weight gain didn't return to my limbs, ass or face (well, ok... a little bit) but it's still good to gain some of the weight back when you lose that much that quickly.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline yowsaa

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 04:44:50 am »
Hey Philly,
187 in 2004 to 167 now. Wrote CHECK TESTOTERONE in my notes for next appt. Just started the protein shakes ( doc gave me a bunch of different ones so I can see which I like, than buy those). Would be too funny seeing this skinny guy at the grocery checkout buying 25 different kinds and flavours of protein shakes  ;D   Mmmm Ice cream, good idea  :) Thank-you so much for sharing, felt like they were looking at me like I was talking chinese at the clinic when I brought the subject up. Looks like I have to eat like a teenager again ! You've given me some hope, thanks! What meds were you on and than switched too for this?

Don't distress yourself Brian. What I am speaking of would have no relevance to your shedding 70 lbs. Don't know what your cause is but I can guarantee it is a total different issue than what we talk of. Forgive me for being bold but I'm guessing you were somewhat overweight as per your docs comment. What we talk of could be classified as a common though non-life threatening related side effect of some medications. Throw 20 lbs over my way and we'll call it even  ;)

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 11:38:25 am »
Has anyone stopped the weight loss syndrome. This constant losing weight is driving me bonkers ???????????

I was able to reverse it. I was 134 pounds last year (at a height of 5'8" (male)) As to how, I think the turnaround started with THC Marinol. I'm now 158 (slightly over) and no longer need Marinol

As for the rest of how the wasting was reversed, the truth is, I don't know, but I'm grateful

What did the nutritionist and the doctor say? Are you or your birth family members naturally lean? Stress is often a factor

You're not gonna evaporate honey.. We're with you every step of the way
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 11:57:19 am by allopathicholistic »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 11:45:40 am »
yowsaa:  I can't remember what medication I was on in that time period, frankly.  Too long ago and I've been on about everything because of PI resistance during that period and I could never get my VL down.  I also had LOTS of diarrhea problems at the time so I'm sure half of what I ate got shit out immediately.   

Offline yowsaa

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 12:24:10 pm »
Added that THC Marinol to my list, thanks and will check it out. Hope the THC means it will get me high  :) or at least give the munchies  ;) . Doc ignored the topic and just started with the nutritionist. Lean, yes. Concentration camp survivor, no. Funny thing is... this is stressing me out lol.

Hopefully the VL is controlled now philly. Hear ya bout the diarrhea. Just so proud of myself now when I have a normal #2, almost like a celebration ! Weird, but when I have Raisan Bran I'm plugged up for a day.

Yak later guys. Have a good one !

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 12:39:06 pm »
Hope the THC means it will get me high  :) or at least give the munchies  ;) . Doc ignored the topic and just started with the nutritionist.

There's a possibility that it might make you high. Here's another thread in Living With which might be of interest to you: http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=5980.0  It makes mention of "Mepron" and "Megace" which I've never heard of personally but explore as many options as possible honey - there's hope out there

Hugz
Alex

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 05:44:58 pm »
I have taken both Marinol and Megace/Megasol and they help reverse my weight loss and complete lack of appetite.  I was only recently diagnosed and from July to October lost about 40 pounds.  Have now regained about 20 and am no longer taking either med.  When I was taking Marinol (in the hospital) I didn't feel the same high I used to get when I smoked the real thing but did feel a little dizzy and confused.  In fact I asked my doctor to reduce the dose since I was eating well and it did give me the munchies (love those Snickers bars!).

Would guess everyones reactions will be different depending on other meds etc.  I also recently read that Megace will interfere with some of the other meds I am taking so I won't be using it if I start to lose appetite again.

Hope you are able to find a solution that works for you.  Good luck!

And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 01:06:11 pm »
For what it's worth, and because I've not seen anyone else mention it, there's also a anti-depression/anxiety item out there called Remeron the side effect of which is to INCREASE appetite.  And yes, it really does work or did for me.  During my last weight loss it made me eat more than anything, especially surprisingly at the lower doseage.  Check it out.  Also, it has sedative properties but is non-addictive so if you also have some mild sleep issues this is a good thing to take for now three reasons (mental health, appetite and sleep).  It also never made me feel groggy in the morning so as long as you take it before bed you should be quite fine.

Also, I recently stopped taking it after 4 years on it and had no withdrawl symptoms after tapering off of it during one month's time.  I only stopped it because now I'm 15 lbs. OVER my ideal weight.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.