Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 29, 2020, 08:01:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 752463
  • Total Topics: 63406
  • Online Today: 405
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 262
Total: 264

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 'Who's The Boss' Star Reveals He Is Living With HIV  (Read 2853 times)

Offline tednlou2

'Who's The Boss' Star Reveals He Is Living With HIV
« on: September 28, 2015, 03:08:38 am »
The former sitcom star, Danny Pintauro, revealed he tested positive in 2003, in a interview with Oprah on Saturday.  I think telling family and friends is very brave.  You open yourself up to possible hurtful responses and being let down.

He discusses meth use.  He also discusses so many feelings-- one being a feeling of relief he no longer had to worry about being infected.  He says that will sound very strange to many.  This article has a clip of the interview.  I haven't found the full interview.  If anyone finds it, please post it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/danny-pintauro-hiv-positive_5602ffb9e4b08820d91b635a

Offline tednlou2

Re: 'Who's The Boss' Star Reveals He Is Living With HIV
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 02:25:21 am »
Danny was on The View today.  For those who don't know, Christian-fanatic, Candance Cameron (sister to the nut Kirk) is a co-host now.  She wanted to know if he takes responsibility for his lifestyle..pause..of getting into meth and promiscuity.  You could almost see gay on the tip of her tongue.  It was such a stupid and demeaning question, IMHO.

What do you think of the interview?

http://youtu.be/AFPt71nSsB4

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 02:36:38 pm »
I wonder if he were a female with HIV if the unprotected sex question would have been asked.. I didn't like the way these two interviewed him.. Though he's quite brave for doing this show.. Too bad Rosie Perez wasn't there, think she is a better host and wouldn't have come off as judgmental as these two did.. Yeah, didn't like the statement of "not all child actors go through this" or something like that.

Danny should have had told her about those studies with the couples that kept the negative partner negative after years without condoms and continued adherence with ART, think he was unprepared for the interview.

But he's got balls for doing interviews like this and disclosing in public, wish him well.
"Hang on to your hopes my friend..
thats an easy thing to say,
but if your hope should pass away,
simply pretend that you could build them again"...

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 06:30:56 pm »
I applaud his decision to use his celebrity to raise awareness for hiv & crystal meth use. I've been there myself. Crystal meth is a very toxic, pervasive thing in part of the gay community. It's VERY available & accessible unfortunately. After I came out & started experimenting & meeting guys, I'd say about 6/10 guys would at least be open to partying with meth, gina, or coke, but meth was the most common literally it seemed to be everywhere. If you went to an orgy the chances of meth being there were pretty good. I myself used it, mostly during or right before/after sex, with multiple guys at once,or one on one. I was lucky never had an issue with addiction to it, but I did nearly OD on it twice.  :(

I saw Danny on The View he was very articulate & poised & open I enjoyed it. WHat pissed me OFF was Candace Cameron she point blank asked him if he took responsibility for meth & promiscuity. And then she proceeded to tell him & his husband that they should use protection in their marriage that came off really sanctimonious for me. And the other co-host asked if they used protection at all. I mean hello that's too personal he handled it with class but that pissed me off.

"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline LukasAtlPZ

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 04:03:10 pm »
I think I would have told her something along the lines, of my partner and my private life is none of your concern. I don't think I would have been very nice about it.

Since when did some of these Christians become such nosey busybodies?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 04:19:10 pm »
Check out this story I shared it on Facebook from another forum members feed .
There are many problems with this guys story and I wish he had taken the time to come to terms with his infection before he tried to be a spokesman for the POZ community . He did us no favors.

http://marksking.com/my-fabulous-disease/how-do-we-solve-a-problem-like-pintauro/?fb_action_ids=10207951553810947&fb_action_types=og.likes
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 04:21:16 pm by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 06:39:40 pm »
I would have point blank told her, "our sex life is none of your business". He choked. She was totally out of line asking that kind of question. Would she have asked an hiv-positive straight couple if they "took responsibility" or "used protection"? I highly doubt it. She's full of shit. Perpetuating the myth that HIV is a "gay" "drug" disease. He should have called her on that bullshit.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 07:19:06 pm »
Check out this story I shared it on Facebook from another forum members feed .
There are many problems with this guys story and I wish he had taken the time to come to terms with his infection before he tried to be a spokesman for the POZ community . He did us no favors.

http://marksking.com/my-fabulous-disease/how-do-we-solve-a-problem-like-pintauro/?fb_action_ids=10207951553810947&fb_action_types=og.likes

I'm sure he's likely just remembering things differently, or maybe outright lying.  But, I can't be sure about that.  I don't like when people say oral transmission is impossible and that saliva would kill every bit of it immediately.  While seemingly very rare, it is not impossible.

If he really was infected from condomless anal sex (which is tons more likely to be the case), then he is doing a disservice by talking about it, but not being honest.  He would help others much more by just saying he took it raw.  Or, that he was so messed up on drugs, that he has no idea whether a condom was used or whether it stayed in place, or whether the guy took it off.  I'm assuming he's the bottom, when I really don't know. 

While we know being tired and rundown can lower our immune systems, I don't think there is evidence that we are more likely to be infected, when we are tired and worn out.  It may work that way with a cold, but I'm don't think that's the case with HIV.  If he had some reliable studies to back up his claim, then I would love to read it.  I suppose once we are infected, it makes a difference whether we are using drugs and worn out.  But, not in terms of becoming infected. 

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 01:47:34 pm »
Really not a fan of the View and found the two ladies annoying and as far as host go, unprofessional.. Too bad Rosie wasn't there, I do like her, she's stood up for AIDS activism and her mom also had it along with a heroin addiction, Danny might have had a better interview with her, sure she would have been more understanding..

HIV infects all kinds of people from all walks of life but I do see that some groups carry a bigger burden than others.. I'm not gay but watching Danny's husband's look as he was questioned about his sex life, I also felt uncomfortable for him as he stood in there in disbelief.. He never answered..
Interviews like this just reaffirm my belief that disclosure is not an option for me.. Too many a-holes out there judging what they don't really understand.. Danny is a brave young activist but needs to be ready to defend himself if he is going to continue having interviews..

An article I found while googling HIV news ( a little habit of mine ) on this subject was quite interesting..

http://www.advocate.com/hiv-aids/2015/10/07/how-not-interview-hiv-positive-person
"Hang on to your hopes my friend..
thats an easy thing to say,
but if your hope should pass away,
simply pretend that you could build them again"...

Offline cloverfield

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 12:27:19 pm »
I've seen some of the videos, haven't seen the entire first interview... i totally don't like the way he is presenting the facts and the way he is talking about this.  think he is doing no favor to the poz community.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.