Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 16, 2021, 04:31:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 35695
  • Latest: Mel90
Stats
  • Total Posts: 758009
  • Total Topics: 64174
  • Online Today: 236
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 206
Total: 207

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The start of a new life with a twist  (Read 3373 times)

Offline Theycallthislife

• A concerned husband
The start of a new life with a twist
« on: November 15, 2014, 08:43:54 pm »
So I'm reaching out on here for some support and advice.

So me and my husband recently got married to start our life together from a long distance relationship. Once my husband got under my insurance he went to the doctor and they decided to do a routine STD/HIV check. A few weeks later we got a call from the doctor that he should come in with me. We didn't think that it was HIV. We thought it was just something little. Turns out he was HIV+. Just to toss it out there it turns out he came into contact with an HIV+ guy before and thought he may have contacted it. He took an oral swab test and it came back negative. Accounting to our doctor they aren't great for right off the bat testing. Please get a blood test. I got my test done to see if I was positive as well. But I'm still negative as of now.

He made it very clear that he didn't want anyone to know or for this to change his life. So I don't have anyone to talk to about this... Kinda why I'm reaching out on here. He talks to his mother about it (she's also a nurse). But I don't have anyone to vent to and it's slowly killing me. So I'm looking for others that's partners are positive but you are still negative. What should I prepare myself for? What's going to happen? What do you guys do... Is sex still an option? Is there an easy choice with life insurance for HIV+?

Thank you all for the support,
TheyCallThisLife

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: The start of a new life with a twist
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 08:54:12 pm »
Welcome to the forum . There is a lot of information and support here so I hope we can address some of your concerns and get you the information you need to be comfortable and secure having sex with your partner . HIV is transmitted from unprotected anal and vaginal sex so as long as you use condoms correctly and consistently you will be OK .
These are some links I think you will find helpful
http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Transmission_9927.shtml
http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Transmission_17146.shtml
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Theycallthislife

• A concerned husband
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 09:01:56 pm »
Thank you,

I'm currently on travada to help keep me negative but that's only a 75% protection rate. Since the diagnosis we have tried to refrain from sex or use a condom if we do. But has anyone been taking travada for an extended time? Have you had any problems while on it?

Offline zach

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 09:03:04 pm »
can you talk to his mother if you need to be able to vent? like jeff said, with education, and with prevention, you can protect yourself. with treatment, your husband will fine.

sex is an option. go get it out of the way. wear a condom, enjoy.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 09:07:39 pm »
If you are adherent PrEP is very effective … much better than you seem to think .

PrEP only works if you take it. Data from the iPrEx trial show that daily adherence reduces HIV risk between 96 percent and greater than 99 percent. Those who took four doses a week remained fully protected, and those who took two lowered their chance of getting HIV by 76 percent

http://www.poz.com/factsheets/fs_2014_09_prep.pdf
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 09:07:58 pm »
75%? where'd you get that?

i got 92% from the CDC http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/prevention/research/prep/

add that with a reliably undetectable viral load in the positive partner, and proper condom use

your risk is approaching nil, mathematically improbable and nearly impossible in real world

Offline Theycallthislife

• A concerned husband
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 09:18:30 pm »
I'm not that close with his mother and she still gets emotional while talking about it. I would like to have a friend to talk to but he doesn't want anyone to know and I respect that.

I also had a question on treatment... Last week he accidentally took his morning as evening pill at once and within 30 mins was nauseous and vomiting. Our doctor told him to skip his pm dose that night and start again the following morning. He got I'll again that morning as well but he seems to be fine after taking them now. The doctor thinks maybe his body is rejecting the treatment and maybe start him on something new. But I know with missing or changing medication can cause the virus to become resistant to meds.

Sorry I got 75% from my doctor. But that's good to know that's there's a much better protect rate since they have me on travada daily

I know you guys probably aren't doctors but just asking if anyone has had this happen? He's currently on travada & Isentress

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 09:21:55 pm »
It can take a few weeks for the body to get used to the meds sometimes. If for some reason he doesn't settle into this combo there are others he can go to … give it some time .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 09:45:56 pm »
i'm on the same meds your husband is on

don't double dose, of course he puked

take his pills roughly the same time everyday

give it a week or two to see if things get better, it takes a minute, this is some serious meds we're subjecting out bodies to

keep a daily log, notes of how things go

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 10:43:37 pm »
You are assuming things that are false.  75% effective rate was false. Or at least a bad case scenario.
"changing meds can cause the virus to become resistant" = false.
Where are you getting this stuff?

People can change meds under doctor's supervision and for a variety of reasons. But yeah its more delicate when someone is just starting meds.

Furthermore, someone can take 1 day - 1 truvada and 2 isentress and feel no ill effects.  But yeah, it takes people awhile to get used to being on 3 drug combo.  Have you had any effects from Truvada, by the way?

I am checking now:  Truvada is once a day, you know. And isentress 2x.  (They haven't given the ok for taking the 3 pills at one time yet.  But unofficial reports show it works but this is for people with long undetectable status. I did it for about 6 months and it never made me sick to take the 3 pills at once.)

I am just checking that he is only taking 1 truvada a day, not 2.

Also, maybe he should join the Forum??

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Theycallthislife

• A concerned husband
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 05:09:21 am »
All these facts are coming from Landstuhl Regional Medical in Germany.

He is taking the travada once a day and the isentress twice.

I have told him to try out this site and forum but he doesn't seem to want to at this point. We have a lot going on right now. With me trying to get a reassignment back to the states so he can receive better treatment. I think he will be more likely to joint once we get settled in the states.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2021 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.