Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 14, 2019, 11:30:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 749180
  • Total Topics: 62889
  • Online Today: 1525
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (Yesterday at 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 85
Total: 89

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV Replication in Spinal Fluid Years after ART Suppression  (Read 3301 times)

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
HIV Replication in Spinal Fluid Years after ART Suppression
« on: October 02, 2014, 03:21:18 pm »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline buginme2

Re: HIV Replication in Spinal Fluid Years after ART Suppression
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 04:55:07 pm »
This has been assumed to be the case for awhile.

It's why we all lose our mental capacities, memories, difficulties with word recall, etc. 

HAND hiv neurocognitive disease.   I'm my opinion is pretty prevalent.  I don't know what the stats are but it's part of the package.

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 05:14:02 pm »
Do we "all" lose our mental capacities, etc.?  I'm just asking (not challenging your statement).  Or is a certain percentage who may get HAND, in a seemingly random, unpredictable way, just like not everyone gets PCP, or MAC, or this or that?

Are well all doomed to this fate?  Many of the LTS on this forum seem pretty sharp and articulate to me, so I'm hoping that most of us will not suffer cognitive injury due to HIV.  People like Larry Kramer seem okay (of course, he's near 80).  HAND would be something I would fear most.

I think the takeaway from this research piece, is that the replication goes on even after full suppression, which I presume means UD status.  Is that news?  Or has that been known for awhile?  Again, just asking because I'm learning.

Any thoughts on this from folks?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined forum Dec/2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 07:05:24 pm »

I think the takeaway from this research piece, is that the replication goes on even after full suppression, which I presume means UD status.  Is that news?  Or has that been known for awhile?  Again, just asking because I'm learning.

Any thoughts on this from folks?

HIV effects the brain "IMMEDIATELY " after you are infected.

Hi Ptrk,..

This has been an ongoing discussion between myself and my HIV doctor, also between myself and a Nurse practitioner that I see regularly, for probably a year now.

Please feel free to view this thread. I place the reports up for a reason !!

Just to give you a brief history on myself.  HIV positive since 1985, not on any medication until October of 2003.  Currently almost 63 years old. Have been undetectable since early 2004, and remain that way currently.

I consider myself pretty sharp, most of the time.  Others times, well,..... maybe not so.  This is why these tests were done. And there may be further testing in the near future, consisting of checking spinal fluid.

My biggest issues are sometimes finding the correct words to use, or sometimes an objects name. Going blank in mid sentence, loosing thought. My memories from years ago are still very sharp, It's short term memory for me that is the issue

Dementia/ Alzheimer's has never been a part of my family history.

Here's that thread.  Some report pages are out of numerical order, but they are all there, and you may have to go back and forth on the two pages of this thread to read then , by page order.

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=54084.0

Ray

Current Meds ; Biktarvy, 10mg of Atorvastatin, 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Amlodipine Besolate 5mg-- Updated 8/28/19

Diagnosed positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of 10/16/19,  Viral load remains <40

CD 4 @577 /  CD4 % @ 17 %

67 years young.

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 07:33:11 pm »
It's why we all lose our mental capacities, memories, difficulties with word recall, etc.
speak for yourself! LOL
while I may agree that HAND is prevalent, I know lots of HIV poz people from 10-30+ years who are in their 50s-70s without a single neurocognitive  issue

Estimates on the prevalence of HAND vary. In one large study, up to 50 percent of people were diagnosed with HAND—the vast majority with asymptomatic or mild impairment—though other studies have found rates as low as 15 percent. HAND appears to be more common in older people, people coinfected with HIV and hepatitis C virus (HCV), those with cardiovascular disease (CVD) and those who’ve been HIV-positive for a long time. People with uncontrolled HIV also appear to have higher rates of HAND than people with undetectable HIV levels.
aidsmeds Lessons: http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/NeurocognitiveDisorder_20400.shtml
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2017
Tivicay/Prezcobix

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 07:35:07 pm »
Thanks, J.R.E., for your response.  I will carefully read your link.  BTW:  you seem pretty sharp to me and on top of your game!

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 07:35:45 pm »
HIV effects the brain "IMMEDIATELY " after you are infected.

I also think hiv starts damaging the brain immediately but I do not believe that has been proven, has it? Regardless, I would bet quite a bit of money on hiv damaging the brain asap based on personal experience.

As far as your question "do we all lose our mental capabilities etc?"  My answer is I don't know, maybe, probably not.

Hiv is not just a virus that affects your cd4 cells and nothing else, it affects a lot.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 07:40:13 pm by buginme2 »
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 07:37:10 pm »
Thanks, leatherman.  You seem to be one of those folks, as does J.R.E., so that gives me comfort!
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 07:39:24 pm »
Thanks, buginme2.  You seem to be doing well, too, so let's hope for "probably not."
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline xinyuan

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 11:44:12 pm »
Their cohort is from only 2 sites and consists of only 45 patients.

ART's do not behave equally. Thus, they alone could be major confounders in the results.

So, why is it so hard for the researchers to disclose what ART's they're using? Simply saying only 3 ART's was sufficient for inclusion tells me nothing. Moreover, they could have switched combinations, further confounding the results.

Without that information, this study is practically useless from a medical therapy perspective. And only reaffirms what we already know.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2014, 11:49:55 pm »
It is hard to keep up with all the studies I read.  I should really create a bookmark, for those that are of great interest. 

Anyway, I thought there was a newer study, which said brain impairment didn't seem to be as significant as previously believed??  Did I dream that or mix it up with some other study?  I went searching for it, but couldn't find it.  I did find an AIDSMAP article, which said it is often so mild, that most don't notice it, and that it can only be picked up on sophisticated tests. 

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/NeurocognitiveDisorder_20398.shtml

Offline xinyuan

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2014, 11:51:05 pm »
Hiv is not just a virus that affects your cd4 cells and nothing else, it affects a lot.

Too true.

It has been found to cause special forms of diseases including neuropathy, blood disorders, heart failure, and many more.

Offline tryingtostay

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 02:39:15 am »
8 Months prior to my dx I had a week long panic attack.  I think that was my conversion point so I believe that it effects the brain very very early. 

Offline xman

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 11:02:55 am »
what this studies always lack to address is if this is a replication competent, active virus or only the presence of death particles. we know that haart inactivates virus in plasma and other fluids. it could simply be a random release from the reservoir instead of replicative virus.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 11:07:30 am by xman »
sign the petition launched by the aids policy project addressed to the nih aimed to increase the money needed to find the cure:

http://www.aidspolicyproject.org/petition_for_the_nih

we can make a difference and we need to fight. please support them! it doesn't cost you anything. they need it now more than ever!

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined forum Dec/2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 09:55:31 pm »
Thanks, J.R.E., for your response.  I will carefully read your link.  BTW:  you seem pretty sharp to me and on top of your game!

Thanks !  :D I bet you say that to all the hot daddies !!  ;D  I do appreciate that !  ;)

Ray 8)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 09:58:01 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Biktarvy, 10mg of Atorvastatin, 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Amlodipine Besolate 5mg-- Updated 8/28/19

Diagnosed positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of 10/16/19,  Viral load remains <40

CD 4 @577 /  CD4 % @ 17 %

67 years young.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2019 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.