Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 12:55:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

  • Total Members: 31653
  • Latest: rObtz
  • Total Posts: 720852
  • Total Topics: 58469
  • Online Today: 342
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 291
Total: 295


Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

  • Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

  • We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

  • Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: International student to enroll in USA college in 2015  (Read 1737 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline suha82

  • New Member
  • Posts: 2
International student to enroll in USA college in 2015
« on: July 12, 2014, 12:32:53 AM »
I hava a question and i'm an asian guy.I've planned to do a phd in USA, is there any possibility to get insurance coverage from the uni/usa govt for hiv meds? what is the first step i should do after touching down in USA?

Offline JR Gabbard

  • Moderator
  • Member
  • Posts: 283
  • Union Jacks
Re: International student to enroll in USA college in 2015
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 11:01:48 AM »
Your first step, before you leave home, is to ask your university whether they offer a student healthcare plan.  Most universities do, so there's a good start.  That insurance plan would cover HIV medications.
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,
The minor fall, the major lift,
The baffled king composing Hallelujah!

L. Cohen

Offline emeraldize

  • Member
  • Posts: 3,398
Re: International student to enroll in USA college in 2015
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 05:56:05 PM »
Here's an example of how the University of Maryland lays out their info to students.

Perhaps the school you hope to attend has a similar page on their website.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 06:11:44 PM by emeraldize »

Offline BT65

  • Global Moderator
  • Member
  • Posts: 10,785
Re: International student to enroll in USA college in 2015
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 06:21:04 PM »
Get a hold of the nearest ASO (Aids service organization).  I know at the one I was employed at, there were a couple students from abroad.  Because they had student visas, they were able to get ID's and SS numbers.  The enables people to get on insurance easier.  The case managers at the ASO's usually figure this out. 
We were able to get clients with student visas on insurance fairly easily.  Of course this could have all changed with the ACA, but getting in contact with an ASO would be a good idea.  If you know someone in the town you're moving to, they may be able to check things out for you prior to your arrival.

I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info http://www.aidsmap.com/Condoms/page/1044833/
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. http://www.poz.com/factsheets/fs_2014_09_prep.pdf


Offline suha82

  • New Member
  • Posts: 2
Re: International student to enroll in USA college in 2015
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 01:17:29 AM »
Many thanks to betty,emeral and gabbard ;D :D

Offline emeraldize

  • Member
  • Posts: 3,398
Re: International student to enroll in USA college in 2015
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 02:49:37 AM »
Please let us know how you fare as it will help the next student who inquires as you have.

Thank you.

Offline Miss Philicia

  • Member
  • Posts: 24,793
  • celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: International student to enroll in USA college in 2015
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 09:31:07 AM »
There are policies called "F1 Student Visa Insurance" (or also M-1 visa) and universities generally require foreign students to have these -- they provide extra things like "medical evacuation" and "repatriation benefits" which I guess are for extreme situations and your body has to be sent back to wherever you came from.

Every university will have a section on what they require in terms of healthcare/how it works for an international student. For example, attending the University of Pennsylvania as a graduate student you would also be eligible for additional insurance other than the university program. And something like this:


... offers several levels of coverage.
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"


Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2017 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.