Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:23:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 351
Total: 351

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Traveling and meds  (Read 5507 times)

Offline EUINAU

• New to This
Traveling and meds
« on: June 30, 2013, 07:00:33 pm »
I have only recently been diagnosed - mid May and been on my meds ever since. I take I/T so one pill at 7 am and 2 pills at 7 pm. I am traveling for next 3 weeks and will be in a country that's is 2 hours ahead of my current location for 5 days then 17 hours where it will be further 3 hours ahead and then 2 weeks in a country with additional 1 hour.... I feel first part of the trip is fine I can take meds at 9am/9pm however I am not too keen to be taking my meds at 3am/3pm would it be OK to just take them 4 hours later for those two weeks and when I get back just o 4 hours in reverse?

So confused... I'd be interstellar to hear what you do in similar situations. Merci :)

Offline EUINAU

• New to This
Re: Traveling and meds
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 07:02:21 pm »
Oh the autocorrect... Surely not interstellar rather interested :)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 08:37:36 pm »
don't make this complicated. just take your pills at the regular time of 7/7. changing the time by an hour or four isn't going to make a difference ;)

leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Pontus

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 09:27:04 pm »
don't make this complicated. just take your pills at the regular time of 7/7. changing the time by an hour or four isn't going to make a difference ;)

Well Said!
05-17-13 - Diagnosed/ Westerblot
06-03-13 - VL=500,193 / CD4 384
06-03-13 - Gnome - no resistance
06-05-13 - Start Stribild
07-23-13 - VL = 100 / CD4 664
10-14-13 - VL = 40 / CD4 592
01-03-14 - VL = UD /CD4 784

Offline EUINAU

• New to This
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 08:57:57 am »
Oh, that simple. Great thanks for your advise.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 10:22:33 am »
Oh, that simple. Great thanks for your advise.
studies have shown that being >=95% adherent results in successful treatment. Several hours change in dosage times then has little effect on your overall therapy.

the way you listed your trip, your time vs. your home time gradually changes in steps. If you take your meds at your regular times, you'll only be changing by a couple of hours at most each time you move. Rather than worry about how far you are from your home time, you will only be "adjusting" the time when you are taking your meds a few hours with each change. Just take them at the "regular" time, and you'll easily stay within that 95% adherence range - because you'll still be at 100% adherence. ;)

This is no different than when people, like myself, take their meds at "dinner time". The actually timing of when someone has dinner frequently fluctuates from day-to-day; however "dinner time" usually falls within the same 4-6 hour range each day - a range similar to the you will be going through gradually on your trip out and your trip back home.

one more piece of advice:
a public service announcement from leatherman:

you should always overpack medications!

Terrorism, volcanoes, floods, blizzards, lost/damaged luggage, winning at the slots, having Mom or GrandMother keep you an extra day, an accident or roadside repair - all these things could make a trip be longer by 1 day or 1 week and leave you without meds. Or sometimes just a simple miscount  can be the problem - so alway take more and never have to deal with that nagging voice that drives your crazy when you don't have enough meds and will have to skip some daily doses. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 05:27:42 pm »
Leatherman gives good advice.  Both on timing and on bringing extra meds.

I travel quite a bit -- and have been as far as 8 timezones away.  I always just take my meds at the same approx. time (Reyataz with breakfast and Atripla around 9pm).  I know that I am far more likely to forget to take it if I change my habits, so 8 hrs late one direction and 8 hrs early in the other is far better than missing a few days because of the change.

Enjoy your trip -- that is the important thing here. 

Mike

Offline EUINAU

• New to This
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 06:04:33 pm »
Thanks no issue with meds as currently away from home for work and had 3 months supply for 10 weeks trip. Lots of meds to travel with. Will be doing it again in few weeks hope it will be as smooth through customs as last time :)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 07:12:45 pm »
sounds like you have things handled well for you trip ;) It also sounds like you're doing well with a lot of traveling - not to mention dealing with things after having been recently diagnosed, recently starting meds, and having a negative partner back home. That's a lot on anyone's plate; but it sounds like you're dealing well with it all.

Best wishes and safe, easy travels. I can't wait to see a post from you in the not-too-distant-future when you get that UD report back from your next labs.  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline EUINAU

• New to This
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 05:44:03 pm »
 :) thanks leatherman I hope to hear that soon though its probably gonna take a while to come from 5 million to UD.

I think I was lucky to have met such an excellent nurse from the hiv dept, she is amazing. The doc was really good too and as said somewhere before this site is great source of info. seeing guys like you on meds for decades, knowing meds today seem to be so much better I am really not worried. I don't feel the need to tell anyone to be honest and I think I surprised myself how well I deal with it or rather how quickly I accepted it. :)

Offline atripla_2013

• Diagnoised Jan 2013, start Atripla June 2013
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 03:25:35 am »
Hi Euinau,
I am new diagnoised like you and start Atripla on this Jun.
Hope to keep in touch to learn from each other experiences.

Hi Leatherman,
Please help to advice us how in the case to take pill when we travel to far away time-zone countries (Ex: from asia to EU wit 10 hour lag)

Thank you
Male, 30
Diagnoised Jan 2013
July.13: CD4: 351, VL: 85
May.13: CD4: 336, VL: 24100
Start Atripla June 2013
Aug.14: CD4: 650, VL: UD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 05:57:23 am »
When travelling, it's best to stick to your usual med-taking routine.

If you normally take them at night before bed, continue to take them at night before bed. If you normally take them at breakfast or lunch, continue to take them at breakfast or lunch.

What's most important is that you're taking them every day, so keeping to your usual routine is important and will help you remember to take them.

The occasional real-time difference due to arriving in a different time zone won't break the bank. Or anything else for that matter.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Sunshine84

• It's gonna be ok!! :)
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 02:26:41 pm »
I had that same problem...
I always took my meds at 1am...

So in the end, when I went overseas...I had a watch that was timed to my normal clock..

So I just look at the watch for 1am and take the meds...

My friends were wondering why I brought that watch..lol..It's kinda low-tech and doesn't really use any brain power...I was just worried I might count the hours wrong or something
Science will save the day!

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 03:25:53 pm »
I had that same problem...
I always took my meds at 1am...

So in the end, when I went overseas...I had a watch that was timed to my normal clock..

So I just look at the watch for 1am and take the meds...

My friends were wondering why I brought that watch..lol..It's kinda low-tech and doesn't really use any brain power...I was just worried I might count the hours wrong or something

I think you missed the actual advice being given on this subject.  Take it at the same time in the new timezone -- if you are in the habit of taking meds at, say, 1a.m., then when you get where you are going -- take it at 1a.m. there.  No need to try and keep taking it at 1a.m. back home -- that just increases the risk that you will forget.  The fact that you will take it a little earlier or later than norm on that first day doesn't matter.  Missing doses by falling out of habit , might matter though.

Mike

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.