Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:38:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773224
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 614
Total: 616

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Am I a hypochondriac now?  (Read 2210 times)

Offline hcj90

Am I a hypochondriac now?
« on: June 15, 2013, 11:36:34 pm »
Hello,

Wondering if others have felt like this?.  Before I found out I was pos last year, I almost never went to a doctor.  If I felt sick, I just ignored it and forced my self to continue working, etc.  I always believed it would pass...and little did I know what was going on inside my body for many years.  Now it seems that I am watching and waiting for something to happen.  Any sign of something different going on has me concerned.  I am fortunate to have a great ID Clinic doctor, who knows that I always hesitated in the past to seek help.  She tells me to let her know when I feel something is up...no matter what it is.  It's nice to know I have that type of help available.  I guess part of my problem was growing up in a family that ignored many things, and always dismissed sickness as weakness. 

I hope that I can get to the place where I'm not so overly concerned and can live somewhat in peace.  Especially not worrying about what could happen, but hasn't happened.

Thanks for listening,
HCJ :D

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Am I a hypochondriac now?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 12:57:50 am »
You don't sound like a hypochondriac in the least.  You grew up having to ignore or downplay sickness.  Now you have HIV, a serious health threat, but you have a great doctor, and you are taking care to remain healthy. That's a switch from what you had as a kid but just go with it.  I'm sure if you start obsessing about your health now, you will either recognise it yourself, or your doctor will give some feedback. 

How long positive?  First year or so after diagnosis, and being on close medical care, I think a lot of people are overly watching their bodies.  But then it evens out.  We will always be a bit extra vigilant going forward. 

There's a little silver lining because if we are following standard medical followup of HIV infection, we're seeing doctors and getting more testing done on how the whole system is going then HIV- people are, generally. 

You can shift some of the observation role to the doctors, in other words....  Those labs tell a lot and I think I generally have a better understanding of the state of my health than before diagnosis.   And knowledge can sometimes decrease anxiety.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 01:00:28 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline hcj90

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 10:01:01 pm »
Thanks mecch for the reassurance!  As far as I know I contracted HIV nearly 20 years ago.  My dr. said that it was possible to have had it that long...that I must have had a strong immune system for a long time.  But it wasn't until spring 2012 that I began having serious issues.  Thankful that my local dr. sent me to a great ID Clinic after I tested positive. 

I grew up with a depressed, mentally ill mother, and it has taken me years of counseling to find some normalcy in life.  I can remember being sick and staying out of school, and she wouldn't write a permission slip for me to go back to school with a reason for my absence.  So...I had to forge her signature on the notes.  Nothing was normal growing up.  When I was about 12 years old, I was the one to go to my 5 year old sister's parent/teacher conference, because my mother was in a bathrobe in the car.  I've had quite a life.  I do believe we all go through things for a reason, and when I found out about my HIV, I did go through some emotional ups and downs, but I have never been angry about it.  I just knew that I had to get the best medical care and do everything I could to be as healthy as possible.  Sorry for rambling, but I am thankful for the great dr. that listens and has sent me to other doctors for problems she wasn't an expert in.  I am blessed to have great friends, and my family actually took it better than I expected and have been very helpful as well.  I feel sorry for those who have no one they can share this with.  I refuse to live in any kind of shame or guilt.  Everybody has a story and has had different events to shape their lives.  If people want to judge me, then I'll be glad to let them walk in my shoes and see how they handle it! 

Thanks,
HCJ :D

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 07:27:21 am »

I refuse to live in any kind of shame or guilt.  Everybody has a story and has had different events to shape their lives.  If people want to judge me, then I'll be glad to let them walk in my shoes and see how they handle it! 

Well said! :)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.