Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:45:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 229
Total: 231

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Gay flags set to be flying at NFL games soon?  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Jody

Gay flags set to be flying at NFL games soon?
« on: April 05, 2013, 06:49:24 pm »
I grew up in different times but it would have been helpful to me, at a young and impressionable age if this had happened decades ago...That it has taken so long for players currently playing major league sports in the United States compared to virtually any other entertainment professions is testament to what a big deal it really is, for everyone.

This appeared in PinknewsUK today...

Brendon Ayanbadejo says four gay NFL players may soon come out, all at the same time

by Joseph Patrick McCormick

5 April 2013, 10:44pm

Brendon Ayanbadejo said he was in talks with four NFL players who might all come out together. American football player and equal rights advocate Brendon Ayanbadejo has said that he thinks several NFL players could come out “sooner than you think”, and that he was in talks with four players who might all come out on the same day.

The Super Bowl Champion said in an interview with the Baltimore Sun that he hoped that several gay NFL players might come out soon, and that it would help them share the burden if they did it at the same time.

“I think it will happen sooner than you think,” he said. “We’re in talks with a handful of players who are considering it. There are up to four players being talked to right now and they’re trying to be organized so they can come out on the same day together. It would make a major splash and take the pressure off one guy. It would be a monumental day if a handful or a few guys come out.”

The 36-year-old went on to say that he thought there could be a “backlash”, but was positive in saying that he thought the NFL and other organisations could be equipped to deal with it, and that they could deal with the situation if necessary.

“Of course, there would be backlash. If they could share the backlash, it would be more positive. It’s cool. It’s exciting. We’re in talks with a few guys who are considering it. The NFL and organizations are already being proactive and open if a player does it and if something negative happens. We’ll see what happens.”

Ayanbadejo was in the headlines just yesterday, as he was quoted as having said that his former team the Baltimore Ravens may have cut him from their roster because of his equal marriage advocacy.

Both the Ravens and Ayanbadejo have denied that this was true, and Ayanbadejo said he was misquoted in the interview.

“We’re surprised that he would indicate this. We have always been respectful of Brendon’s opinions and his right to express those,” Baltimore Ravens senior vice president for public and community relations Kevin Byrne said in a statement. “Our decision regarding his departure from the team has everything to do with football. Nothing else.”

Ayanbadejo gave another interview denying that he thougt he was cut because of his views, in which he said: “The Ravens have been backing me, they knew my stance for years and have been facilitating me and organizing me with LGBT and set me up with Equality Maryland. They helped me.”

Ayanbadejo and fellow NFL player Chris Kluwe were honoured on Thursday with an award from Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG), for their work advocating for the LGBT community.

Last week, Ayanbadejo appeared outside the Supreme Court last week to rally in favour of equal marriage. The Human Rights Campaign tweeted a quote from the athlete which read: ”‘In the end, love is always going to win the game’ -Brendon Ayanbadejo. @brendon310#UnitedForMarriage”

He was last year involved in a controversy when he was criticised by a state delegate for speaking in favour of equal marriage.

Chris Kluwe, a punter for the Minnsota Vikings, made the headlines in September when he defended Ayanbadejo against a call from Delegate Emmett C Burns Jr, to reprimand Ayanbadejo, who recorded a video for a gay rights advocacy group In October 2011.

Ayanbadejo previously said he hoped that homophobic comments by fellow NFL player, Chris Culliver would open a positive dialogue about gay players in the NFL, and in November, upon waking to find that Maryland voters had chosen to legalise equal marriage in the state, Ayanbadejo said it was “like Christmas”.

The pair also wrote an amicus brief, and filed it, urging the Supreme Court to act against legislation preventing equal marriage.
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
Re: Gay flags set to be flying at NFL games soon?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 08:16:59 pm »
This would be great if they came out! I bet they are all kickers/punters though.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Gay flags set to be flying at NFL games soon?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 09:08:38 am »
When I was a kid it was more important to see Boy George than a handful of semi-closeted football players. Yawn.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.