Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:22:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 616
Total: 616

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HIV antibody test while on immunosuppresive drugs  (Read 4909 times)

Offline boykan

• Standard
HIV antibody test while on immunosuppresive drugs
« on: February 08, 2013, 08:31:10 pm »
Hello. I had an unprotected anal sex with a 21 year old black man 3 weeks ago whose HIV status is not known. I was the top (insertive) partner, we had sex for a few minutes using lube and I ejaculated inside him. What I did was very irresponsible and I regret it deeply, and since then I have been worried sick and have very bleak thoughts of HIV infection, the anxiety is driving me crazy!! Everyday I wait for the "onset" of ARS symptoms, and what is making this worse is that it's the flu season, so I could be infected with normal flu and interpret as ARS. Everyone around me had flu and I was so worried to catch it, but thankfully I didn't which I believe in part is due to my healthy life style and my daily supplements of multivitamins and minerals. So far after 3 weeks no symptoms at all, but I am still very worried nonetheless because not all experience ARS.

My case is a bit special since I had kidney transplant 10 years ago and was put on immunosuppresive drugs since then. I take 50 mg of Cyclosprine and 500mg of Cellcept twice a day. I already ordered OraQuick HIV in home test and is due to arrive within a few days. I plan to test at 4, 8, and 12 weeks after exposure just to get a peace of mind as I have to wait for the 3 months mark.

The question is: Because I am on immunosuppresive drugs already, and especially cyclosoprine (CsA), would this delay affect the HIV antibody test in anyway? Should I get a HIV PCR test instead?

Thank you for your support.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: HIV antibody test while on immunosuppresive drugs
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 12:59:14 am »
That's actually a good question. I did a small bit of research and found that the drug you are on has actually been toyed with, with mixed success, in helping to fight HIV infection (along with standard therapies.)

For that reason, I would absolutely suspect that it could extend your window period. In your case, which is a rarity in these forums, I would absolutely discuss this with your doctor, as the standard Oraquick Home Test might not be appropriate, at least not at this time.

I am certainly not ashamed to say that your situation seems out of my pay grade, and I will allow the other moderators to chime in. Personally, I would think that you might need an extended testing window, as your immune system is chemically compromised by the powerful anti-rejection drugs that act as an immunosuppressant.

As the insertive partner, your risk was significantly less than the receptive partner, but it was a risk nonetheless, and you do need to get tested appropriately.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 06:46:51 am »
boykan,

Even most people who are on immuno-suppressive drugs following organ transplant will seroconvert and test positive by three months. You might want to test again at six months to be absolutely certain, as hiv is nothing to guess about.

You should wait to test for the first time at six weeks, not four. Testing at four with the in-home tests is a waste of time and money. And quite frankly, testing again at eight weeks is also a waste. Don't get into the habit of over testing.

However, as the insertive partner during unprotected intercourse, the odds are very much in your favour that you won't have been infected from this one-off incident. But yes, you have had a risk and you do need to test.

Stop looking for signs and symptoms of hiv infection. All you'll do is drive your anxiety through the roof and guess what, anxiety can make you feel ill and do all sorts of nasty things to your body which you might then misinterpret as hiv. Don't do that to yourself.

The best thing you can do is to keep yourself productively busy with other things while you wait for the appropriate time to test, and don't micro-examine your body all the time.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline boykan

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 08:38:47 am »
Thank you Ann &  jkinatl2 for your insightful answers. The thing is I have an appointment with my nephrologist in a couple of weeks. Should I ask him for HIV RNA PCR test (it will be 6 weeks by the time I see him)? This would be a definitive test if I recall correctly. I would still do the three & six months post exposure antibody test, but if the PCR test if negative, I am sure it will ease off my anxiety.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 08:49:10 am »
Boykan,

While the RNA PCR hiv test is approved for use in a diagnostic setting, it is NOT a stand-alone test. You will still need the result confirmed with antibody testing to confirm the PCR results. (Please note - the DNA PCR test is NOT approved for diagnostic use although many doctors seem to be unaware of this fact.)

I was actually thinking of suggesting a PCR test for you, under your unusual circumstances. But again, it is NOT a stand-alone test.

For example, some people, although rare, can control the virus on their own and maintain an undetectable viral load without meds. If you happen to be one of these people, you could easily get an UD (undetectable) result on the PCR test (that's what viral load tests are) when you're actually poz. False positives also occasionally happen. This is why it is NOT a stand-alone test.

However, yes, a negative (UD) result should ease your anxiety. Most people have an extremely high viral load in the first few months following infection, but as noted above, there most definitely are exceptions.

Again, you'd be very unlikely to end up poz over a one-time unprotected insertive encounter. I really don't expect you to test positive, but you must test to be sure.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline boykan

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 10:55:33 pm »
Thanks all for the help and support. I tested negative 6 months after exposure using OraQuick and also a blood test in a hospital. I was so relieved and will never ever put myself at this excruciating risk again. The emotional toll itself was a lot of handle, but I'm happy it is over. Hopefully someone will learn from my experience as well.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 05:59:48 am »
Boy,

Good news! Thanks for letting us know the outcome of this unusual situation (that of you being on anti-rejection meds following organ transplant). You weren't likely to end up poz over a one-time insertive situation, but testing was still the right way to go.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED FURTHER HIV TESTING AT THIS TIME, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.