Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2017, 01:47:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 711899
  • Total Topics: 57099
  • Online Today: 213
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 164
Total: 164

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Brain Fog Revisited  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Maestro

Brain Fog Revisited
« on: October 11, 2006, 01:21:06 PM »
This may have been discussed before, but I was wondering how long after infection the brain fog sets in?  Do you see a worsening, or does it come at once and hit a plateau?

I am curious because I was reading an article on AIDS dementia and how the defenition of that has changed over time.  I think I was reading on www.thebody.com .  Anyways, towards the end it was saying that the neurological disorders usually came late in an HIV infection but offered nothing to support that.

It was also interesting that I read that HIV was causing the neuropathy.  I thought it was the meds doing that.  Learning something new every day.

Here was the article http://www.thebody.com/nmai/dementia.html

By the way, just to inject an ounce of humor, and hopefully not offend anyone, I was looking at the title of my post, and thinking if you have brain fog really bad, then perhaps this subject isn't revisted, but a first look!

M

Offline Alain

• I am.
Re: Brain Fog Revisited
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 01:57:31 PM »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 08:50:31 PM by cowandalehouse »

Offline Maestro

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 02:17:53 PM »
Read that already.  That seemed to be more of people describing the symptoms...

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 02:29:58 AM »
M: brain fog sets in at the conclusion of the Fall Network New Season. So I answered your humor question first. When you joke about death and disease you liberate us from fear. I like "brain fog". Maybe a sick sense of humor keeps sickness at bay?!  ;)

I will worry about HIV-caused dementia when...
...I am demented
(or if I am really demented I would probably be worrying about something imaginary).

Seriously, it is not something in all of our futures. I have seen it twice. I don't worry about what I don't have, and I am more of a realist than an ostrich. I try to focus on the here and now, and perhaps what seems to be around the corner.
-megasept  8)

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 04:08:51 AM »
This may have been discussed before, but I was wondering how long after infection the brain fog sets in?  Do you see a worsening, or does it come at once and hit a plateau?

Hi M,

I don't believe there's any one-size-fits-all answer to your question. There are many factors to consider besides HIV in evaluating instances of brain fog, like age, diet, stress levels and so on. I doubt it can be diagnosed to any set time frame after infection.

For instance, I’m nearly 47. I live with an anxiety disorder. On occasion I get what I call brain farts. Some people call them “senior moments.” Like the morning I got up from the computer to use the bathroom, came back and my coffee cup was gone. I looked for it for a good 20 minutes – growing ever more agitated – until I discovered it in the microwave oven where I had put it to warm it up.  ::)

Daniel

MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006, 08:52:36 AM »
I got up from the computer to use the bathroom, came back and my coffee cup was gone. I looked for it for a good 20 minutes – growing ever more agitated – until I discovered it in the microwave oven

LOL! sorry i shouldn't laugh Daniel. but this morning a Q-tip fell into the latrine - I quickly had to do something else making a mental note to take care of the Q-tip immediately after as soon as possible - an "important thing" - it took me about 5 minutes to remember what that "important thing" was! ......hope this doesn't f#%&g get worse!!

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 04:37:37 PM »
No, I think it's important to laugh. I stopped taking myself overly seriously the day it hit home that my problems really aren't all that big compared to what some people have to live with.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline aztecan

• 31 years positive, 59 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 10:49:42 PM »
First, AIDS-related dementia is different from the brain fog we are discussing, although there may be some connection.

The people I knew who had dementia resembled those who had end-stage Alzheimer's disease, except the onset and progression was much more rapid - months instead of years.

The brain fog we discussed in RAB's thread is more like, well, a fog. Or, as Daniel said, like brain farts or senior moments.

I remember mentioning this to my first doctor. She said it was probably stress related. At the time (mid 90s) there wasn't anything known of "brain fog."

At the time, I had been infected a decade or more. Its been 11 years since that time, more or less. The brain fog is still there, but it isn't progressing, at least not like AIDS-related dementia.

It may be that dementia and brain fog are variations of the same thing, I don't know.

As for time frames, I think it is pretty much as others have said, different for each of us.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2017 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.