Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:30:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 225
Total: 227

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Looking for advice for scared gay man!  (Read 3626 times)

Offline JayPa

• Standard
  • JaynPA
Looking for advice for scared gay man!
« on: December 22, 2012, 06:39:17 am »
Hello!  I am so scared that I have contracted HIV!  For one week now, I have swollen neck glands, sore throat (white patches like candida on the sides - where drainage to tonsils are located), mild fever and blocked ears (heavy fluid).  I cannot tell whether I have had an HIV exposure or some other infection.  PLEASE HELP!

To attempt to be direct and not embellish what happened, I will try and be direct, only including the necessary details.  Two men, two incidents, in two months.

1) Months ago, I met a guy on-line through a dating site.  4 weeks ago we decided to meet.  There was an instant "connection".  He performed oral on me a couple of times without a condom on (note: I precum a lot!), but I didn't come in his mouth.  We also had anal sex (with a condom) a couple of times.  I am the top / he is the bottom.  I recall cumming once inside him with the condom on, however, he is the one that removed the condom.  I keep wondering, did it break?  I cannot confirm that since I don't know.  He had also disclosed to me (afterwards) that he was a colon cancer patient and a year earlier had a portion of his colon/digestive tract intestine removed.  I asked him to get tested and he did.  I am nervous, however, he assured me that he tested HIV negative 3 weeks after our "incident".  I have trust issues, but want to know for sure that he is negative without coming across like a wacko!  (If he was/is positive, was there an exposure to me the "top"?)

At 4 weeks, post that incident, I took an oral (over-the-counter) swab test and it was negative (assuming I did it correctly).

2) Now. 1 week ago, I was on vacation in FL.  I met a guy and we hung out and I ended up going over to his place.  We kissed a lot!  Embarrassing as this is, we were buzzed (beers only/ no drugs) and did a lot of "wrestling".  We did not have anal sex.  I could say I don't recall, however, people remember when they have anal sex - there were no condoms nor lube involved.  I can't confirm this 100%, but 99% sure neither of us even came/got off.  Something weird occurred though.  We both used the restroom to urinate and kept heavy kissing/wrestling the focal point.  During that fooling around,  I busted my lip.  I am the top / he is the bottom. I pulled his pants down and performed analingus on him for a minute or two.  Then, amongst another heavy, hard kiss and pulling our t-shirts off I banged my mouth against his and and the inside of my upper lip busted like someone punched me in the mouth.  While kissing, I could feel/taste the blood.  I got up and ran to the bathroom to spit it out and take a look at the lip in the mirror and my lip looked like it felt.  He asked me if had been tested, I said yes (neg) and he replied that he had not been tested in a year.  He assured me he doesn't have anything to worry about since he practices only "safe sex".  He was so sure of himself that he had no reason to be tested (I was not so sure he was being truthful, especially when he said he had the flu just a month earlier).  So, 3 days later...the night sweats started for me and now I have some sort of infection.

Do I have any risk of HIV from these two events?  I am freaking out.  Do I have anxiety?  Is that what is causing me to feel this way?  I have had plenty of sinus infections in the past, but my glands, neck and ears have NEVER felt this way. 

I feel so helpless and depressed.  I have spent so much of my adult life refraining from having sex because I am afraid of contracting STD's/HIV.  This year alone, I must have been tested 6-8 times.  I feel almost paranoid about contracting HIV.  Now, I find that the only way for me to know for sure, is to just practice abstinence, but based on my past two incidents, I may be too late.  Please help me.

I have read several/multiple topics and threads on your website and while I know you are not the HIV test itself, your are the very next best thing.  Thank you.

-Jay in PA
Jason s

Offline RapidRod

Re: Looking for advice for scared gay man!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 07:49:11 am »
You would have known if the condom had failed. You never had an exposure.

Offline JayPa

• Standard
  • JaynPA
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 08:26:33 am »
Thanks Rapid Rod for the response.  And I am going to assume you don't think I had an exposure in the second incident either, correct?
Jason s

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 08:49:01 am »
HIV is transmitted by;
Unprotected penetrative anal and/or vaginal sex
Sharing works with other IV drug users
Mother to child

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 09:14:03 am »
Jay, nothing you have reported has put you at risk for HIV transmission.

Sexually only unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse are confirmed risks for the transmission of the HIV virus. As long as condoms are always used properly for those activities you will be well protected.

You do seem by your own description to have an excessive fear about HIV. You might find it worthwhile to see a therapist or other professional about that. We can't help you with that problem in this setting.

Right now you have no cause for concern about HIV nor any need for further testing. Get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline JayPa

• Standard
  • JaynPA
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 12:10:37 pm »
Andy,

Thank you so much for the reply. 

As I mentioned, I have a number of "signs and symptoms" that correlate with being HIV positive.  If I did not have a risk through exposure, should I assume all of these symptoms (including diarrhea this morning, night sweats and a "gurgling" stomach) are all a result of anxiety, stress and nerves?  Or (based on my original disclosure) could I have contracted an STD?

I also wanted to know (just for information):  Can a body develop symptoms of HIV just 5 days post exposure?  Many internet searches reveal too many unanswered questions about that.

I live in a rural area (small town USA) and it is very difficult for me to see/talk to anyone without it running "rumors" all over town.  When I used to live in a bigger city, I always felt like it was more accepting and easier to "find help". 

I want to much to be able to move on from these past incidents.  I am understanding by this forum that (in my case) the only possible way to get HIV is to have unprotected anal sex (and that means no way possible from the kissing I had described).  Therefore, I'll stop driving myself crazy about the "what ifs", since a person can't live life on the "what ifs" anyway.

Thank you for lending an ear to my thoughts about HIV.  Your site is a wealth of information.
Jason s

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 12:15:09 pm »
If you feel unwell see your doctor, you do not have an HIV concern.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 01:04:29 pm »
It's difficult to be isolated with what ifs and fears. But in this instance you really have no cause for concern about HIV. So you can let that go.

There is nothing HIV specific in anyway about your symptoms. That's no surprise since you didn't have any risk. And just in general for future reference, neither the presence nor the absence is ever a reliable means of determining HIV status. Only an HIV test taken at the right time can give that answer reliably.

As Rod suggested, if any of your symptoms persist you should discuss them with your doctor. HIV is not the cause.

Cheers to you and get on with your life. 
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.