Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:05:45 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 230
Total: 231

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sex life with HIV+ boyfriend  (Read 8433 times)

Offline alejofm05

Sex life with HIV+ boyfriend
« on: May 22, 2012, 08:11:46 am »
Hi. I have to say that this forum is great! I have been dating a HIV positive man for 2 months; I think he is fantastic; he was up front and honest about his status from the start. He told me before even asking me out on a date.  However, our sex life is not very active. I thought that I was the one that was going to be afraid (I'm still a little bit, but this forum has given me a lot of great info and peace of mind) but it turns out that he is the one that has trouble performing because he is afraid of me getting sick. I understand what he feels, he is an amazing guy and I know that if I were to get sick the guilt would kill him, but the bottom line is that the relationship won’t work out if we can’t have a healthy sex life. He has been positive for over 8 years, his last relationship was 4, and since he was so honest up front I thought he was in a more comfortable place. I’m here to find people that went through a similar situation with their partner and to see how they overcome this problem. I’ve been thinking of talking with him about getting professional help, I think he would be open to that, but I want to see what other options there are and how other people worked through similar situations.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 05:03:18 pm by alejofm05 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Sex life with HIV+ boyfriend
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 11:59:31 am »
Ale, did you two know that if he is on meds with an undetectable viral load that you are unlikely to become hiv positive because of him? Even if a condom were to break.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline alejofm05

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 12:24:50 pm »
Hello Ann, yes, I've read the studies (although other reports claim that undetectable viral load on blood does not necessarily mean the same for semen, could you give me a little for info into to this? thanks) He is on meds and undetectable and is aware of the studies too. We have talked about the risks and what sexual behaviors I would be comfortable with. But as it turns out, he is the one that is having the most difficulty dealing with the matter. I think this is the first time that he is actually facing the fact that he can infect a person he cares about with a clear mind. After finding his status he went into a depression for a while and into alcoholism, while he was on a relationship for 4 years after his positive status, he was a drunk for all that time. He finally made a change in his life 2 years ago, he has been sober since, he's going to the gym where he has lost over 40 pounds and is having great success on his professional life. Now, this is the first time that he is trying a relationship after being sober.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 12:29:14 pm by alejofm05 »

Offline dowellndoubtnot

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 05:14:22 pm »
Hi Ale, i am actually working through a relatively similar situation right now myself. The difference is my bf found out about his status as we were starting our relationship. We are still slowly working through the sexual part of it, but i can say that for us, experimenting and living out some fantasies that are absolutely 0% risk has helped to keep us very much sexually connected and active while we work towards both feeling comfortable with having intercourse.

Offline lpd19852001

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 02:29:36 am »
This sounds almost exactly like the situation I'm in now!  My guy has been HIV+ for about 10 years, has an undetectable viral load, and seems otherwise very healthy--but he definitely seems (overly?) cautious about being intimate.  It's hard to figure out the risks myself sometimes with all of the conflicting information available on the internet, but good luck and know that you're not the only one dealing with this!

Offline songs06

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 04:15:21 am »
at first, i was dealing with the same matter. i am hiv positive. my boyfriend was afraid at first but he got over it too quickly. he read studies and all the info about healthy sexual life. i am still afraid of getting him hiv, because it would be too much guilt to bear. but after one month, we started to do anal sex. i am not on meds, not undetectable at all. (look at my signature) but we used condoms (special maximum protective ones) and we saw it is the only thing you should do. why are you so afraid of, condom break? if you use a good lube and good condom, it is almost not possible. so there is no need to kill your sex life, or turn it to a fantasy masturbation periods. you can do whatever you want as long as you use condoms.
UD blood viral load doesn't mean UD semen viral load, but it is highly unlikely, because HIV like CD4 cells, which is mostly in blood. but mucosal parts of the body, and central nervous system have CD4 cells as well. semen viral load mostly lower than blood VL, if your BF is UD like years, i don't think his semen VL is high. and this is the scenario for condom break! and if condom break, of course you can realize it before ejaculation and change it.

so i think you can ignore this minimum chance. it is almost impossible. people have children with unprotected vaginal sex when they are UD for years.
18.03.2012 - infected.
14.04.2012 - first positive elisa - UD western blot
30.04.2012 - western blot confirmation positive
03.05.2012 - first lab- CD4: 256   VL: 2.3 M
01.06.2012 - sec lab- CD4: 390 (end of ARS)
01.07.2012 - third lab- CD4: 388 VL: 150.000
11.07.2012 - Started Truvada + Kaletra
04.08.2012 - CD4: 401 VL: 3800
30.09.2012 - CD4: 510 VL: 709
04.01.2013 - CD4: 650 VL: UD! (aka 20)
01.04.2013 - CD4: 460 VL: UD
09.2013 - CD4: 510
02.2014 - CD4: 490

Offline alejofm05

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 11:58:03 am »
Thanks everyone for your responses. lpd19852001 if you don't mind me asking, how frequently are you guys having sex? it has been 3 weeks since we last had sex, granted it has been difficult for us to spend time together this month since it's the craziest month of the year for him, he is working now 7 days a week. Things should go back to normal at work next week.

songs06 if I read correctly you have been positive for 3 months now? Were you guys already together with a healthy sex life before your positive status? maybe that helped you guys a little bit. Are you seeking professional help? I'm really interested in knowing how are you approaching the situation. thanks!

Offline devilnuts

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 07:14:32 am »
Hi Ale! I have a somewhat similar situation and even though we have not had sexual relations yet (due to distance) I have a similar situation. What has really worked for us so far is communication. We have both communicated our fears and expectations. What we want and how we can acheive that. Luckily we were on the same page so there wasn't much we had to negotiate on. Perhaps if you tell him how you feel about it and have an open and honest conversation about what he feels, then you can have a healthy sex life. I know that my partner and I will have quite the sex life when he relocates. We have come to an agreement that neither one should ever feel afraid of the other. I don't want him to ever be afraid of infecting me and he doesn't want me to ever feel afraid of being infected by him. Just having that kind of dialogue can go a loooooooong way.

Just my $0.02. :-)
Supporting the troops should not stop at the battlefield.

Offline Rod Dan

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 08:53:08 pm »
Hi Ale,
My situation is the opposite.  I was not lucky enough to find someone who is so honest about their status.  But it may help for you to know that I have had unprotected sex with him for almost 2 years and had his baby and I have tested negative in total 8 times.  I was tested 3 times during my pregnancy before I even knew his status and then once I discovered he was hiv+ had 3 antibody, 1 antigen and 1 pcr test that were all negative...
You're very lucky to have someone who cared enough to inform you and try to protect your heart, body and mind.

Offline Rockin

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 02:39:12 pm »
Hi Ale! I have a somewhat similar situation and even though we have not had sexual relations yet (due to distance) I have a similar situation. What has really worked for us so far is communication. We have both communicated our fears and expectations. What we want and how we can acheive that. Luckily we were on the same page so there wasn't much we had to negotiate on. Perhaps if you tell him how you feel about it and have an open and honest conversation about what he feels, then you can have a healthy sex life. I know that my partner and I will have quite the sex life when he relocates. We have come to an agreement that neither one should ever feel afraid of the other. I don't want him to ever be afraid of infecting me and he doesn't want me to ever feel afraid of being infected by him. Just having that kind of dialogue can go a loooooooong way.

Just my $0.02. :-)

I can only hope that one day I can find someone like you.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.