Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:29:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 217
Total: 218

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: WILL THERE BE A CURE FOR THIS?  (Read 16476 times)

Offline younghopefulpoz

WILL THERE BE A CURE FOR THIS?
« on: April 08, 2012, 02:53:14 am »
Will there be a cure for hiv in our lifetime?

I've been always thinking of a cure.

Offline MoMorrison

Re: WILL THERE BE A CURE FOR THIS?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 03:39:05 am »
We should all have faith that there will be a cure someday. God willing in the very near future. This virus has taken so much already.
Jan 2011 Tested HIV positive
01/2011 CD4 189 / VL 79,000
03/20/2012 CD4 133 (10%) / VL 46,000
03/28/2012 started bactrim ds
04/04/2012 started complera
05/24/2012 CD4 255 (17%) / VL 53
06/25/2012 stopped bactrim ds

Offline younghopefulpoz

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 04:21:43 am »
I am hoping , I'm only 19 years old. I dont want to die early.

Im hoping that researchers and scientist's would be quick on it before anyone will get infected. :(

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 04:23:18 am »
Hi,

I remain optimistic, that there will be a cure.  It may not happen in my lifetime, but I still remain hopeful.

Until then, We need to have continued research and development, for newer/ safer drugs, that are more user friendly, with the least amount of long term side effects, especially for those that have been on medications for some time.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 07:33:52 am »
Karl, have you found the Research forum yet? Many of the thread there discuss the various things being worked on that may one day provide a cure, or at least further insights as to what a cure will entail.

I think it would be great to see a cure, but I'm not holding my breath that it will happen in my lifetime. You are thirty years younger than me - and looking at the fantastic advancements we've had so far in thirty years regarding treatment, who knows what might be happening by the time you reach my age (50 in November).

Provided you live as healthy a lifestyle as you can, look both ways before you cross the street, and take your meds as instructed, there's no reason to think that you won't reach my age. Believe it, Karl.

So yeah, I think there could quite possibly be a cure in your lifetime, but maybe not in mine. Do I worry about it? NO! The treatments today are very effective and easily tolerated by most. We've come a long way in thirty years as some of our long term survivors will attest.

To be honest, I worry more about getting the more side-effect free meds out and available to countries all around the world - too many poz people are having to take the older meds. While they're still effective, they have more side-effects. It just doesn't seem right to me that some people still have to take side-effect-laden meds when there are better alternatives available. But that's a discussion for another thread.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline younghopefulpoz

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 08:32:41 am »
I'm hoping for the cure to come. But, I'm worried about my future, If I would reach your age, or if I would live long. Every time that I will go to sleep , I'm always thinking of what will happen tomorrow would I survive or not.

One thing that came a lot on my worries is the free drugs my country is giving to us, its a generic drug from India, I have a lot of questions on my mind, would that help me survive or will that drugs make my status worst. Currently, I'm on Zidoviduvine, Lamivudine and Nevarapine.

Guys, I need your advices. Your posts helps me alot.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 09:59:52 am »
I dont want to die early.
as long as you take HAART at the appropriate time and remain adherent, dying early shouldn't be something you need to worry about. There are plenty of us here who have been on meds for 20+ years, are in our 50s and 60s, and still no where near dying. Fearing death at your age and with the meds now available should be the last of your worries or no worry at all ::). LOL your first worry should be how to remain employed and manage you money properly so that you have a home and a nice retirement.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 10:05:52 am »
There are better and there are worse drugs.  But taking HAART - antiretroviral therapy - is essential when your numbers say you need it. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 12:26:29 pm »
I think the cure will be a vaccine.  I think it will be within in the next 30 years or so.  It's not a cure for people who have it, but eventually all those that have it will be gone and no one else will get it, like Polio.
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 12:40:02 pm »
I think there will be a cure for AIDS and that it will happen in the year 2017. However, it will unknowingly open a "back door" of sorts and cause all previously HIV infected individuals to develop an entirely new retrovirus infection that is fifty times more lethal than AIDS, and we will then all die within 8 months of this new vaccine.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 02:14:40 pm »
I think there will be a cure for AIDS and that it will happen in the year 2017. However, it will unknowingly open a "back door" of sorts and cause all previously HIV infected individuals to develop an entirely new retrovirus infection that is fifty times more lethal than AIDS, and we will then all die within 8 months of this new vaccine.

Megaball numbers please, next week's jackpot is suppose to be about 25 million.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 04:23:51 pm »

HA!! Miss Cleo has spoken

To the OP... I used to wonder about things such as cures when I was newly diagnosed.  To tell you the truth, I have been much more content since I stopped worrying about such things.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 10:10:58 pm »

Like, Ohemgee.  Thank you for letting me know.  I'll keep my AIDS then.  Or does your crystal ball show that we're all going to be forced to take this lovely cure? 

To the OP... I don't dwell much on thinking about a cure, and I suppose that I belong to the less optimistic camp when it comes to this issue.  There will be even better treatments/regimens in the (hopefully not so far from now) future --with perhaps less or minimal side effects, whether short term or long term.  I also hope that these treatments will be more widely accessible to PLWHIV than they are now (now THAT is one thing that bothers me and that I worry about).   An actual "cure" however (as in absolute eradication of the virus from one's body) is not happening any time soon, at least not in my lifetime.  But who knows, maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised. 
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline contagion

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 10:48:31 pm »
I find it quite funny that many articles say there will be a cure in 10 years. No one keeps track of those 10 years. But to answer your question, yes I think there will be a cure - atleast a functional one which will not give us negative tests but will keep us alive. I think that's good enough. We just don't know when, we can only *pray* it happens in less than 10 years!  ;)
I have a t-shirt with my t-cells on it.

Offline younghopefulpoz

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 10:55:57 pm »
I'm hoping. :)

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 11:07:56 pm »
I find it quite funny that many articles say there will be a cure in 10 years. No one keeps track of those 10 years.

I've been hearing about "10 years" since probably the mid-80s.  They must be Pluto years. 
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 01:40:47 am »
Hey younghopeful,

Last year, a friend of mine (really healthy and 28 years old) went trekking somewhere in the remote parts of the Himalayas in Nepal. He caught some bug and developed a really high fever. He died before any medical services could reach him.

This whole thing of whether or not there will be a cure is something I've avoided thinking about.

It will come when it comes, until then thinking about it serves no purpose and only detracts from the busy business of LIVING- which HAART allows us.

With today's HAART medicines (which will only improve in the years to come, not to mention other therapies that are in the pipeline) we do have virtually normal life expectancy (whatever that means)- as if HIV neg people are guaranteed a 100 years of life- they fall sick too, right?

Best
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline MoMorrison

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 02:16:54 am »
Hey spacebar, was your friend positive also?

I agree that it will come when it does and we need to focus on living in the now and taking care of ourselves. Tomorrow is never promised to anyone so we need to the best with today.
Jan 2011 Tested HIV positive
01/2011 CD4 189 / VL 79,000
03/20/2012 CD4 133 (10%) / VL 46,000
03/28/2012 started bactrim ds
04/04/2012 started complera
05/24/2012 CD4 255 (17%) / VL 53
06/25/2012 stopped bactrim ds

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 02:23:24 am »
Cure discussion/news is something I will read about, but definitely not get my hopes up each time I read one.  I figure with all the advances, some type of "cure" will eventually happen in the next 30 years.  That may be that pozzies take once monthly meds.

About worrying about death, I know controlling those thoughts can often be easier said than done.   

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 02:25:24 am »
Hey spacebar, was your friend positive also?

No, he wasn't. At least not to my knowledge. He was engaged to be married.

I agree that it will come when it does and we need to focus on living in the now and taking care of ourselves. Tomorrow is never promised to anyone so we need to the best with today.

^^That was my point, really. While living with HIV is certainly not easy and complicates life in many ways, it's not the end of the world for those of us who're fortunate to have access to meds.

If I keep obsessing about dying (from HIV or not), I'm going to forget to live.
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 07:44:16 am »
Currently, I'm on Zidoviduvine, Lamivudine and Nevarapine.

Guys, I need your advices. Your posts helps me alot.

I am on two of those medications, the lamivudine and nevarapine. They were the first meds I was placed, in 2003, and I am still on them, and they are working great.

Is there a possibility that you can change the AZT to another drug?

Take care---Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Bunny

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 08:06:41 am »
Hi younghopefulpoz

First I advised lamivudine+ nevirapine+stavudine after I got severe pains in feet switched to lamivudine+nevirapine+zidovudine combo since last three months .

I did not noticed any side effects from this combo except my blood counts slowly going down.

But some friends advised to me there has a risk of side effects when we use this combo for long term.

P.S: I am using the same Indian Generic Drugs

March 2019 - CD4 - 863

Offline Peacock

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 09:13:16 am »
Ive been on Lamivudine/ Zidovudine (combivir)and nevirapine for about 8 years and luckily no side efffect.(also on the generic equivalent)
I dont want to change the AZT (Zidovudine) because I feel ''its better the devil I know than the devil I dont know''...unless someone has suggestions for an alternative to the AZT?
anyway-about a cure: Hmmm, I first started reading articles about possible cures when I first became +. Well 3 years later and I realised Im like a donkey with a carrot thats being dangled in front of my nose on a stick...So now I just chill out and wait.
Peacock,Steve
Diagnosed 07/01/2002
Started Haart- 25/11/04 Cd4: 205 VL: 76'500
                      19/12/08 Cd4: 623 VL: UD
      26/03/12 Cd4: 497 Cd4%: 30.10 VL: UD
Combivir and Nevirapine(200mg) x1 of each-Am & pm
Not changed Meds since starting on HAART
Green Tea,Multivit,Selenium ACE,Folic acid,Vit C,Aciclovir 200mg 5x per day for 3 days-(ONLY when I have Shingles!)
100 percent adherence-with the help of a wristwatch!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 09:19:13 am »

I first started reading articles about possible cures when I first became +. Well 3 years later and I realised Im like a donkey with a carrot thats being dangled in front of my nose on a stick...So now I just chill out and wait.

I think pretty much everyone does that in the beginning - and pretty much all of those people eventually come to the same conclusion.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline LM

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2012, 03:40:08 pm »
Well, I'm a bit more "optimistic", I guess.

In 15 years, they managed to create HAART.

15 years later, we have "one pill a day treatments", "near-normal" life expectancy and the first case of a cure.

Who can tell what will happen in the next 15 years? Science ever moves forward and cure research has never been stronger. There's plenty of reason to be hopeful. But whatever is discovered tomorrow will still take at least 5 years to become available, so patience is more than required.

And I think it will still happen in our lifetime (including yours, you old pozzies  :D)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2012, 04:52:41 pm »
An actual "cure" however (as in absolute eradication of the virus from one's body) is not happening any time soon, at least not in my lifetime.
you're more than likely right on that. ;) since other viruses haven't been cured yet, I doubt a retrovirus will be cured anytime soon. People are just wasting their valuable time and energy, not to mention their sanity ;D, hoping for something as outlandish as a retrovirus "cure".

I'm just happy that the meds have been so greatly improved over the last 20 yrs., and now I'm happily awaiting the once-a-month shot/pill  ;)

I find it quite funny that many articles say there will be a cure in 10 years.
yes, it's been a very long 10 years already. LOL
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Dr.Strangelove

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2012, 05:20:40 pm »
I don't know if it's because I am still new to this or because I trust in science but I am also rather optimistic.

I don't get excited about every headline that has the word 'cure' in it but there are several very promising approaches.

Some people say 'They haven't found a cure in 30 years, why should we hope for them to find one in the future?' Well, it's not like all the work that was done in the last 30 years was for nothing. Sometimes I get the impression that is what people think.
But we have learned a great amount about the virus, which led to a very successful treatment and will lead the way to a cure (perhaps at first only a functional one. But that would be a great start).

Yes, other viruses have not been cured but they also have received only a small fraction of the funding that HIV research gets.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 07:34:27 am »

since other viruses haven't been cured yet

Dunno about that. My hep C - hepatitis c VIRUS - has been cured! :)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 12:59:46 pm »
It depends on how you "define" cure.

I tested poz in 1985 and started on AZT in 87, which involved 4 pills every four hours, for a total of 24 pills daily.  By 1996, when I was taking two PIs, which totaled 32 pills alone, my daily pill intake was around 65 pills daily.  In 2012, I take 3 pills to treat my HIV.  Two Viramune and one Truvada, for a whopping total of 3 pills each day.

As I said, it depends on how you define "cure."

Joe

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 03:30:11 pm »
I think that unlike most viruses there is a lot of interest, effort, talent, time, and money going into curing HIV.  Whether all of this will combine into a "perfect storm" for a cure is yet to be seen, but I have hope that they may make some amazing medical breakthroughs.  Who knows HIV may be the first virus they eradicate from the body leading to us making a huge medical leap in the direction of a "viral cure".  I'm not waiting with bated breath for this to happen but I remain cautiously optimistic.

Offline mecch

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 08:47:41 pm »
A good message to the newly positive is to get their life in order, money and support and health care - and to make sure they can get the best possible HAART when its time and be able to stay on it for as long as it takes, maybe a lifetime.

"Will there be a cure, and when" isn't the best or principle question to ask if the worry is - "can I live with HIV and how will my life be?"

I mean "will there be a cure?" is a great question, but its a different ballpark.

It does take each person his/her own time to come to this realization, and one's context is so important.  Not enough money. Not enough emotional support. Shame. Unreliable health care.  Poor health care.  Ignorance about HIV and treatment.  Anything really can lead to discouragement that a good life and future is possible. In fact people die of HIV for any of these reasons today.  So in such a context, we start dreaming about the cure. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 08:49:55 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 09:36:53 pm »
you're more than likely right on that. ;) since other viruses haven't been cured yet, I doubt a retrovirus will be cured anytime soon. People are just wasting their valuable time and energy, not to mention their sanity ;D, hoping for something as outlandish as a retrovirus "cure".

I'm just happy that the meds have been so greatly improved over the last 20 yrs., and now I'm happily awaiting the once-a-month shot/pill  ;)
yes, it's been a very long 10 years already. LOL

Mikey, I first thought you were being funny with sarcasm.  You don't really believe it's a waste of time, energy, and money, right?? 

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 10:42:31 pm »
Mikey, I first thought you were being funny with sarcasm.  You don't really believe it's a waste of time, energy, and money, right??

Honey chile, he's not talking about scientists or people with "power" to affect research, law, financial interest in HIV science, etc.

The ones wasting their energy and time are pozzies who obsess incessantly about their virus and check the Internet every five minutes to see if a cure has been developed. These are the kind of people who read every website (scientifically valid or not), scour medical journals for which they had zero interest prior to their infection, participate only in the research area of these forums, etc.  HIV becomes the ruling paradigm for every aspect of their existence.  It is simply not healthy.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 11:04:18 pm »
well I didn't say that all viruses haven't been cured ;) - just the vast majority of them haven't. ;D

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/04/04/more-than-90-cured-in-small-hep-c-study
A very recent April 4th announcement shows up to a 90% cure rate (still not 100% cured however) with some experimental Hep-C drugs. However, regardless of this one break through, most viruses and many diseases have been studied and researched to death without a cure being produced. My personal belief is that HIV will be just like all of those.

Sorry Teddy, but no I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I myself used to hold out hope about a "cure"; but these days in my life, there just seem to be so many other things so much more important - like teaching people how to not get infected in the first place, getting adequate medical coverage for those who are positive, and getting laid as often as possible with my boyfriend. (Hey I can't spend allll my time trying to save the world LOL I need some "me" time too)

See I've been reading articles and hearing reports about "the cure" being "just around the corner", "here in 10 years", etc for 30+ years, and I must say that after 3 decades of exaggerations, half-truths, and inflated dreams, I've grown jaded and just downright tired of even caring if a cure comes along. I stay adherent to my meds and live my life as fully as I can (dealing with the side effects after 20 yrs of meds) while waiting for something much more realistic - like a once a month pill  ;)

In the meantime, it's all just speculation and my viewpoint is just as valid as the viewpoint that a "cure" will be available "in the next 10 years" (tongue firmly planted in cheek saying that bit LOL). As Ann mentioned earlier about people being overly anxious about a cure at the first and then relaxing, my personal belief has become to just tell the anxious newbies how unrealistic it is wasting their time, their efforts, their money, their life worrying about whether a cure will come or not, and how really much more important it is to actually stay adherent to their regimen and to continue to work, saving and planning for their retirement. ;)

All the time people spend waiting around, crying, hoping and wishing for a cure is just wasted time that they could have been using to better themselves or the world. Of course, if you're a scientist, biologist, etc, then you better be doing a lot more than just thinking about the cure but actually working towards it. ;) But for most of the people here and all of the newly diagnosed people that I speak to all I can say now is - get a grip on reality, quit moping around about a cure, and go have a life. I'm sure your doctor will tell you when there's been improvements in the meds or a cure has been found. ;) :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2012, 12:00:35 am »
All the time people spend waiting around, crying, hoping and wishing for a cure is just wasted time that they could have been using to better themselves or the world. Of course, if you're a scientist, biologist, etc, then you better be doing a lot more than just thinking about the cure but actually working towards it. ;) But for most of the people here and all of the newly diagnosed people that I speak to all I can say now is - get a grip on reality, quit moping around about a cure, and go have a life. I'm sure your doctor will tell you when there's been improvements in the meds or a cure has been found. ;) :D

While I agree that folks should not get consumed with a cure, the thought of a cure serves an important role.  It represents hope that the meds will continue to improve and maybe someday, science will advance to the point of eradicating this virus.  Some folks need something, anything to hold onto and while those of us who have lived with HIV for a couple of decades are not so easily swayed, we need to be careful to not dim the hope of others.  Sometimes, even a remote hope, is better than no hope at all.

Joe

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2012, 02:34:50 am »
Pozzies are hopeful for a cure for the obvious reason.  But, there is a new, very optimistic headline about a new strategy or possible cure here on AIDSMEDS a few times a week it seems.  Many times, the headlines lead folks to be way more optimistic than the article suggests.  So, I'm sure that feeds some of it.   

But, if hoping for a cure keeps someone keeping on (and doesn't become an obsession), I think it can be good.  I mean, unless someone is holding off on meds with a CD4 of 200, thinking the cure is coming this year.       

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 07:56:18 am »

well I didn't say that all viruses haven't been cured ;) - just the vast majority of them haven't. ;D

You said neither "all" nor "vast majority". You made a blanket statement that sounded as though you thought NO virus had been cured.

since other viruses haven't been cured yet

Just sayin'.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2012, 08:03:15 am »

Offline LM

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2012, 04:11:17 pm »
Yeah Mikie, you were more optimistic before. :(

While I agree it's important to look out for yourself first, it's good to be hopeful and I think there's reason to. While most viruses don't have a cure, let's face it: HIV is the virus we have more knowledge of, and its cure is one of the biggest challenges of medical science today and one of the most sought objectives. Not only because of the danger of the virus, but because of the cost of treatment and the whole stigma around it. Whoever finds the cure will go down in history.

I think there are very promising studies underway, so we might be surprised in the next years.

Offline elf

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2012, 06:05:31 pm »
At least one person has already been cured: the German patient.
In mathematics, 1 can never be 0.  :D

Millions of people receive a bone marrow transplant each year,
like Reynaldo
before: https://www.google.com/search?q=REYnaldo%20Gianecchini&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:es-AR:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=oQCGT73iA9HXsgboq-DWBg&biw=1680&bih=878&sei=xgCGT5CtEcHXtAb21Oy7Bg

after: https://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=oVR&rls=org.mozilla:es-AR:official&q=REYnaldo%20Gianecchini%20transplante&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=KgGGT_aAENDMtAb_3L35Bg&biw=1680&bih=878&sei=LQGGT7LfHI_KtAbKsMzFBg

There might already be a cure, but it does not come cheap,
so they're not making it public...What if a copay for being cured is like 1 million dollars? It might be unethical to make it public, since 99% of people wouldn't be able to pay for it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:17:42 pm by elf »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2012, 07:15:03 pm »
At least one person has already been cured: the German patient.
I still believe that calling this issue a "cure" is incorrect and misleading. His HIV was "eradicated" by giving him a whole other immune system from someone else - through highly dangerous, debilitating and expensive procedures. The HIV was never "cured".
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Dr.Strangelove

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2012, 07:40:53 pm »
The idea that some company found a cure and is hiding it is very far fetched.

Only a small fraction of the funding for HIV research comes from Pharma companies.
http://www.hivresourcetracking.org/content/vaccines
Most of the funding is public funding, which means that whatever they find is being published and the information is available for the benefit of everyone. There are over 10.000 publications on HIV per year. It's highly unlikely that some company invests a small amount of money and finds a cure while the thousands of publicly funded researches are missing that lead.

Besides, I don't see why the price should be a reason to not go public. Wouldn't any company that finds a cure want to patent it? You can't file a patent in secret, right?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:42:36 pm by Dr.Strangelove »

Offline mecch

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2012, 08:11:24 pm »
There might already be a cure, but it does not come cheap,
so they're not making it public...What if a copay for being cured is like 1 million dollars? It might be unethical to make it public, since 99% of people wouldn't be able to pay for it.
The beautiful actor you have posted about was treated for CANCER.  As was the berlin patient.

Nobody is proposing bone marrow transplants as a cure for HIV.  Its not because its too expensive. Its a treatment for CANCER and you could die from the treatment.  Or of course, from the untreated CANCER.

Offline younghopefulpoz

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2012, 02:12:22 am »
I think this drug will lead to a cure,(just being hopeful)

click this link :)

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=42836.0

edited by Ann to fix yhp's link (hope you don't mind, yhp!)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 07:35:12 am by Ann »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2012, 03:08:20 pm »
dog?

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2012, 03:37:54 pm »
I think this drug will lead to a cure,(just being hopeful)

click this link :)

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=42836.0

edited by Ann to fix yhp's link (hope you don't mind, yhp!)

Replace the word "think" with "hope" and you have a rational statement.  Otherwise you're just grasping at straws.

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2012, 05:25:54 pm »
Can I hear someone say it like Sybil with me?

CAN I HAVE IT LOUDER?

The ones wasting their energy and time are pozzies who obsess incessantly about their virus and check the Internet every five minutes to see if a cure has been developed. These are the kind of people who read every website (scientifically valid or not), scour medical journals for which they had zero interest prior to their infection, participate only in the research area of these forums, etc.  HIV becomes the ruling paradigm for every aspect of their existence.  It is simply not healthy.
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.