Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 06:38:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

  • Total Posts: 722639
  • Total Topics: 58731
  • Online Today: 310
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 266
Total: 269


Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

  • Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

  • We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

  • Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Self Insurance and International Coverage  (Read 2147 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline nikanden

  • New Member
  • Posts: 2
Self Insurance and International Coverage
« on: November 09, 2011, 12:42:26 PM »
Can anybody give advice for independent health insurance which will cover visits and medication? Do you know of any private insurance companies who are good dealing with HIV members? (I have always had insurance through my employer until recently so any advice is appreciated).

Also I would like advice on insurance companies who offer international coverage. Not just travel insurance, but long-term international coverage. I am at a road block as to who offers such coverage.

Finally if anybody knows anything about social healthcare coverage in Wisconsin and Minnesota let me know.

Offline bear60

  • Member
  • Posts: 4,105
Re: Self Insurance and International Coverage
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 11:56:47 AM »
I was self employed almost my whole working years..I am now retired.
My best advice for buying your own insurance:
1. Dont get it from a non-reputable insurer.....you know, like: Corn Huskers INsurance Co. I always had Blue Cross.  They are in the business of health insurance.  
2. Assuming you are now self employed,  you are eligible to join a buying group such as a Chamber of Commerce.  This will significantly lower your monthly bill.  Shop around. (You need to show a Schedule C of your tax return.  Thats the profits and loss page.)
3. Get in an HMO.
4. Itemize your tax return.  Set your self up as a business. You are able to claim health insurance payments as a deduction when filing as a self employed person.  

« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 11:58:29 AM by bear60 »
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia


Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2017 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.