Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:59:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 388
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 347
Total: 347

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: wild animals on the loose  (Read 6504 times)

Offline wolfter

wild animals on the loose
« on: October 19, 2011, 09:39:51 am »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/19/exotic-animals-on-loose-in-ohio-after-park-owner-found-dead/%27%20rel=%27nofollow

We always seem to make the news for crazy shit.  Our Sheriff was quoted this morning saying that the pubic is probably safe from attacks.  It's their experience that the animals will flee to the mountains instead of the foothill communities.  Really?  You've learned that from experience?  I didn't realize we've had this issue before! 

Schools are closed, SWAT is on the run and nothing else will be talked about for days.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

Re: wild animals on the loose
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 10:01:59 am »
This is a wild story for sure.  As stated in the news clip, it seems as though somebody let them loose on purpose instead of an actual escape.  This is actually sad to see....they will be killed. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 10:09:55 am »
How sad for the animals ... I have been seeing what I thought was a pack of wolves at a friends house the last several times I was there . The other night I got a good look at them and convinced myself that they were indeed wolves .

After some investigation on line I found that coyotes are larger in my state than what I was used to seeing when I lived out west . I'm sure now that its coyotes , and really big ones at that .  
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 11:33:07 am »
This is a wild story for sure.  As stated in the news clip, it seems as though somebody let them loose on purpose instead of an actual escape.  This is actually sad to see....they will be killed. 

This is a very sad thing to watch .

The police seem to be enjoy killing animals ! 

As for coyotes , Ours in Missouri are very large  :o

I do not go out side at night .

Weasel
" Live and let Live "

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 06:09:29 am »
I wish they would drive two hours down to here and they could kill coyotes till they get sick of it, we are way over populated with those critters.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 08:22:59 am »
They have either captured or killed them all.  So terribly sad.  It was determined the owner opened all their cages before he shot himself.  What an idiot in so many ways.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 09:24:11 am »
They have either captured or killed them all.  So terribly sad.  It was determined the owner opened all their cages before he shot himself.  What an idiot in so many ways.

Yeah, he got pissed-off, and let out all of these wild animals, and then killed himself, and endangered the public
he's worse than any idiot I have ever seen, why take your shit out on everyone else, I just don't see the logic in what he did , it could have been a lot worse and those wild animals might have killed several innocent people  all because this jerk was pissed-off :-X
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 10:20:35 am »
Have the officials in Zanesville never heard of tranquilliser guns? Jeeze. What a waste of life. >:(
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline denb45

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 10:35:06 am »
Have the officials in Zanesville never heard of tranquilliser guns? Jeeze. What a waste of life. >:(

Yeah it's sad for those poor animals, if he wouldn't have let them out, they probably would have ended up in a Zoo or maybe a nice Sanctuary, this guy wasn't thinking very clearly at all, because he was piss-off w/ his situation and his ex-wife, he obviously had some mental problems that he didn't seek any help for  :o
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 10:43:47 am »

This was my first thought also . The sheriff explained that they do not carry or have the expertise to tranquillise wild animals and would have had to wait for hours for a vet that could handle something like this to arrive  . They came upon the loose big cats and other animals and were afraid they would escape into the rural community and hurt or kill someone . As cruel as it is the blame seems to be on the laws that allow people to keep animals like these and the creep that set them loose near a school .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 07:13:14 pm »
Yep the idea that anyone can just have a Zoo out back is mad. In England there was a character called Aspinal who Kept a private Zoo.At least two Zoo keepers lost there lives to the driven mad by captivity animals.
Aspinal was one off these men who proclaim there love off wild animals then either lock them up or shoot them on Safari, while bleating on about the savage beauty of nature.Fascist fucks.
t
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 07:24:48 pm »
I thought it was illegal to keep wild animals as pets unless you had a special license for a wildlife preserve.

I heard  there were complaints about him before.  If there was he should not have been allowed to keep his personal zoo open whether it was legal or not.

It's sadder that the animals had to die then the fact that he did.  
Michelle 8)
How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 07:44:16 pm »

This was my first thought also . The sheriff explained that they do not carry or have the expertise to tranquillise wild animals and would have had to wait for hours for a vet that could handle something like this to arrive  . They came upon the loose big cats and other animals and were afraid they would escape into the rural community and hurt or kill someone . As cruel as it is the blame seems to be on the laws that allow people to keep animals like these and the creep that set them loose near a school .

What expertise do they need?...Point and shoot...
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline denb45

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 08:00:02 pm »

What expertise do they need?...Point and shoot...

Ya know I hate saying this, but, that is standard operating procedure for all Law Enforcement agencies, they will even take out a bit-bull or have it put down, if that dog get's loose and bits & hurts someone, it is what it is  ;)

Offline Jody

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 08:04:51 pm »
It was very sad to see the dead animals lined up in the picture, discarded as they were.  I think the panic that goes into the decision is such that they had to think fast on their feet and make a quick decision that is not a daily occurrence.  They probably felt if they tranquilized rather than shoot to kill and somehow a child were killed by a waking animal they would have a disaster indeed.  Does the (probably understaffed and underfunded) police staff have enough tranquilizer guns and ammo to do that, who knows?  

But one thing is certain, visitors should know that if you visit Ohio do remember it's a jungle out there!  

Jody  
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 08:11:32 pm »
A human life comes before an animal and you can't use tranquilliser guns at night. A Vet yesterday morning darted a Cat and it charged and had to be downed. Tranqillsers guns don't work like you see in the movies. No one got killed or hurt so that is all that matters.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 05:16:57 am »
My initial response was that it was wrong to shoot these animals.  It wasn't until I learned that Jack Hannah from the Columbus Zoo was called in to assist.  He is a huge animal activist and I respect him immensely.  As horrible as it was that these animals were shot and killed, Jack indicated that it was indeed, the correct measure.  The situation didn't unfold until just before dark and public safety was a priority.

Additionally, we're a rural Appalachian area and I'm sure they've not had training for situations this extreme.  Currently, Ohio has one of the most lax exotic wild animal laws in the country.  We've all known about this animal "preserve" forever but there weren't any laws being broken regarding the housing of those animals.  Complaints from locals couldn't be followed up on since it's a legislative issue instead of a judicial issue.

The good news is that our governor (even though he's an idiot), has indicated immediate legislation will be implemented to allow for more stringent regulations.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 05:44:55 am »
If others are stopped from setting up ego Zoo,s then some good will will come out off this. I am not angry at the officials who had to deal with this, they did contain the situation and no other human was injured /killed .

The keeping contained off wild animals has a role to play too. Read Gerald Durrell who battled to set up a Zoo dedicated to preserving endangered spices , eventually built on the island off Jersey. What people see in most Zoo,s around the world is the repetitive behaviour off animals driven insane by captivity and/or loneliness in the  cases off group/herd animals kept alone and restricted.

"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline rondrond

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 08:42:41 pm »

Why isn't PETA helping Jack Hannah protect the surviving animals from this crazy woman instead of suing Sea World over the 'slavery' (?) of kliler whales?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2011/10/jack-hanna-on-zanesville-ohio-animals-we-would-have-had-carnage/

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2011/10/peta_sues_seaworld_over_allege.php

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline wolfter

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 09:39:40 pm »
Why isn't PETA helping Jack Hannah protect the surviving animals from this crazy woman instead of suing Sea World over the 'slavery' (?) of kliler whales?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2011/10/jack-hanna-on-zanesville-ohio-animals-we-would-have-had-carnage/

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2011/10/peta_sues_seaworld_over_allege.php

Jack has indicated that there is "friction" between The Columbus Zoo and PETA.  PETA does not believe animals should be housed in zoos.  At this point, the crazy lady says she's transferring the animals to a sanctuary where they can roam freely.  PETA prefers those actions as opposed to housing them at the zoo.  The only problem is, the crazy lady is not required to take those animals and legally has the right to keep them if she chooses.  Even with new legislation, those animals will more than likely be "grandfathered".

She's obviously as nutty as her husband was.  

Offline rondrond

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 09:56:45 pm »
I just saw on the news where she was divorced from her husband and hasn't even been in these animals lives for awhile, but now, suddenly, she wants them.

There is supposedly a quarantine put on them so she can't have them and of course they sensationalized it by showing all the dead animals lined up on the ground...which, I have to say the zoo certainly appears to be the better of the two options.

They were interviewing Hanna and I think I heard him say that he wasn't going to leave them in the zoo but wanted to release them on some reserve, just not Mrs Thomas. Mrs Thomas kept referring to them as her 'pets' ....

...which should have perked PETA's interest as they should have construed that as 'slavery' ...if they are going to go with that line of thinking...

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline wolfter

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 10:08:24 pm »
I've not followed their personal lives too closely, but my understanding is that she just filed for divorce prior to this event unfolding.  She was constant in the animals' lives as her husband was just released from prison.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.