Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 08:30:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

  • Total Posts: 722669
  • Total Topics: 58734
  • Online Today: 342
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 279
Total: 284


Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

  • Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

  • We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

  • Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Legal Advice ? Ideas ?  (Read 1910 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline seaspice

  • Member
  • Posts: 55
Legal Advice ? Ideas ?
« on: April 01, 2011, 07:57:35 PM »
    I have been a resident of Maine , over 5 years.  Went to renew drivers license and have outstanding child support issues in Mass. Privilege to drive is suspended until  these matters are resolved.
   Been on SSI many years, live in rural area, where driving is necessary.
 Is there a course of appeals in this matter ?     Thank You

Offline hope_for_a_cure

  • Member
  • Posts: 1,513
Re: Legal Advice ? Ideas ?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 08:10:29 PM »
One place where you may be able to get some free legal advice is on this site:  


Drill down to the specific state, register (its free), and you should get a pretty quick response.  I used it a few years ago with good results.  It may be worth a try.  Who knows, a forum member here may be able to advise.. just thought I would post that for ya.  

Good luck in getting an accurate answer!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 08:16:06 PM by hope_for_a_cure »

Offline emeraldize

  • Member
  • Posts: 3,398
Re: Legal Advice ? Ideas ?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 08:18:09 PM »
If you've not seen this on the Mass DOT site, an important word that jumps out is "may" rather than "will" or "must". Perhaps it's worth calling anonymously to learn if any appeals process exists for people whose lives have been altered to the point where they cannot work or satisfy support judgements.

"Non Renewals
If you have any outstanding parking, excise or abandoned vehicle tickets, you must obtain releases from the city or town concerned in order to renew your license. If your driver's license is marked nonrenewable due to fast lane violations, a customer service representative in our telephone center can collect the fees for the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority and clear the non-renewal status. We accept MasterCard, VISA, and Discover. For an outstanding warrant, a recall notice from the court will be required. If you have outstanding child support obligations, your license may be suspended and you will not be able to renew it until the Department of Revenue has removed your nonpayment status. For more information regarding outstanding Child Support obligations, please contact the Department of Revenue at 1-800-332-7233."

Offline skeebo1969

  • Member
  • Posts: 5,873
Re: Legal Advice ? Ideas ?
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 10:05:55 PM »

  You need to contact the courts in Mass to inform them you are on SSI immediately. 
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline WillyWump

  • Member
  • Posts: 7,367
Re: Legal Advice ? Ideas ?
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 10:23:52 PM »
 Is there a course of appeals in this matter ?     Thank You


You are not going to be able to appeal to Maine for an issue, especially Child Support, that is active in Mass.

It will have to be taken up with Mass. Which is most likely going to mean appearing before a judge in Mass to state your case. If the issue is minor, maybe a few months in arrears, and no bench warrant has been issued you may be able to set up a plan over the phone with MAss Atty General (or whoever it is that collects) to release the hold on your DL renewal. Of course this would prob mean paying a portion of the arrearage before they reinstate you.

It's going to boil down to communicating with MAss and seeing what can be done. They hold the cards now. Period.

Suffice to say, Hell hath no fury like a state's Child Support Collection Dept.


POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Dachshund

  • Member
  • Posts: 6,058
Re: Legal Advice ? Ideas ?
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 09:19:49 AM »
Seems to me the elephant in the room is the "outstanding child support issues" you mention. That would be the logical place to start. If you owe back child support you will have to take care of it or suffer the consequences.


Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2017 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.