Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:39:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 417
Total: 419

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New York: HIV Deaths Fall Below 1,000  (Read 5666 times)

Offline wonderful1

New York: HIV Deaths Fall Below 1,000
« on: January 04, 2011, 04:56:12 pm »
January 3, 2011

For the first time since the 1980s, New York City logged fewer than 1,000 HIV-related deaths in 2009, according to a new report from the city health department. The HIV death toll for 2009, 933, was down 13 percent from 1,073 in 2008. The total for 2009 was an 87 percent reduction from 1994, the peak year for AIDS deaths, when the disease killed 7,046 New Yorkers. A new low also was recorded for infant mortality: 5.3 deaths per 1,000 live births, down from 5.5 in 2008. While life expectancy held steady at 82 years for women and 76.3 for men, the city's death rate hit an all-time low in 2009. To access the health department's "Annual Summary of Vital Statistics," visit www.nyc.gov/html/doh/downloads/pdf/vs/2009sum.pdf.

Cheers!

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
Re: New York: HIV Deaths Fall Below 1,000
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 06:26:43 pm »
I'm sure the family, friends, and loved ones of those 933 people who died of HIV-related deaths in 2009 are just thrilled to hear "the good news."
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline wonderful1

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 06:30:56 pm »
I am not a mathematician so...  

In 2009 there were 13% less HIV related deaths then the prior year. If that rate continues, (barring any improvement in treatment and R&D), in around 7 and 3/4 years there should be no deaths in NYC attributed to HIV.
Hmm... getting kind of funky. Sorry, I meant functional.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 06:42:29 pm »
I am not a mathematician so... 

In 2009 there were 13% less HIV related deaths then the prior year. If that rate continues, (barring any improvement in treatment and R&D), in around 7 and 3/4 years there should be no deaths in NYC attributed to HIV.
Hmm... getting kind of funky. Sorry, I meant functional.

Um.... you have to know that this is not how it works.

I do not understand this pathology to declare AIDS over. Often from the same people who wonder why prevention efforts fail.

If HIV is not a problem, and living with it is without effort, then why engage in prevention efforts at all?

If HIV is not an issue, why are you here? If you are here to dismiss or denigrate those of us who have AIDS, then I am afraid that is considered trolling, and is bad form for a support forum.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 06:50:29 pm »
1,000 deaths is terrible for NYC, a testament i bet to access to healthcare (Republicans taken note).
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 07:01:04 pm »
1,000 deaths is terrible for NYC, a testament i bet to access to healthcare (Republicans taken note).

Oh they don't care, after alll it's getting rid of the gays!
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline wonderful1

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 07:02:39 pm »
Um.... you have to know that this is not how it works.

I do not understand this pathology to declare AIDS over. Often from the same people who wonder why prevention efforts fail.

If HIV is not a problem, and living with it is without effort, then why engage in prevention efforts at all?

If HIV is not an issue, why are you here? If you are here to dismiss or denigrate those of us who have AIDS, then I am afraid that is considered trolling, and is bad form for a support forum.

Ok, I'll play in your proclaimed sandbox only for a moment. Yes I realize that mathematically that may not be the way it is calculated but that's not the point. The numbers will continue to go down in NYC. That's just the way this virus is progressing..(or not progressing).

The point is progress and the celebration of progress. Human progress. No the war is not over but we can celebrate the taking of quite a bit of territory from the enemy. Celebration is healthy and important.

That's all I have to say about it. You don't have to read my posts when I choose to post them. I will also not defend my posts and get caught up in some strange tit for tat game. We are mature adults, no? There are many varying opinions and facts for that matter not only yours. You seem to make hyperbolic statements and pick on young kids.
If something offends you I suggest you report to whomever or do that thing I read about here.. oh yes, blocking. My my..
As well, my reasons for stopping here and deciding to share my thoughts and research is really not your concern.

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 07:15:37 pm »
That's all I have to say about it. You don't have to read my posts when I choose to post them. I will also not defend my posts and get caught up in some strange tit for tat game. We are mature adults, no? There are many varying opinions and facts for that matter not only yours. You seem to make hyperbolic statements and pick on young kids.
If something offends you I suggest you report to whomever or do that thing I read about here.. oh yes, blocking. My my..

We are mature adults, no?

Not so sure, mature adults can discuss issues with people who disagree, rather than telling someone if you don't agree go elsewhere or don't respond.

"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 07:31:21 pm »

As well, my reasons for stopping here and deciding to share my thoughts and research is really not your concern.

As a dedicated member of these forums, I rather think that it is.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 07:41:40 pm »
NYC has approx 8 million people
the death rate for the city was an all-time low in 2006 at 55,391 (that's 0.6% death rate)
http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/pr2008/pr002-08.shtml

933 HIV deaths is only 1.6% of those 55k deaths
without more data about age of the deceased, years of treatment, etc for those 933 people, it's awfully hard to call HIV death at 1.5% of the total deaths as something terrible - unless you're just calling all deaths (while inevitable) as "terrible" - especially when that is the lowest number per year to this date. Instead of being "terrible", it's actually good news that the death rate has gone down.

(of course, it's not good news to the families of those that died; but we're talking math not emotions.)

Although, I'm sure that some deaths were for the reason you mentioned, jumping to a conclusion that these deaths are due to health care access is just not logical. I would imagine that a goodly portion of those deaths were for the same reason many "modern" HIV deaths have happened - they went untested and untreated too long and had no chance to recover once they presented to the hospital for the first time already in a state of full-blown AIDS.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 08:51:01 pm »

Page 25 of that PDF lists the leading causes of premature death for age < 65 Overall and by sex
IN NYC 2009

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 09:10:58 pm »
HIV is no big deal.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline wonderful1

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 09:31:40 pm »
Quick note, Leatherman...  your tone is always measured and thoughtful. Your posts consistently contribute to healthy dialogue. I don't agree with all of them but certainly you set an example of civility and proper argument. All, including myself, should take note.

To the discussion of this thread: I think it is remarkable that HIV deaths in NYC as of 2006 were not ranked in the top 5 leading causes of death for all deaths and age groups. Ranking behind:
1 - Heart Disease 21,844
2 - Cancer           13,116
3 - Influenza/Pneumonia 2,578
4 - Diabetes 1,708
5 - Stroke 1,169
This study of course is about disease and not homicide which accounts for another 700-800 deaths per year.

Cancer rates and death for people under 65 is outrageous. (Top cancer killers of people under age 65 are: 1. Lung (892 deaths) 2. Breast (548 deaths) 3. Colon (413 deaths).  An estimated 80% of lung cancer cases are caused by smoking.)

With all the PSA's and commercials and warning's on cigarette packs young people continue to start smoking and older folks don't stop.

I would also add that there are closer to 10 Million people living in NYC at any given moment. Some are not documented and some not counted in the last census. That is the prevailing estimate.

Your analysis and math is interesting. Keep driving home early detection which I see you often do. So very important.

In case some members aren't reading the links here is a quick snapshot:

(Deaths from HIV disease fell by nearly 15% in one year – from 1,419 in 2005 to 1,209 in 2006 – and the toll declined for both sexes and all ethnic groups. Numbers this low have not been seen since 1984, when New York City recorded 952 deaths from AIDS. Researchers attribute the continuing decline to several factors, including a lower infection rate among injecting drug users (thanks in part to syringe exchange programs), increased health services for injecting drug users, a declining population of injecting drug users, expanded HIV testing and referral to care, and slower disease progression among people receiving antiretroviral therapy. HIV mortality is still concentrated among NYC’s minority populations, with roughly 34% of HIV deaths occurring among black men and 21% among black women; 11% of HIV deaths occur among white men and 3% among white women.
New HIV diagnoses have recently increased among young men who have sex with men, but the trend has yet to affect mortality rates.)

If in 2009 the HIV death rate was 933 then we have dipped below the first recorded numbers of 952 in 1984. That is a remarkable trend. We are on the other side of the viruses curve.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 09:51:18 pm by wonderful1 »

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 09:33:40 pm »
HIV is no big deal.

Yep that's right..at least that's what I keep hearing~~sigh.

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 09:38:57 pm »
We are mature adults, no?

Not so sure, mature adults can discuss issues with people who disagree, rather than telling someone if you don't agree go elsewhere or don't respond.

It's interesting isn't it Woods, we seem to be getting a few of those of late, it's either won't discuss or can't discuss, or they simply revert to being rude if someone dares to disagree with them.

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 10:16:15 pm »
A fall in the number of deaths due to HIV is, in fact, a good thing.  However, it isn't the whole story -- it doesn't mean that HIV is going away, it simply means that people aren't dying from it in the same numbers as the past.  This really shouldn't be a surprise, given that meds do work wonders for a majority of folks with access and the ability to take them.  What this "statistic" doesn't show is the number of new cases, the quality of life for those living with the virus, etc, etc.

You've had a couple of posts now were you seem to suggest that HIV is on the decline and will "soon be gone".  I'm not sure how you make such a leap when the number of cases around the globe are going up?

So, we should acknowledge that a decrease in deaths is a wonderful thing, but there is more lurking behind that number than you seem ready to discuss or acknowledge.

Mike

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 10:58:08 pm »
Wonderful (as if), as you already have an account here known as nychope1 and as we do not allow mulitple accounts, you are hereby permanently banned.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.