Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:11:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 511
Total: 513

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tested Positive on 2-23-10  (Read 6898 times)

Offline OneDayAtATime

Tested Positive on 2-23-10
« on: March 06, 2010, 03:28:58 pm »
I found this forum a few days ago, after I got my results back from being tested on 2-23-10.
I was shocked, and emotional, as I guess we all are at the beginning. I have decided to move from NYC back to NC to be with my family, who I have told about the status. They are being amazingly supportive, I feel so luck to have have them.

I went yesterday, 3-5-10 to get enrolled in care programs in the area, as well as get my blood drawn for lab work. As for now, my biggest issue is disbelief. I know I have been infected, but like talk2me, there is this underlying feeling that I can't squelch that since I haven't been retested for conformation yet, just the RNA PCR, that I am one of the few false positives out there. I know this is ridiculous, but I feel like if acknowledging  that feeling is better than ignoring it.

I am only 22, and hope I still have a big life ahead of me, but I won't lie, I scared, and sad. I am glad that a place like this is up and operating to serve as a bit of a support. My family is wonderful, but as of right now, I don't know anyone in the area that in Positive, so I feel this can be a helpful place.

One last thing. The Viral load on my PCR said it was >750,000. I think I went thru seroconversion beginning 02-09-10, is this especially high for a recent infection? I will know the results of my labs in 2 weeks, and will post about those when the time comes, but any input as to that viral load from you guys and gals would be helpful.

Thanks,
One Day At A Time
Tested POZ:
02-23-10: CD4: ?     VL:>750,000
03-05-10: CD4: 426  VL: 34,300
06-10-10: CD4: 642  VL: 29,000
10-12-10: CD4: 338  VL: 104,000

Offline Brooke P.

• The Best men in the world, my Dad and my Son!
Re: Tested Positive on 2-23-10
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 04:13:12 pm »
Hello OneDayAtATime,

I justed wanted to say hello and welcome.  I felt exactly how you are feeling when I was diagnosed 7 years ago.  At the time I was 23 and felt like it was the end of everything.  I noticed that you said that you were moving back to NC, I am in NC as well.  If you need anything please feel free to ask!  Everything will be okay, it is not a death sentence, your life we continue!  Keep your head up!

Lots of Hugs,
Brooke
Feb. 2003 -tested positive
Started Kaletra and Combivir
2/26/03  CD4=1080   VL=218,333
3/3/03    CD4=1072   VL=546,010
4/10/03  CD4=1886   VL=1901
12/23/03 CD4=1711   VL=<50
STOPPED MEDS IN JUNE 2004
STARTED BACK WHEN I GOT PREGNANT
9/2009  CD4=274    VL=199,420
WENT 4 YEARS WITHOUT MEDS NOW I'M BACK ON MEDS, ATRIPLA
11/2009 CD4=574    VL=350
2/24/2010 CD4=851 VL=48

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 04:30:55 pm »
It's natural to be scared.  I think we were all scared initially, but you'll find over time it's not as dire as you think it is.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 06:15:58 pm »
Hi One, welcome to the forums.

Your viral load is consistent with a recent infection and it will begin to come down on its own in time. It also points to the RNA PCR test being a true positive. False positive results are usually well under 1000.

You may want to hold off on making any life-changing decisions right now, such as moving all the way to another state. Being positive is not a good enough reason to abandon the life you've made for yourself in NY, unless you were unhappy with that life before your diagnosis. You've got one life-changing occurrence on your plate right now, don't add to it if you don't have to.

You're going to be just fine. You were diagnosed shortly after being infected and the way things are today, with monitoring your health and taking meds when your numbers say you need them, there's no reason to think you won't live a full life-span. So hang in there, you're going to be ok.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline alliance

• hmmmm. . .
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 06:32:36 pm »
Welcome- Onedayata!
I was 1500 miles from home when my doctor called with my results.  I almost fell over.  I thought I was going to be dead in 2 years. I was scared and alone.  I spent a lot of time on the phone- and here. You ARE going to be ok, you are right you got a lot to look forward to.The best advice I got was to "keep doing what you enjoy doing".
Take care.
"The influence of each human being on others in this life is a kind of immortality."
10/10/12   CD4=378  %=32   VL=UD
5/10/12     CD4=426  %=32  VL=UD
11/15/11   CD4=296  %=29  VL=UD(20)
6/15/11     CD4=345  %=29  VL=UD(38)
3/15/11     CD4=317  %=31  VL=UD
12/1/10     CD4=315  %=28  VL=UD
8/11/10     CD4=250  %=25  VL=UD
6/10/10     CD4=380  %=24  VL=UD
3/4/10       CD4=340  %=22   VL=UD
1/11/10     CD4=312  %=22   VL =130
11/30/09   CD4=228  %=19  VL=1726
11/20/09    started atripla
10/15/09   CD4=281  %=18   VL=85,000

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 10:47:06 pm »
Welcome OneDay!

All great advice from Alliance, Hell, Anne and Brooke. The only thing I will add is that I can promise you your outlook will improve, things will get better and life will go on as normal.

You'll find alot of support here, dont hesitate to ask any questions, vent, etc...There's a wealth of knowledge in the people that populate these Forums.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Newpoz78

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 11:58:48 am »
Hey...Just wanted to tell you your viral loads were exactly the same when I did my first Lab April last year and yes its very high and I was very close to full blown AIDS. But there's good news... My doctor got me on ATRIPLA right the way and with in 3 months when i came back to do another Lab work I was undetactable. ( means less than 50 copies) So dont get scare and hang in there. Good luck!

Offline max123

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 04:30:56 pm »
hey one,

sorry about the circumstances that lead you here. know that you're not alone and have found a good place to find current hiv related info. give yourself some time to digest it all and take things one step at a time. stay focused on your health and life goals. it's going to be okay. max
1/86 - 6/08 (annually): neg elisa
7/09: pos elisa/pos wb
8/09: cd4 560, cd4% 35, vl 13,050
12/09: cd4 568, cd4% 33, vl 2,690
4/10: cd4 557, cd4% 29.3, vl 6,440
7/10: cd4 562, cd4% 29.6, vl 3,780

Offline Caramel_Cutie

• And then it came to me...like an epiphany!
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 04:31:38 pm »
Hey One!

Welcome to the Forum.  I agree with everyone here, you are going to be just fine.  It does take some time to get used to and you are fortunate to have supportive family around you.  That really helps.  I can remember finding out I was poz right before Christmas 2008.  Wow, it was the worst feeling ever.  I had to put that smile on my face and hold all of that inside until I could get back to the doctor and get confirmation.  I continued to pray that it was a false positive, but I had a feeling it wasn't.

I made it through and a little over a year later I'm still here.  I started on Atripla around the middle of 2009 and I feel just fine.  Honestly, I sometimes forget about the HIV because I have found that I am able to live a normal life.  I have only told a few very close friends and they are so understanding and supportive.  Before joining this forum as a member I would read the posts and they really helped me to understand, they gave me that outlook on life that I needed.  It also reminded me that I am not alone and there is always someone that I can reach out and talk to.  I'm in VA, so feel free to hit me up anytime if you would like to talk.  You'll be fine and just keep your head up!   ;)

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 03:59:08 am »
I would just say that your numbers may look very bad right after infection.  I've noticed many people who were diagnosed right after infection immediately go on meds.  This is probably because the numbers look very bad at first before our bodies can mount a fight.  Often times, the numbers would indicate it is time to start meds.  Being newly infected, your immune system is still in great shape.  I've been poz for 9 years and still not on meds.  However, there are some who progress quickly for some reason--HIV strain, genetics, etc.

I'm not saying you shouldn't start meds right away.  I'm just saying you should question your doc if he/she says it is time to start due to "bad" numbers.  If you have no problem with meds and want to start, then that is okay too.  Most docs want to see a trend before starting meds--especially right after infection.  The main thing is to make sure you're ready for a lifetime commitment to meds.  You have to take them everyday or you'll get resistant to them.  I've been diagnosed over a year and I'm still not sure I can commit to them.  I suppose if I were in a more dire situation, I would definitely commit. 

I felt as if my life was over---I still do many days.  It really is a journey.  You'll learn more about HIV and that you're not going to drop dead.  Studies show someone diagnosed today should live a normal lifespan.  And, you're young enough to be around for the cure.

Keep us posted.  By the way, did you get tested so soon because you knew you had a good chance of having it?  I've always admired people like you.  I was too much a coward to get tested for years.  I knew I probably had it.  I put others at risk.  It is good you took this head-on. 

Offline OneDayAtATime

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 10:05:17 am »
Thank you all for your encouragement and advice.
I got my labs back and met with my Doc. for the first time this past Friday.

My VL is descending rapidly, as I expected after the initial infection, but my CD4 count isn't exactly rosy.

I have my next labs scheduled for the beginning of June. I have put myself on a better diet, and boosted my selenium, Magnesium and Zinc. I have also boosted my B12 intake, and I am drinking about 16oz. of Carrot Juice, 16oz. of BarleyGreen, and 4oz. of Essiac Tea everyday, as well as boosting the Fruits and Veggies.

Is there anything that any of you guys and gals have done nutritionwise that has had a positive impact on your numbers?

Thanks to all you guys,
One Day At A Time
Tested POZ:
02-23-10: CD4: ?     VL:>750,000
03-05-10: CD4: 426  VL: 34,300
06-10-10: CD4: 642  VL: 29,000
10-12-10: CD4: 338  VL: 104,000

Offline peteb

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 09:03:41 pm »
Hi I got diagnosed in Feb 07 at first I was scared then I told myself I have to live my life the best I can
I am on atripla my numbers are getting better not many side affects a rash
I  wish you all the luck and keep you in my prayers
Pete

Offline peteb

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 09:04:30 pm »
Sorry I got Diagnosed Feb of this year
pete

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.