Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 14, 2018, 02:05:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 33696
  • Latest: RIGuy80
Stats
  • Total Posts: 737704
  • Total Topics: 61108
  • Online Today: 246
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 218
Total: 219

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ pages, including our "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Concerned and confused  (Read 3470 times)

Offline OptimisticKid

Concerned and confused
« on: December 09, 2009, 05:12:49 am »
Hello everyone.  Im a little concerned and confused at the same time.  I'm going to start off with my concerns. I know that we don't deal with symptoms on this board, but symptoms are usually the cause of the concerns, so i'll be begin by describing what I am experiencing.  I have developed 2 different mysterious rashes on my body.  1 big dark rash on the back of my neck that is not raised and has the appearance of a big bruise but does not itch or hurt and is a dark purplish color as if its a bruise.  It's been present  for about a month.  I also have a newly developed rash on my inner part of thigh (lower part though, close to the knee)thats red and spotty.  A few months ago I noticed a very small growth in my pubic area, that has the appearance of a small dark crumb (cluster), with no puss or fluid what so ever.  After these 3 odd occurences in my skin, im becoming quite concerned about my status.  I have had SEVERALl unprotected ORAL sex partners (i am almost always receptive, and rarely do i perform it.)  Now I have read on this board that oral sex is no risk, and is only theoretical risk if you are the performer of it.  But I have also read in the "Just tested poz" section of the board of someone who tested poz after only having protected sex a few times, and unprotected oral sex.  If that is the case, then am I misinformed on the actual risk of hiv contraction through oral sex?  I also spoke with a HIV testing site, and they have said that you can infact contract HIV through oral sex.  My concerns and my confusion is growing.  Im getting so many mixed responses when I do research on oral sex.  Is it confirmed that oral sex is only a theoretical risk and not a factual risk?  Where can I find detailed information/studies on this?  Please help me out, please educated me......
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 05:15:24 am by OptimisticKid »

Offline RapidRod

Re: Concerned and confused
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 06:35:59 am »
You were never at risk of contracting HIV. See a dermatologist for your skin issues.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 08:01:32 am »
Absolutely nothing you are reporting symptomatically is in anyway HIV specific. That's not really a surprise since receiving oral is not a risk and giving oral is only theoretically a risk. Although there are reports from time to time of infection through giving, in the real world of HIV they never seem to hold up under careful examination.

So whatever is going on with you has nothing to do with HIV. Stop guessing and worrying and instead get yourself to a dermatologist who can make a diagnosis of the problem.

I don't see any need for an HIV test unless you feel you need to do that in order to let go of this unwarranted concern about HIV. Given what you have reported, it's a slam dunk for you to test negative.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline OptimisticKid

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 10:34:07 am »
Thanks, you guys do a great job at reassuring viewers/vistors.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 12:35:29 pm »
You're welcome. Glad you found the exchanges to be helpful.
Andy Velez

Offline OptimisticKid

Going for testing in the morning
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 01:48:11 am »
Hi All, its been a few years since i posted on this forum.  I am going to go for testing in the morning, havent been tested since 2003 and wanted some imput from the experts here on the board.  I have had several unprotected oral sex partners over the years and ONE unprotected  sex instance.  I was in a relationship and i was the insertive top.  It was a one time situation, lubrication was used. How complex is it to tranfer from bottom to top?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Ninja Please
Re: Going for testing in the morning
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 02:10:44 am »
You must keep all your thoughts questions and comments in your original thread. This helps us follow your story and allows us to give you the most accurate advice.

If you cannot find your original thread, please click the red link I have posted above. Alternatively you can use the "Show own posts" link which appears in the uppermost left hand column on any forum page.

Your questions will not be answered unless you return to your original thread

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and familiarise yourself with the posting guidelines.

MtD

Offline OptimisticKid

Re: Going for testing in the morning
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 02:31:49 am »
sorry about that.  i would merge the thread if i knew how to

Offline OptimisticKid

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 02:32:53 am »
Hi All, its been a few years since i posted on this forum.  I am going to go for testing in the morning, havent been tested since 2003 and wanted some imput from the experts here on the board.  I have had several unprotected oral sex partners over the years and ONE unprotected  sex instance.  I was in a relationship and i was the insertive top.  It was a one time situation, lubrication was used. How complex is it to tranfer from bottom to top?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 08:10:10 am »
Hi,

I've merged your threads here. As you have been advised, in the future if you have occasion to write in, please put all entries in this same thread. Thanks for your cooperation.

As far as your latest concern, it's a good idea to get tested. The only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected anal and vaginal intercourse. It is true that the risk is lower for the insertive partner. But lower risk is not the same as no risk so in the future you have to learn from this experience and whoever is inserting does need to be wearing a condom. Condoms provide very effective protection.

The only time condoms can be dispensed with safely is should you find yourself in a securely monogamous relationship in which both partners have tested negative at a reliable testing point. Otherwise condoms are a must and no exceptions.

Receiving oral is not a risk for transmission. Giving oral is theoretically a risk but in actuality your own saliva, which has over a dozen proteins and elements, very effectively prevents the transmission of viable HIV.

We do recommend that anyone who is sexually active ought to regularly have a full STD panel done because other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV. So do that at least once a year and more often you are very active sexually.

Given that you are reporting it was only one occasion I would say the odds are in your favor that you will test negative. Good luck on the test and keep us posted.

Andy Velez

Offline OptimisticKid

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 08:19:09 pm »
Thanx Andy...you know your stuff.  Tested Negative with a orasure Rapid...thanks to all the contributors on this board!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 09:14:00 pm »
That's very happy news to receive. Glad for you.

Now, protect that gift in the future by always without exception using a condom for any kind of intercourse. Condoms do the job very effectively.

Cheers and good luck to you.
Andy Velez

Offline OptimisticKid

Horrible Exposure experience. Advice needed
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 07:40:58 am »
On September 30, i was a unprotected insertive (top) partner to a male who pretended to be of a negative status but was actually positive. 11 Days later the receptive partner (i was the insertive partner) revealed that he was actually positive and lied about his status. I was shown his positive result and immediately went to get tested despite the window being to short.  On the 11th day (October 11th) I tested with a 4th generation Alere Determine combo test and both declared negative. On the 12th day, I went to the clinic to speak with my doctor who performed baseline tests and tested negative with the Insti test and also took a blood draw for a viral load test (which two weeks later came back 0 no viral load detected). On this 12th day I was also given a 30 day supply of Truvada and Tivicay to begin taking (at my request as i assumed the worst at this point and started treatment even though i was far past the PEP effectiveness window.) At the 3 week mark (24 days past exposure) on october 24th I took a oraquick at home test which tested negative. On October 29th (29 days past exposure) I repeated the Alere Determine combo test which both came back negative and was told these tests are highly accurate at the 28 day mark.  on November  1st (31 days past exposure) The doctor repeated the Insti test and it also was negative. My question is are these tests highly accurate at the 4 week mark? and will me starting Truvada and Tivicay at the 12 day mark affect my results? If i would have actually contracted the virus, would it have shown up by now despite being on Truvada and Tivicay being that i started it 12 days after and not 72 hours after? Id like to know are the odds in my favor? or have i made a mess by starting medications before getting a definite result?

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 08:37:40 am »
I hate to preach but in this case I think you need it, I say that as reading back your thread you have been educated on this before yet seem to not have understood how safer sex works as you seem to mistakenly believe if someone test negative or claims to have, that you are safe or that you have no burden of responsible when this is not the facts.   

To sum up your post: You engaged in unprotected intercourse and than started PEP 12 days afterwards. So you accepted a HIV risk and than far too late started PEP that by that stage was pointless and want to know when to test.

Let me be clear on this point that him or anyone else in the future claiming to have a negative status is meaningless to you. Because even if you are having intercourse with someone who tested negative on the day, that test result would still be meaningless to you. Useless information, safer sex is not just engaging in unprotected intercourse with people who have or claim to have tested negative as that is accepting a real HIV risk.

All a negative result means is they were negative some 3 months ago. Nice for them 3 months ago, zero value to you now. Worse yet if they are indeed in the initial stage of a HIV infection yet still in the window for testing so showing negative on tests, the risk of transmission to you would be vastly greater.

If you are going to be sexually active there are responsibility's that come with it, take responsibility and stop expecting others to be responsible for you. its simple really, to agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the greater possibility of being infected with an STI and a HIV risk.  Sex without a condom and/or PrEP lasts only a matter of minutes, but HIV is forever.

Going forward look after yourself, use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions and test regularly. Consider starting PrEP as an additional layer of protection against HIV.

As for Testing:

As you took PEP albeit no good for this exposure, it was in the early days of the possible infection so, instead you should be testing post finishing the PEP at 6 weeks and again at 3 months for a conclusive result.

Jim

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider starting PrEP as an additional layer of protection against HIV

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature to our POZ pages, this includes information on HIV Testing

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 08:47:08 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline OptimisticKid

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 01:32:12 pm »
I definitely understand the foolishness of putting oneself at risk. It was definitely a mistake that i horribly regret.  Being that i started 12 days late would I have developed antibodies at the 22 day mark approximately despite being on Truvada and Tivicay?

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 01:42:40 pm »
Hiya,

Look what happened, happened just learn from the experience.
22 days is early even without PEP. Without PEP I would have said its rare for a 4-6 week negative result to change, however due to outliers etc 3 months is conclusive. If you retest at 3 months post exposure its up to you.

However you took the PEP from the 12th day onward, so post the time it would have taken for HIV to infect your cells but perhaps before levels peeked and also before the immune systems antibodies reacted ... I don't know, its not everyday someone starts PEP at 12 days however given what I do know I can therefore only recommend testing as if you had taken PEP from day 1 out of caution. So post finishing the PEP test at 6 weeks for an initial result and than at 3 months for a conclusive result.

In short I would rather be ultra conservative on the testing advice we give here considering the scenario you are presenting.

Jim
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 01:49:06 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2018 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.