Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:32:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772786
  • Total Topics: 66297
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 205
Total: 207

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Atripla Any Reactions?  (Read 23767 times)

Offline gabbyny

Atripla Any Reactions?
« on: August 17, 2006, 05:30:39 pm »
Just started Atripla this week (new one pill formulation of truvada + sustiva). Seem to be getting a much faster fastigue/low grade stomach upset effect than with taking the two meds separately. Nothing severe, just wondering if the new formulation may take a bit of adjusting to as with any new med. I know this is new territory and was curious if there is enough wide range use yet to start getting some feedback.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Atripla Any Reactions?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 05:41:43 pm »
We don't have it here yet. Other than the side effects you have, how much bigger is Atripla pills than the others?

Offline appleboy

• Just me!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 07:51:35 pm »
I started Atripla almost a week ago.  The pill is only slightly larger than the Truvada and Sustiva pills.  I have been having issues sleeping but it seems to have gotten worse with the Atripla.  I wonder if it is how the pill is layered and is digested that makes it do this.  I have noticed I have been rather tired too now again that come from the issues of not sleeping well.  I can fall asleep but tend to wake up often.  I have not had the vivid dreams in serveral weeks now as I think my body has adjusted to that.
AppleBoy
If you are walking down the street and your pants drop to your ankles bend over pick them up and keep on walking!
My Blog

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 07:54:31 pm »
Hi Gabby, an interesting observation...I expect some people will have less side effects on the single people and some people more.  The drug co's are keen on it cos it has a marketing advantage but truthfully, 2 pills (Sustiva+Truvada) aint much more inconvenient thatn 1 eh? Can you switch back if you want?  - matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline BB

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 03:28:39 am »
I took my first Atripla today and stopped taking Epzicom, Lexiva and Norvir. The first thing I noticed about two hours after taking the new meds was a feeling of being light headed. Then I got a head ache and then I felt like insects were biting my face. The biting sensation turned to a burning sensation, not constant and only at various places on my face.

Hopefully this annoying burning sensation will go away soon and this will be the only side effect I'll get.

Better life through chemistry!

Bill
Damn the Torpedoes! Full speed ahead! Adm. D. Farragut.

Started Atripla 8/18/06 and if I eat the right food when I take my meds, I get to go on a-trip-la.

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 02:16:38 pm »
Bb I had that heat sensation. It wasn´t burning. Only heat and when I touched my face (for example) I could hardly feel my own fingers touching my face. Now it has gone. It was like being in a semi-coma. Nice sensation!
I agree with matt...one or two pills...The important thing is not the number of pills but the number of times you have to take pills during the day.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline BB

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 05:19:32 pm »
Day two and no side effects that I've noticed. I can't believe I put up with two years of diarrhea and fatigue from epzicom, lexiva and norvir. What really bothers me is my ex doctor and why he didn't take me off the combination immediately. I guess being famous and well liked doesn't equate to being good.

I hope I've seen an end to side effects for some time.

Bill

Started Atripla 8/18/06 and if I eat the right food when I take my meds, I get to go on a-trip-la.

Offline gabbyny

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 08:15:33 pm »
Thanks to all for the replies. I will give the Atripla a month and can easily go back to to the two pills separately as I had no problems that way except the usual Sustiva effects if I eat heavily too close to bedtime. One advantage for me is that it is one copay per month instead of two. Size is hardly bigger than the Sustiva tab. BB sorry about your experience. I went through similar with Kaletra and AZT was the worst. I'd be interested to see how things go by the end of month Appleboy with the sleeping. Guess we are pioneering this a bit. Overall seems it will work out I think.

Offline Rightbrain

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 08:41:06 pm »
I've been on Sustiva/Truvada for 3 years and switched to Atripla about 6 weeks ago as part of the trial.  The Sustiva high seems to have come back just a little more, but other than that it's nothing different.  As I always say, if there's a cure I hope I can have all the leftover Sustiva.

brother joe
If there's a cure I hope I can have all the leftover Sustiva.

Offline appleboy

• Just me!
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 07:19:47 pm »
Gabby,
So far sleeping has been coming fine lately.  I still have issues with waking up for no reason.  I tend to get that Sustiva lightheadedness more than on the 2 pills.  I am having major problems with anger.  I get so freaking mad at stupid little things.  I cannot stand it as it drives me nuts and everyone gets mad with me.  My boyfriend broke up with me cause I would just bite his head off.  Tonight I was cooking waffles and eggs.  The waffles stuck and I burned the butter in the pan while trying to remove the waffles that had stuck.  I really have a hard time trying to do multiple things at one time.  So any ways I decided to to scope out the fourms while I cool off. 
Cooling off,
AppleBoy
If you are walking down the street and your pants drop to your ankles bend over pick them up and keep on walking!
My Blog

Offline Teresa

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 07:47:58 pm »
Hubby will start on Atripla in a few days. Im going to the pharmacy tomorrow to fill his prescription. Hes done so good on the Sustiva/Truvada. I hope he does as well on this.

I hope he doesnt have the anger issue as a side effect....Id hate to have to hurt him...LOL

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 08:51:44 pm »
Hello,

Starting Atripla in a week and I'm  glad I found this thread.  Thanks for all the good information and advise.  When I have questions in my head, I always come here to ease my worries.  Trust me it does work for me. 

I truly have courage.... thanks to you all

max
Go with it and KEEP MOVIN!  Life is good today and I am glad to be here

Offline Teresa

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 10:28:50 pm »
Hey all,

Went today and filled hubbys prescription for Atripla.

The pharmacist said that they are recommending you take it at bed time with a full glass of water. He asked when hubby took his old meds and i told him around 7pm. He said hubby should try it at bed time and see how it works for him.

HE will take the first dose Thursday.

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06

Offline kabbalahboy

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 04:50:11 pm »
I started atripla on Aug. 7, 2006 (First time on meds). The first night was crazy, I guess I had a little hallucination.  My second night was fine, I don't have vivid dreams and I don't have problems sleeping. My first week on atripla I felt a little drunk. I no longer get the drunk feeling. Last week, I had a rash for five days and then it went away. But now I have this intense itch all over my body. Sometimes it is unbearable and feel like I'm being eaten alive by bugs. I've been popping benadryl like crazy.

Offline BB

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2006, 03:15:46 pm »
Atripla is great compared to what I was on. The side effects are minimum to almost non existent.

I also found if I don't eat a few hours before and a few hours after I take the pill, the side effects are even less. I started taking my meds at noon and will continue to do so.

My only question is will the meds continue to work for years and will the side effects stay away. My doc said yes to both as long as I don't miss a dose here or there to frequently.

Offline gabbyny

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 05:05:52 pm »
UPDATE: I am now in week 3 and all side effects are gone. I am experiencing no difference with the Atripla from the previous 2 pill combo. Of course the usual caveat of keeping the pill time away from heavy meals still holds. It has been more difficult in the summer with some evening get togethers with friends and I have had a few "dreamy nights" and mild stomach upset or wrestless sleeping. But nothing as severe as some of firends here have experienced. So at least in my case it has turned out to be a good thing. Let's hope their are no unexpected issues like Apples battery recall.

Offline elroy

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 07:01:39 pm »
I have been on Atripla a week and the major side effect for me is horrible fatigue.  I just go to bed for 3 hours in the middle of the day.  I have been taking it in the AM, but will go on the PM dose tomorrow.  I will have to adjust my eating habits to have an empty stomach tho since we are on MT time and usually go to bed at 10:30 after the news.

What exactly is considered an empty stomach?

Offline BB

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 04:26:24 am »
If I don't eat anything 4 hours before and 4 hours after I take the pill I'm good. If I want a buzz, the Atripla high, I take the pill with food and off I go. What fun!

BB
Buzzing Bill  ;D

Offline Rob P

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2006, 06:32:28 am »
Greetings, All:
I'm making the switch to Atripla this afternoon.  Thanks for your posts and suggestions re when to take it.  Been on Sustiva/Truvada since June and boy oh boy that combo works!   (CD 4 @ 500 and VL is < 50.)  Problems with Sustiva/Truvada have be bizarre (but interesting dreams) and a sleeping pattern that sucks!   Will take the Atripla @ 5p.   Dinner at 7.   However, after reading Buzzing Bill's comment, I'll remember to eat closer for a fun time   hehehehehe
Best thing with the new pill is the one co-pay!   From $60 to $30.  MMMMM  I can afford a tank of gas again!

Rob

Offline bigshoot2002

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2006, 12:34:18 am »
Two days with atrpla and only the drunk feeling, 

Offline BB

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2006, 12:19:08 am »
All the fun stuff fades away after some time. I've been on Atripla for over a month and experience no side effects. :'(  Not even the good ones, blast! >:(

Offline TimHere

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2006, 04:46:29 pm »
I switched to Atripla 3 days ago and got some new and worse side effects than the two pill combo. Stomach issues, weak muscles and wacko dreams. I think it is a garbage product that benefits the joint venture partnership of the drug companies more than the patient. I would love to see some of the drug company share holders sample this drug and experience "hands on" some of these side effects. They would probably take more R&D time to fully research this product before releasing it. My prediction is that this will prove to be a loser for quality of life. I am starting back on the two pill combo where I can have more control of my side effects. I wish anyone on this drug good luck. Edgar Allen Poe probably would have liked this pill

Offline Teresa

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2006, 06:53:44 pm »
Hubby has been on Atripla for a month and he has had no side effects at all from it. He goes in a couple of weeks to the dr for his next set of labs so well we see how is numbers are.

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06

Offline carbonNYC

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2006, 01:56:01 pm »
What an excellent thread!

I start Atripla tonight, and it's great to hear others' experiences. I don't drink, so I'm wondering if this common "drunk feeling" is going to be really bad or uncomfortable for me. Also, I always sleep well but I have been having more weird dreams in the past couple weeks because the just upped my Wellbutrin (i.e., my antidepressant). The combo of the two will either be very good or very bad, I'm betting -- but it sounds like for most people a month was enough to make it all fine...

The itching (which my doctor mentioned) is what I'm most nervous about. But only one person mentions it. Has that been a common thing, but just not troubling for most people? Or is it rare but severe?

Thanks for being so chatty about this; it's unbelievably helpful.

-David
David
carbonNYC -a-t- gmail.com
Check out the Flickr photos I've taken!

Offline TimHere

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2006, 06:22:48 pm »
The switch back from Atripla to the two pill combo was a very smart decision for me. I take the truvada earlier in the day with meals and the "orange bomb sustava" at night. I use 6 mg of melatonin to help me sleep. I instantly lost the horrid fatigue the next day. (It was like night and day) I, also, take 800 mg of SAME in the morning so I really have not had any of the mental stuff happen. (Don't take SAME if you are bi-polar) I actually like the dreams the "orange bomb" gives me. But I don't like the semi-drunk feeling this stuff produces but it may go away in time.

This drug (Sustiva/Truvada may not be an optimum combo for highly functioning people, but seems to offer less side effects in other areas. Time will tell... but I am willing to bet that Atripla is going to cause some fatigue problems. I still don't get the "one pill for all" concept.

A friend of mine is doing well on this combo (clinically speaking) and commented that he didn't have any side effects. Five minutes into the conversation he asked "What we're we talking about." I couldn't help but laugh to myself. I'm very aware of the forgetfulness this drug produces. Makes me wonder what it does to the wiring of the brain. I'm going to keep a close watch on this and possibly dump the sustiva for virumune in the future.

Offline carbonNYC

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2006, 04:43:59 pm »
I take the truvada earlier in the day with meals and the "orange bomb sustava" at night. I use 6 mg of melatonin to help me sleep. I instantly lost the horrid fatigue the next day. (It was like night and day)

I've repeatedly had doctors tell me NOT to take melatonin as a sleep aid, because it basically creates all sorts of crazy hormone imbalances. Some swear by using it after long flights to prevent jet lag, but haven't read any studies as to it's effectiveness in that case. But I think most people would be ill-advised to supplement their HAART with nightly melatonin supplements.

(Otherwise, I'm glad the change back has worked for you!)
David

Offline bigshoot2002

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2006, 04:51:00 pm »
Hi guys this is my almost 2nd week in Atripla and after 7 days the rash that some of you mention appears i still dealind with that it is kind of scary since my doctor wants that i stop my med but i told him thta i wanna give more days to see if the rash and itch go away.. my rash start 4 days ago and cover almost all my body only respect my face  but finally thi ssaturday i start to see that is dimish specially in the chest area. i cross my fingers since i will have my appoitment with my doc next moday and he will decide then.  Thanks all for your tips they really work for me help me to feel calm with the reactions.   

Offline TimHere

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2006, 02:41:43 pm »
After discussing using 6 mg with both my doctor and pharmacist I was told it was okay. Both are Emory grads. I have used it for over a decade as a sleep aid and it works great for me. I am aware that it is contraindicated for certain preexisting medical conditions such as Hodgkin’s disease, leukemia, or lymphoma. There are other autoimmune diseases where you should not use melatonin. And of course, always discuss with your doctor and pharmacist.

Maybe I should have attached a disclaimer as to my protocol of using meletonin... lol. I am simply reflecting what I do and not advising anyone else should use this product. My decision was based on not wanting to become addicted to sleep medicine. I,also, believe it has many beneficial health properties I wont go into. It certainly needs to be used judiciously.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation about melatonin out there. Two good sources of info are: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/03/050308134331.htm and http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/melatonin/NS_patient-melatonin . Also,the  folks over at lef.org seem to be way ahead of the curve on this and many other supplement subjects.

Offline Pochi

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2006, 11:41:46 pm »
I am on my third night on Atripla (Taking it before bed). The anxiety over the possible side effects is worst than what it is actually doing to me (It is also my first time on meds, having just being diagnosed). But besides feeling drowzy for about 2 hours after waking up, I truly have not experienced any other problems. Good luck to all.

Offline carbonNYC

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2006, 06:52:04 pm »
I am on my third night on Atripla (Taking it before bed). The anxiety over the possible side effects is worst than what it is actually doing to me (It is also my first time on meds, having just being diagnosed). But besides feeling drowzy for about 2 hours after waking up, I truly have not experienced any other problems. Good luck to all.

My third night is tonight -- I guess we're in sync! After one uneventful night, last night was "troubled." I woke up and for about 5 hours felt like something vague was chasing me. I couldn't tell if the anxiety was just a result of fear of intensifying side effects or mild sleep deprivation or an interaction with Wellbutrin or crazy nightmares that I had but didn't remember having.

A klonopin and two cups of chamomile tea later, I was at least able to calm down enough to work.

Tonight, empty stomach and a full glass of water -- as some advocated above -- since I was less careful on that score last night.
David

Offline Esquare

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2006, 12:47:58 pm »
My first night taking it was last night. I've been under the influence for nearly 13 hours now and don't notice a difference. I had a little bit of a feeling like I was trying to get to sleep while being drunk last night and one semi-vivid dream to begin the night. I woke up quick, turned over and was fine. Much of this can be attributed to anxiety I'm sure.

Offline Esquare

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2006, 12:23:08 pm »
My 2nd night is under my belt and it was a bit more eventful but not in a bad way. I took my pill right at 10:30 and stayed up late as I usually do on Saturday after my wife went to bed catching up on stuff I had dvr'd through the week. About 1am I got the drunk feeling and to be honest it was not bad. I tried to send out some emails and it was a bit of a challenge because I was so woosey. That was some of the best sleep I've had in a while. I just sunk right in the bed and sort of floated and then I was out. My wife said I snored pretty badly last night and she did not like that side effect. LOL.  ;D
I feel wonderful this morning so I guess its a night time side effect.

Offline Dave32807

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2006, 04:58:44 pm »
Last night was my twelfth dose of Atripla.  Just like Pochi said, the anxiety over potential side effects turned out to be worse that any side effects themselves.  I felt nothing until this past Saturday morning (October 7th).  I woke up and noticed a rash all over my arms, torso, and legs.  A few hours later, my palms and soles of my feet began to itch like crazy.  I called my doctor and he called in a Rx for methylprednisone and also told me to take some Benadryl.  I started the prednisone yesterday but have not yet had any relief from the itching.  It comes and goes.  Taking a cool shower is soothing.  I am away from home for work and have not been able to get a hold of any hydrocortisone cream, but I am not sure that rubbing that on the soles of my feet would do much good.

My doctor called me this morning to check up on me (I did not expect that, and I thought that was great bedside manners--is that normal?).  He said there was no reason to discontinue the Atripla and that eventually the rash and itching would subside.  I neglected to ask him to define "eventually."  Has anyone else had itchy heels and palms and if so how long did it last?  It's driving me nuts right about now.  I think I am going to soak my feet in a bucket of ice!

Some background: I first tested + in April 1998, but I know that I was infected on October 21, 1997, the night that the Marlins beat the Indians in the World Series, not that I am in to baseball at all, but that's how I remember the date.  I never took meds until 2 weeks ago, even though my doctor at the time (early 1998) was part of the Hit-Hard-Hit-Early gang.  I shudder to think of the side effects I might be dealiing with today if I had begun over 8 years ago.  My CD4 cells were around 900 in April 1998 and they have been slowly but steadily declining ever since.  In late August 2006, they were 400.  My viral load always hovered between 1,000 and 15,000, but then two tests in August came back over 100,000, hence my (our) decision to start treatment.  My doctor said I could probably have gone another year without the risk of an OI, but I (we) felt that now was the right time.

One thing I will never be certain about is why the spike from 2,000 (my viral load in May) to 100,000 three months later.  Earlier this year I participated in a research study of a monoclonal antibody.  Two other subjects and I received a 2 hour infusion of a monoclonal antibody (I cannot remember the name of the pharmaceutical company that makes it).  Our CD4s and VL were tested periodically over the next few months.  My viral load plummeted to 74 and my CD4s went up to 650.  As expected, the benefit was short-lived, and within a month, the numbers returned to where they were prior to beginning the study.  I asked my doctor as well and the nurse who was the study coordinator if my having participated in the study could have caused the spike, but they insisted no.  I'll never know, but I always had an idea that my good fortune of being able to stay off meds for nearly 9 years would not last forever.

Other observations with Atripla: the first three nights I slept like a rock for nearly 11 hours each night.  I was not groggy in the morning.  I was careful to take it 2-3 hours after eating.  Now, my sleep patterns are back to normal, which is about 8 hours a night.  I know I am fortunate to be a good sleeper.  I have never had that "drunk" or "buzzed" feeling.  I have heard that some people will actually take their Sustiva or Atripla with a high fat meal just to get that feeling, and while I am curious, I am more afraid of exacerbating negative side effects, like this rash.   I have had 3 or 4 vivid dreams over the past 12 nights, but none of them were scary, and I usually don't remember them in the morning.  I was really hoping for some fun dreams that I would remember, but that hasn't happened.

If I could just stop the itchy soles and palms, I wouldn't have anything negative to say...

Offline Optimistic

• An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctors Away!
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2006, 12:12:56 am »
Hello Everyone,

I'm just curious as to how likely will Altripla cause liver problems and/or other problems that were posted on the drugs section of this site? Thanks.

Justin
12/06 (Atripla): cd4 - 260; cd% - 33%; vl - 169
1/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 267; cd% - 38.1%; vl - 132
4/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 373; cd% - 33.9%; vl - <50
7/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 287; cd% - 35.8%; vl - <50
9/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 356; cd% - 39.5%; vl - <50
12/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 517

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2006, 01:21:29 am »
I have enjoyed reading the posts about atripla. I am not on meds yet but have been poz since 97. My last counts were 372cd4/13000viral load. I have been amazed with how my body has been fighting this on it's own but am realistic enough to know that eventually I will need meds. My last visit with doc,we discussed this and he thinks atripla with abacavir will be the best course of action. I also diabetic and I was told that the hiv will clash with the diabetes because it affects the immune system as well. The funny thing was that my hiv counts were good and my blood sugars were all over the place. Getting them both level would be nice, any suggestions? Or advice?
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2006, 12:12:42 pm »
I had been posting to my fate with this drug, well since you asked , the dreams are unreal, not like the Sustiva ones. Last night I was in a court. Some kind of criminal trial. Someone came from behind me and shot me in the back of the neck. I woke as the bullet was about to hit.
This is getting too bizarre and I think I want to go back to the 2 drugs. I am also waking up ever 2- 3 hours.
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline Esquare

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2006, 06:39:00 pm »
I take my 6th dose of Atripla tonight and other than the drunkeness feeling an hour after I take it I've really been ok. (Knock on wood and fingers crossed that it stays that way.)

My nurse warned me that the dreams could still come at any time so I'm aware of that as well as any rash that could appear. Man it would be great to be able to stay on this long term although with the dizzy/drunk feeling its doubtful that I will take a sip of any alcohol for a long while.

Offline newbiefl

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2006, 11:10:55 pm »
I started Atripla 15 days ago. Day 1, I took the first dose before bed and felt drunk. The next 5 days were uneventful. Day 7 i broke out in a rash that started on my hands and feet and eventually covered most of me. The doc and I decided to try and treat through it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 08:56:29 pm by newbiefl »

Offline Esquare

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2006, 08:21:02 pm »
I'm now on my 8th day of Atripla and last night I stayed up way past my normal bedtime. For the first time I had no dizziness. I'm still waiting on that rash and looking for it but none yet.

Offline gay4kink

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2006, 12:52:17 pm »
4 weeks on Atripla for me and only really one tiny issue.  I tend to wake up after 5-6 hrs.  Usually I'm able to go back to sleep for a bit longer pretty easily so it's not a big deal.  I'm still hopeful that even that little issue will subside with more time.  I just had blood drawn for the first post switch tests.  Hopefully they will confirm that this was an excellent change for me.  I'm hoping to be taking this for a long, long time.  I was on my old combo (AZT & Hivid for 14 yrs).  Hey, if I can get that much time out of every combo, I should be able to die happy at 100!

Offline BB

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2006, 04:11:21 am »
Still on Atripla and loving it. Thank gaud the buzz is back with a vengeance and will last for hours. Sometimes the trip fades away then returns much later. Plus, I've found certain foods give the buzz a kick (low fat microwave popcorn, Half & Half in the coffee) I can tell y'all work can really be way more fun that it's supposed to be!

Plus I still get the vivid dreams which are also a hoot.

I still work rotating shifts each month all year long so the change in sleep doesn't bother me much anymore. If I really need help sleeping however, I'll sip a small glass of red wine while reading in bed. 

Here's to ya!
BB

Offline colbaltblue

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2006, 11:24:53 am »
I have been taking Atripla for the 4th month now, I seem to be adjusting, but still have occassional vivid dreams, another thing that I have discovered, and this had happened when I was taking sustiva before, is that I have had racing heart beat in excess to 100 beats a minute, usually after one of these dreams.  I am going to talk to my doctor about this. I think my heart is skipping beats, but I cant be sure. I know one thing, is that I do have some problems after these dreams with an aching in my head.  Im not sure if there is any correlation, but I am going to check this out.  I also have had during the day, fainting like feeling.  This doesn't happen all the time, just once in a blue moon.  I do know that when these symptoms have happened I was taking either the sustiva +combivir meds, and now the atripla.  Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Offline AustinPZ

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2006, 09:41:55 am »
I finally started taking meds.  Was diagnosed poz Dec 04.  I had been running cd4 around 600 but the viral load was about 200,000.  What finally tipped me over the edge was my 3rd Herpes related infection in a 6 month period of time.  The doc recommended atripla.  So 3 months ago I swallowed my 1st expensive pill just before bed.  I went through the bizare dreams and dizziness.  I never did get any rash.  As I said I'm on my 3rd month and the dreams are pretty normal and vivid, the dizziness is gone.  I have occaisonal nausea but is gone by the lunch time..  ;D.  My last doc visit cd4 was 600 and viral load was 150.  It seems to be working for me. 

Offline peteb

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2010, 10:47:00 pm »
and this is after all these years
I just found out I was pos.
i have been on the same med for 5 weeks my body has rash i itch all the time

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.