Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:22:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 380
Total: 381

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: a bit scarred; and would appreciate an opinion on testing  (Read 26728 times)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: a bit scarred; and would appreciate an opinion on testing
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2010, 06:57:07 pm »
Fortunately fears aren't facts. And the facts of the situation do not warrant thinking you had a genuine risk.

You need to get on with your life. And you are still on the verge of getting a Time Out. Get busy with other things...
Andy Velez

Offline bk49

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2010, 10:36:15 pm »
thank you for the reply Andy.  i guess i need to give myself a time out. 

Offline bk49

oral sex
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2010, 08:11:26 pm »
i have read numerous times on this forum that oral sex does not constitute testing.  my question is this:  if a man sticks his penis in a woman's mouth and she "deep throats" him, doesn't that constitute testing?  isn't the head of a penis coming into contact with membraneous cells in the throat?  i am fairly educated on the topic but this is one I could not answer.  thanks in advance.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2010, 08:31:41 pm »
Such an experience doesn't change the reality that saliva contains over a dozen elements and proteins which act as a very effective barrier to the transmission of viable HIV.

Andy Velez

Offline bk49

« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2010, 09:00:18 pm »
so the head of the penis coming into contact with the back of the throat does not constitute testing?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2010, 09:17:29 pm »
Reread what Andy said. You did not have a risik on contracting HIV.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2010, 09:31:48 pm »
so the head of the penis coming into contact with the back of the throat does not constitute testing?

Of course not. Contrary to what is apparently a heteronorm, deep-throating is not *at all* an uncommon ability/activity.

There is no need to test over insertive oral sex. Period.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline bk49

question regarding testing and expert opinions
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2010, 03:32:04 pm »
hello,
i have a question regarding testing and use of condoms.  maybe more for clarification...  i have read in numerous posts that when using a condom effectively, a test is not warranted.  but i have also read on this forum that if one is sexually active, he/she should be tested every three months.  so my question is this:  if one uses a condom effectively for three months, does he/she still need to test after three months?  thank you in advance.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2010, 03:40:37 pm »
We don't say get tested every 3 months if sexually active. What we recommend is testing with a full STD panel at least once a year and more frequently if there are any STD symptoms.

We do that because other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV. So that's a prudent move on the part of anyone who is sexually active. 
Andy Velez

Offline bk49

« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2010, 07:11:39 pm »
thanks Andy.  so the statement still holds?  if one uses a condom effectively, no need to test in three months?  is that fair?  thanks again.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2010, 08:33:03 pm »
thanks Andy.  so the statement still holds?  if one uses a condom effectively, no need to test in three months?  is that fair?  thanks again.

Yus, that is correct.

MtD

Offline bk49

« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2010, 12:36:05 pm »
i have read in a previous post from Andy that one should not worry about a small hole in a condom.  he stated that when a condom fails, it is frayed like a hula hoop.  does this mean microscopic holes in condoms are non existent?  thanks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2010, 01:42:54 pm »
bk,

Microscopic holes in condoms is a myth put out by the Catholic Church. Pay no attention to it.

Ann
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 01:45:36 pm by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bk49

« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2010, 07:47:00 pm »
thanks ann.  so it is safe to say that "micro tears" in condoms is not something to worry about?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2010, 08:25:43 pm »
thanks ann.  so it is safe to say that "micro tears" in condoms is not something to worry about?

No such thing as "micro tears" in a condom. If they remain intact they're good.

MtD

Offline bk49

« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2010, 11:08:53 pm »
thanks matty.  what is the danger of double bagging or wearing two condoms?  is it really more unsafe to wear two condoms than one?  i read in a post on this forum that there is a danger to wearing two and that one should never double bag.  is there really truth in this?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2010, 11:11:55 pm »
thanks matty.  what is the danger of double bagging or wearing two condoms?  is it really more unsafe to wear two condoms than one?  i read in a post on this forum that there is a danger to wearing two and that one should never double bag.  is there really truth in this?

NEVER DOUBLE BAG.

The effect of latex rubbing against latex is to rupture both condoms. One in date, quailty brand latex condom used with water based lube is more than sufficient.

MtD

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2010, 11:14:17 pm »
I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to wear two condoms as the friction would probably increase the chances that one or both would fail --- Also, I used to teach safer sex classes and one of the things I used to point out is that if you have to put two condoms on to have sex with someone then what does that say about your thoughts regarding what you might "catch" from the person.... wearing two condoms, in addition to not being effective, also says to me that you think the person you are sleeping with (or that you yourself) have something that is sexually transmittable....  just my thoughts on the matter.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2010, 07:03:54 am »
Phil, although your good intentions are appreciated in responding here, a rule of this site is that only those who are authorized to do so may respond to questions in this section.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.