Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 08:43:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773166
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 286
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 203
Total: 204

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Prayers for Bobby - Lifetime movie  (Read 6315 times)

Offline Texan38

Prayers for Bobby - Lifetime movie
« on: January 26, 2009, 08:46:10 am »
Did anyone else see this movie on the Lifetime channel? Sigourney Weaver played the very religious mother who didn't want a gay son because it says in the bible being gay is an "abomination" so she pretty much pushed him away. Bobby moved out of the house and ended up jumping off a bridge, killing himself.  Being heartbroken, the mother questioned her religious beliefs and she eventually ended up being a strong advocate for PFLAG and redeemed herself for the guilt of feeling responsible for her sons death because of her religious beliefs.
It was based on a true story. Very moving and I must admit, I almost cried at the end!
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
Re: Prayers for Bobby - Lifetime movie
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 09:22:39 am »
It really is a tragic and moving story.  I also was a little teary eyed at the end too.  I read the book many years ago so I knew how it ended.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 10:23:02 am »
http://www.mylifetime.com/on-tv/movies/prayers-bobby

Dam it!!! I was trying to remember the name of that movie and watch and even search the web for it.  Thank you for your post.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 04:02:15 pm »
It was a great movie!   Made me cry also.....

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline dixieman

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 05:12:58 pm »
Very Good movie... I had a couple of friends who experienced similar responses from their families... unfortunately one took his life.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 03:12:25 am by red_Dragon888 »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 05:55:40 pm »
I watched it 3 times. It was on back to back and then again the next day on LMN... I plead the fifth on getting teary eyed.

Offline ga1964

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 01:44:50 am »
I saw it tonight.  It was hard for me to watch, because I lived what Bobby went through.  Having to hide from my family, friends, employers, pretty much everone.  When I finally did come out, My Mother disowned me and we did not talk for 15 years.   We started talking several years ago and she has made great improvements in accepting me and my partner.  It's 15 years that I'll never get back. 

I know what Bobby was going through.  The pain of rejection by the one person that should never reject you.  I did not come out to my parents till I was in my 30s, because if I had done it in my teens, I would have been sent to psychiatrists, and the bible camps to "heal" me.  I'm sure that my stepfather would have made every attempt to make a "man" of me, even if he had to beat it into me.

It's terrable that Bobby chose to end his life, but I can respect his choice to stop the pain ripping him apart.  Sometimes I wish that I had the courage to take the same leap. 

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 04:48:46 am »
I wiped the tears away watching this movie ... but don't take too much stock in that because I still cry every time I watch Beaches or Steel Magnolias.

And to ga1964,  I'm glad you had the courage NOT to take that leap.

Hugs to all (while I go cry some more)  :D
AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 11:13:17 am »
I am glad also you didn't take the leap.  I was like that also and coping is still a life long problem.   However, my alter ego or guardian angel said to me, fight for your own life and deal with others as you can.  Of course, that meant to put on the fake mask and try to hide my gayness.  But, in a way, it stopped me from being whole and I walk around with a striaght man's mask hiding my gay self in plane site.  I know my parents and family will not love me for who I am; so therefore, I have stop loving them.   It is truly not easy being Green.  But I wonder, yes I wonder...

Offline Texan38

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 11:48:42 am »
I think it's horrible for someone to go through such confusion and family constantly stating it's wrong to be gay because the bible says so then being disowned by your own family - it's heartbreaking. Personally, I've never been in that situation yet sadly I'm fully aware that such strong religious beliefs still and will always exist.
ga1964, I to am so glad you didn't take that leap and wonderful to read that things eventually turned out for the better (slowly but surely) between you and your mother. RedDragon, reading your post saddened me but I'll ya what - from reading your previous posts, you are truly one helluva nice guy! Now all you need to do is put some makeup on that mask!  ;)
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline ga1964

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 12:22:32 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, but I just wish my life was over so the pain would end.

I am not able to have a life.  My ID. told me to take a weekend get away, but I cannot afford to do so.  I did not have the courage to jump off an overpass, but I constantly am thinking how I could end it all without pain or leaving a mess for someone to clean up, or someone finding me before pills would be able to do the job.

I just want it to end.

Offline randym431

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2009, 04:14:43 am »
I was going to start a post on this film too.
I thought it was old but its a new 2009 film, or release.
What hit me was how realistic it was as to reactions from "some" family and parents.
The dad was detached cause a father with a gay son might feel fingers pointing at him as to his influence.
The brother could not keep his mouth shut, even when his own brother ask him to.
He turned it into gossip.

The mom was worse, but typical in a fundie religious family.
I loved those little stick-em notes she tacked all around trying to "change" him.
I could see that happening in real life.

I guess that’s why its best to just find a good F-buddy and both move away to San Francisco. (Or San Diego)  ;)

I’d would have just told them all where to go, rather jumping off a bridge, packed and moved away. I wouldn’t have any respect for parents, if they had none for me.
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline ademas

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 10:44:32 am »
Very moving film for me.
It's exactly how I grew up, and continues to be a dynamic in my family.
I was impressed because they really were able to show the complexity of the emotions involved, rather than just 100% villify the parents.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2009, 08:49:06 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, but I just wish my life was over so the pain would end.

I am not able to have a life.  My ID. told me to take a weekend get away, but I cannot afford to do so.  I did not have the courage to jump off an overpass, but I constantly am thinking how I could end it all without pain or leaving a mess for someone to clean up, or someone finding me before pills would be able to do the job.

I just want it to end.
No, you don't.  You want someone to talk to and help relieve the shame and the depression being gay in an intolerant striaght world.  It is not your fault that you were born perfect and the family and idiot strangers can't see that you are unique and powerful.  They are just afraid to admit to themselves that you are normal and that you are a magicial free spirit.  Don't let them tear you down like what Bobbie's mother did to him.  You must find strenght to be yourself and not let them take anything of your personality and your beauty away from you.  And you, must find a power base to gain strenght from.  Otherwise, you are hurting your wonderful being from developing.  Don't let that father's, mother's or who ever disapproving looks or attitude make you stray.  Don't let the need to hide from being gay become a lifetime mission.  Go away to and live free from their bullshit and gain self respect, love and honor for being you. 

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 08:51:59 pm »
I think it's horrible for someone to go through such confusion and family constantly stating it's wrong to be gay because the bible says so then being disowned by your own family - it's heartbreaking. Personally, I've never been in that situation yet sadly I'm fully aware that such strong religious beliefs still and will always exist.
ga1964, I to am so glad you didn't take that leap and wonderful to read that things eventually turned out for the better (slowly but surely) between you and your mother. RedDragon, reading your post saddened me but I'll ya what - from reading your previous posts, you are truly one helluva nice guy! Now all you need to do is put some makeup on that mask!  ;)
I'm painting it on with a giant paint brush.   :D

Offline ga1964

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 12:04:17 am »
Thanks Red,

It took a long time for my parents to accept me being gay, but they finally came around.  The thing I hate the most, is all the time that was lost.  I didn't have a real relationship with my Father until I was in my late 20's and my Mother and I did not talk for 15yrs.

Things are a lot better with them now, but I still feel the need to "hide" the real me from them at times.  I don't know if I'll ever feel 100% comfortable to be me without worrying that I might say or do something that they would consider embarrassing.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Offline randym431

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 03:18:20 am »
I "finally" finished the whole movie. (Long story)
ANyway, like I said above I liked the film, but really I think Bobby had other issues.
A lot of gays face rejection, but to go as far as to jump off a bridge tells me something else
was going on here. Some people are just unstable, and need help with everyday coping.
And I hate to say it, but there are some gays that tend to be drama queens looking for attention.
Detached from the consequences of allowing themselves to go over the edge.
I knew a guy that looked just like the real Bobby. Had that same wild/adventurous look as I felt the real Bobby had. Someone that liked attention and needed it, or they would get depressed.
This guy I knew often got depressed after a relationship breakup, and would say things like
he imagined driving home and turning the car into on coming traffic to end it all.
I would tell him to realize the innocent other driver or family he might also endanger, or worse,
by hitting a stranger head on. And yeah, this guy was a real drama queen. Needed attention.
While family rejection was a part of it with Bobby, I think Bobby (the real Bobby) had larger, more pressing issues going on there. 
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.