Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:09:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773275
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 451
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 377
Total: 378

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: ARS Lymphadenopathy?  (Read 13141 times)

Offline littlemiss

ARS Lymphadenopathy?
« on: January 01, 2009, 07:07:07 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but Teak/RR did help me out at Medhelp.

I still have one question though, and I'm hoping that the experts here will be able to help me out.

I read in sevearl places that the lymphadenopathy associated with ARS is non-tender and non-painful.  Is that correct, or did I misunderstand?  I always assumed that the nodes would be tender, since that is usually associated with infection, and non-tender is usually associated with malignancies and the like.

Anyway, if anyone wants my background info (although Teak already assessed my situation), I had m navel pierced at a tattoo parlor.  It is in a regulated state, and the health department says that the place follows all rules and standards.  I heard that they recently had problems with staph infections though, but I know that it's hard to say where staph originated, since someone could just as easily pick up staph from their own fingers and then blame it on the piercer/tattoo artist.  That was only a claim by one individual anyway.

The piercer said that she always uses new needles and jewelry.  The website says that they have an on-site autoclave, and the place has been in business for over 10 years.

Three days after I had my navel pierced I developed three tender, swollen nodes - one under my chin (submental), one axillary node, and one between my breasts (internal mammary).  The tenderness in the axillary one went away after a day, and the submental one felt better after about three days.  The one between my breasts took a week to feel better.

I know that there are no documented cases of HIV from piercing, but I heard about one possible case, and that continues to worry me, especially with my symptoms (even though people have said that that is too soon for ARS...I read the incARS study and noticed that some individuals developed symptoms in as little as 5 days, and I don't think 3 is too far off from that).

Anyway, my question is mainly about the swollen lymph nodes associated with ARS, and whether or not they truly usually are nontender, or if I read that wrong.

I know that Teak said I need mental help, and I seriously will go to my doctor to get back on my anxiety meds, but this truly is a really scary situation for me.

Offline RapidRod

Re: ARS Lymphadenopathy?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 07:13:22 pm »
DramaPrincess1986, the answers are not going to change. At no time did you have a risk from getting piercings. Seek the professional mental help that you need.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 08:43:01 pm »
Fortunately, thoughts and feelings are not facts. And you have no basis in HIV science to be concerned about your piercing experience.

If you want to really get serious about your life then get some professional help to deal with your fears. We can't address that need in this setting.

Andy Velez

Offline littlemiss

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 12:01:24 am »
Thanks for the replies.  Other Internet people are telling me that I do have a legitimate concern, and that I should get tested in 6 months, because it IS possible.   I know that they aren't experts, but it still scares me when someone says something like that.

Also, i asked Dr. Hook on medhelp (I posted my situation to him a few days ago) about the lymph node thing, and he said that yes, they usually are non-tender and non-painful.  Mine were definitely tender.  Can someone explain to me why they would be non-tender and non-painful?  I always thought any infection would cause tender nodes, and that cancer would cause non-tender nodes.  I have had tender nodes in the past from previous infections (colds, canker sores in my mouth, etc) and these felt the same in terms of tenderness/pain.  Why would HIV infection cause non-tender nodes?

Oh, and I have a question about Hepatitis B.  I was vaccinated at age 11 (three shots total), and I'm now 22.  Would i still be protected against infection from Hep. B?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 12:54:00 am by littlemiss »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 05:01:59 am »
His exact words were, " There is no medical reason for you to be get tested following your piercing in the manner you describe. "
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline littlemiss

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 07:05:49 pm »
Ok, but I'm asking about the lymph node swelling during ARS, and whether they are tender or non-tender during ARS, not if I have had a possible exposure.

Also, I'm still concerned about hepatitis B, and whether I am still protected (I'm 22 now and had the shots when I was 11).

Last, I have a question about testing.  I want to get tested through tstd.org, but I noticed that they only test for HIV-1, and not HIV-2.  How common is HIV-2?  Would testing for HIV-2 be recommended?  I live in NC, and I've been researching, and found no cases of HIV-2 here so far.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 07:07:43 pm by littlemiss »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 07:14:03 pm »
You don't need an HIV test. You didn't have a risk.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 09:53:21 pm »
I just want to reiterate what has already been said to you. You did not have a risk for HIV transmission. Period.

Leave your lymph nodes alone. If you're having problems with them or any other symptoms that's something to discuss with your doctor.

There is absolutely no need for HIV testing in relation to your current concerns. This is not an  HIV situation. Period. End of story.
Andy Velez

Offline littlemiss

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 12:34:39 am »
Ok...I'll try my best to believe that, and I will go seek mental help.  Thanks for your help and suppot RapidRod and Andy Velez!

Offline littlemiss

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 12:57:14 pm »
Well, now I'm scared all over again.

I went to a lab to have my blood drawn (for something totally different), and the nurse commented on how much I was bleeding afterwards.  I've never had that happen, and she said it was caused by a low platelet count.  I just looked it up, and found that it's a sign of HIV infection, and that it can be relaetd to the amount of viral DNA found in the blood.

I'm freaking out.  I've never had this problem before.  I'm now convinced again that I have HIV, and that it is cuasing my platelet count to be reduced.  :(

I don't take apsirin or anything like that.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 01:02:53 pm »
If you would have applied direct pressure until it quit bleeding you wouldn't have bleed. Seek professional help for your anxieties.

Offline littlemiss

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 01:07:20 pm »
She did...she applied pressure for about 15-20 seconds and then took it off, and I bled.  She repeated it a few times and then commenetd on my low platelet count.  I figure that she knows what she's talking about, since she works in a lab and draws blood all day.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 01:10:15 pm »
I don't care where she works. It sometimes takes direct pressure for a couple of minutes. You didn't have a risk of contracting HIV and had you it would not have affected your platelets.

Offline littlemiss

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 01:18:20 pm »
Ok, thanks so much.  I just assumed that she would know what she was talking about. 

Offline littlemiss

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 07:43:18 pm »
I keep reading that low platelet counts are really common in HIV-infected invididuals, and that HIV is listed as a cause for low platelet counts.  Also, I even read somewhere where a doctor suggested that an individual get tested based on the fact that his platelet counts were low.

I'm really trying to get through this, but it's so hard.  I don't even know what to do at this point.  Can I get a PCR test now (19 days past the piercing)?  Would it be accurate?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 07:57:03 pm »
CDC knows of no instances of HIV transmission through tattooing or body piercing, although hepatitis B virus has been transmitted during some of these practices. http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/transmission.htm

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 10:17:39 pm »
You don't need to DO anything as far as HIV is concerned. You didn't have a risk and testing is a waste of money and assets.

We've told you what we think and it's all science-based as far as HIV is concerned. Low platelets and whatever else you may choose to throw into the mix have nothing specifically to do with HIV.

You can't keep coming back here simply because you're anxious. Get some professional help with that if necessary. You're on the verge of getting a time out.
Andy Velez

Offline littlemiss

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 06:58:39 am »
I had my doctor do a CBC, and everything came back normal, with my platelet count at about 222,000.  Since the normal range is 150,000-400,000, I should be happy, but I'm convinced that it's too low since it's in the lower portion of the normal range. 

I didn't mention the HIV thing to my doctor though.  I did mention that my anxiety is back, so he re-prescribed my SSRIs (which I was trying to wean off of).

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 07:34:42 am »
Little,

You need to talk to your doctor about your hepatitis and blood-work concerns. As far as hiv goes, you've been repeatedly told that you did NOT have a risk.

I'd also recommend you speak to your doctor about having some professional therapy to go along with those SSRIs. We cannot help you with that here.

Keep posting over this NO RISK piercing situation and you WILL be given that time out you've been warned about.

Please consider this your last warning.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.