Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:18:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773193
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 265
Total: 267

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How do I ask someone who is HIV+ out  (Read 7435 times)

Offline ad96

How do I ask someone who is HIV+ out
« on: November 09, 2008, 12:21:03 pm »
I need an advice.  I met this guy who is HIV+ and I am HIV-.  I like this guy a lot and want to see where we can take the relationship to.  The thing is that evenever we get closer, he pulls back saying he needs time and that he is under alot of stress (and I add to that stress).  I have a feeling that his vial stat is up and does not know how to deal with it.  He says he has accepted his HIV status and is in peace with it but I don't think he is. Evenever the subject comes-up, he shuts down and pushes me away.  I think I am first person since he became +.

How do I approach him? Will he ever open-up?  Is it me or is it him?  Confussed...

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: How do I ask someone who is HIV+ out
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 01:57:11 pm »
Kindly and politely ask him if you can talk about your feelings.  Then slowly but matter of factly present the same observations you wrote in this post to him. Try to frame your discussion around statements such as "I feel" "I would like" "I notice" and then he can respond, or not, the way he feels and thinks. 

Good luck
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 09:00:55 am »
OR MAYBE... JUST MAYBE "HE'S JUST NOT INTO YOU!!!!

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 05:00:47 pm »
The same way you would like to be asked out.  If you like the guy, ask him to coffee.  If he accepts, great, and if he declines, then you need to respect his boundary and leave him alone.  You are reading way too much into asking him out and if you approach him asking all kinds of questions, he may feel like you are controlling, or worse, needy.

Keep it light, keep it simple.  A cruel rule of life is that we do not always get what we want.  The pursuit of desires is fine, but not at the expense of someones feelings.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 09:23:26 am »
You're assuming his response or lack of same is all about his HIV status. That maybe some element in the formula but it also may have nothing to do with why he's resisting your overtrures.

Keep it simple and don't assume.

As others have indicated he just might not be interested. Or he might be going at a different pace than you would like.You need to respect those as possibiliities. ...Just as hopefully you would with anyone else, regardless of their HIV status.

Once you have let him know how you feel and that you would to know each other better or whatever it is you have in mind, let the chips fall where they may is my suggestion. He's already indicated he's feeling stressed. So be a real friend to him and don't add to it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 09:59:04 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 03:48:44 pm »
I agree with what the others have said with one additional note.  You have already been made aware of one excellent quality of your potential intended:  he was thoughtful enough to tell you of his HIV status before moving into any physical involvement.  I say that speaks volumes about his character.  I hope the rest works out for the both of you.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 04:10:29 pm »
He may have issues with dating a HIV neg guy.  When all else fails, you could just ask.  Don't do it at your place or his.  Go somewhere neutral where you both feel comfortable talking. 

Another time honored tactic is to write him a letter.  Even if you don't actually give it to him, you may find that getting it off your mind can be helpful.  If you do give it to him it gives you an opportunity to be heard.

At the end of the day, you must accept the reality of what he does or does not want.  One thing that is particularly annoying to me, with Neg guys... is how some of them seem to have no regard for their own health.  I'm not saying that is the case with you.  I'm just telling you that you may want to make sure you aren't coming across that way.
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.