Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:39:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 598
Total: 601

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How Do We Ask?  (Read 5846 times)

Offline HopeandCope

• Hope and Cope
How Do We Ask?
« on: September 08, 2008, 02:58:57 pm »
“I just heard from the boy today!” I said to my husband.  “I got 12 yes(s), 15 no(s) and 1 non-committal grunt – all in all a good conversation.”

How many of us parents would like to get into our child’s head and find out everything that we want to know about how they are feeling, how they are coping and anything else that might pop into our parental vortex of multiple choice questions.  When we ask “How are you?” somehow the response fine is just not good enough.  Especially when you read blogs about the POZ person’s sometimes negative view of himself or how he or she thinks the world views them, a non-committal “fine” answer to our myriad of unsaid questions just does not cut it.

But how do we as parents tread lightly but get enough information about our child without alienating that fragile connection we have?  I don't want to hover over my child but I would like to be able to help my son without overwhelming him.

I am writing a new blog at http://hopeandcope.blogspot.com exploring this “fragile” connection supportive parents have with their POZ child and I would like to know how you would like Mom/Dad or support person to approach you with questions they may have about how you are and how you are coping. Jude

Jude
Hope and Cope Support Site
A Safe Place for Families & Friends of HIV+ People
http://hopeandcope.blogspot.com/

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
Re: How Do We Ask?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 04:49:04 pm »
Why not just ask specific questions...can I see your latest labs??? do you have any specific side effects from the meds??? tell me about your visit with the support group...!!!  have you lost/ gained any weight???

so on dont just accept yes / no/ fine......once he/she knows you are interested and not just nosy or intrusive he/ she may "talk to you"

Nick......
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline HopeandCope

• Hope and Cope
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 07:13:38 pm »
When I visited the support group it was a toss up between, "I don't like to talk about it because it worries my mom" or "I don't think she is interested".  It was boiling down to the comfort level of both parties and how it afected the conversations about the health of the child.  Lot of comfort level issues running rampant.

Now with my son, I come right and use the direct approach like you said but it wasn't until I read his partner's blog about his self image that I realized I may have been asking the wrong questions.
Jude

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 09:37:32 am »
One of the ways to get a person to open up is to phrase your questions in such a way as to make a "yes" or "no" answer impossible. Start your questions with words like "how", "what", and "when" instead of "is it" and "do you". Be creative with your phrasing and try to not sound like you're interrogating.

Good luck!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline HopeandCope

• Hope and Cope
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 10:12:46 am »
Excellent Tip Ann!  Thanks!
Jude

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
Re: How Do We Ask?/ How Do We Listen?
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 06:58:53 pm »
Why not just ask specific questions...can I see your latest labs??? do you have any specific side effects from the meds??? tell me about your visit with the support group...!!!  have you lost/ gained any weight???

so on dont just accept yes / no/ fine......once he/she knows you are interested and not just nosy or intrusive he/ she may "talk to you"

Nick......

(Ann just posted her tip, while I was correcting my mistakes on this post; her suggestion is great!)

Nick is so right. If you listen to your child, including retaining some portion of their actual answers to questions you pose to them, you will 1) learn something 2) show you care and reject HIV stigma, etc, and 3) have something specific to study before the next discussion.

It's the art of conversation. It's actions before words, because "What should we talk about?" is not a problem when two people experience something together. Even with a few missteps, in the long run your child would be a lot happier if he/she thought you were interfering, as opposed to indifferent, especially if they know what's in your heart. Trust is everything.

8)  -megasept (who's way way post-adolescent)

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 07:03:22 pm by megasept »

Offline HopeandCope

• Hope and Cope
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 01:03:45 pm »
There are a lot parents that just do not know what to say.  Emotions run the gamut from being angry to be mind numbingly worried.  I know a lot Moms and Dads will benefit from what all of you have to say so I thank you for your input!

I have a case of fatiques this weekend and need to rest but I am going to put that blog post together soon.

Jude
Jude

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.