Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:45:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 255
Total: 256

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Fell on garbage bags in street - Should I get tested?  (Read 4344 times)

Offline AldousOrwell

Fell on garbage bags in street - Should I get tested?
« on: July 26, 2006, 11:23:31 am »
Hi Aldous here. I've been posting on here for about two weeks. It's been interesting and informative.

Not sure if this should go in the 'Living With Forum' but I'm taking the view of a young drunk woman in Camden Town London, last night at 2 am. She may be looking for info under 'Am I Infected'. Even though I'm positive I feel it is more use going here.

Picture the scene. Me and my Spanish friend I know thru poz support group Str8Talk, were piling out of the Dublin Castle pub after a getting a skinful. It was full of hip young trendy indie crowd punters who had just watched a new band called 'The Stations' ( Not bad angular Post-Britpop crossed between Muse and Feeder).

As we strolled/staggered down Parkway we happened upon a strange forlorn sight. A smartly dressed Medja type woman aged about 24, was lying fully reclined back on a pile of full black bin liners. About a dozen in total, and awaiting collection on a street corner against a lamp post. She was off her tits and her boyfriend was looking on laughing at her predicament, on what looked like a reasonably comfortable bed. They were dry and securely tied closed. But bursting at the seams under her size 12 body.

As I drew level I quipped laconically "You might want to watch out for used junkie's needles" and did not even break my stride. My poz Spanish friend did not know whether to laugh at this black humour or applaud me for raising awareness about a theoretical risk of catching Hep C or even , but  medically thought less likely, HIV. A negative person may well have punched me for scaremongering.

Central London's Camden Borough and the Town area itself has a high IV drug user population, I should add. It is well known that many still dispose of old needles in this way, despite an ignorant assumption that after mainlining smack they are copus mentus enough to return used needles to the exchange clinic. Not sure the ratio maybe one in seven addicts are poz but this is rising as awareness of HIV fades. You should see my nearest but thankfully little used train station. I used to arrive at 8.25 am to read the various addicts initials dribbled in blood on the stairs and platform. And needles sometimes on the stairs but mainly on the tracks. I shudder to think how mums with a pram and hyperactive toddler might cope. A Belgium film crew filmed it in around 1999, for a piece called 'Is this the world's worse train station?'

There was also a case of a white Met Policeman picking up a cheeky Pakistani 12 year old and placing him in a street bin a few months back, more as a joke than anything else. It was on the news as the boy's friend videoed it on his phone.  The boy's father was most angry that he was not being taken seriously and raised the issue of carelessly disposed of needles. I'm not sure what compensation was offered but the policeman's car licence plate was also filmed. I think he got a short suspension. 

Anyway, we both looked back over our shoulders having gone about 2 more paces as we heard an almighty shriek of " HELP GET ME UP OUTTAHERE YOU BASTARD!!!, HURRY HURRY" As my poz world and there 'Ignorance is bliss' neg world momentarily collided. Call it a wake up call. She was sling-shotted off the pile as though it were a hot as molten lava,  mountain of vomit. Her arm almost getting dislocated as her now shit-scared and sheepishly guilty boyfriend yanked her up to her feet.

I have no idea if there were needles in the bags. Thinking about it I think it was mainly cafe or sushi bar rubbish after a brisk hot summer night's trade. Lots of empty styrofoam cups etc. But it just made me realise that people can't always be relied upon to make common sense decisions. Clearly my worries had not even entered their, from all appearances, educated if over-coiffured heads. I guess it is the same when they meet a new partner, particularly as they were both straight and white and therefore not a targeted high risk group in need of screening.

So even if you did get a jab in the arse you are probably OK. Still the advice is get tested once a year unless you and your boyfriend have been 100% faithful and always used condoms. But who is ? And how many do?

An interesting epilogue to this bizarre 'nighthawk' experience in ultra trendy Camden was our next encounter. We were now on Camden High Street a minute or two later when a wizzened husk of a woman, probably a size 2 approached us with the opening line of " I'm not begging". She was clearly a herion addict and appeared to be dealing to fund her seemingly now out of control habit. She looked 50 but was probably 35 if a day. My Spaniard friend turned his well healed but needle tracked arms outward and said " You can't fool me I know what you are doing". We suggested she get help and told her to get tested as she did not look like she would last the summer let alone winter. We then told her how we knew each other thru Str8Talk and gave her two quid.

The two incidents brought home the fact that we live in an increasingly two tiered society. In many ways.

I feel many poz people feel consigned to a neatly trussed up pile of garbage. The powers that be think they have dealt with the problem.

Aldous

« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 12:49:11 pm by AldousOrwell »

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
Re: Fell on garbage bags in street - Should I get tested?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 11:46:33 am »
Gotta keep stirring the pot I see.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline AldousOrwell

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 11:49:43 am »
I'm not making this up. If I had not gone out last night I would not have posted this.

What is your point exactly? What is wrong with making people, all people aware of the dangers. They really think HIV has gone away.

Aldous

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 12:46:01 pm »
You have way to much time on your hands and your little story should not have been posted here.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 01:06:27 pm »
Aldous, I agree with the evaluations made by others here previously.

As you have in your previous threads, you express surprise and pique when you get reactions which question your judgement and motives.

This is a section in which people come who are already worried about their HIV status. They do not need you arbitrarily choosing to bring up some possible risk because you've decided to be an HIV Paul Revere riding around announcing possible risks.

I know you probably won't get what I am saying but nevertheless I'm locking this thread in the hope that it just dies away. Quickly.

You're pretty new to this site. Rather than you assuming the role of an unofficial teacher here I suggest that for the timebeing you stick to asking questions or discussing issues which are immediately relevant to you in the LIVING WITH section.

Doing that may help you to get a better lay of the land here.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 01:11:22 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.