Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:16:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773194
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 265
Total: 266

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What US state has the best treatment options for the non insured  (Read 3393 times)

Offline traveltramp

I may have to return to the USA to live in the next 12 months or so and I have no job, no insurance and am basicly indigent, sounds horrible to say but at least there is only one way to go from starting at point 0...

Anyway, my question is this... I would like to know if anyone has any idea of what state offers the best "help" ....  Support, meds, doctors etc.

Thanks,
TravelTramp
5/7 SEROCOVERSION
7/7 CD4 669
9/7 CD4 1079 V/L 1200
2/8 CD4 803   V/L 3050
4/8 CD4 805   V/L 2200
9/8 CD4 959   V/L 2418
1/9 CD4 909   V/L 550

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: What US state has the best treatment options for the non insured
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 11:02:19 am »
Well, there are several other things to consider as well.  My first hunch would be to say it would likely be New York or California versus, say....South Carolina or somwehere.  However, it's also a tad more expensive to live in NY than in SC.  I mean - if you have absolutely nothing, where are you planning to sleep?  Get food, etc?  Those things have to be taken into account as well because they would be important in the overall balance of your health.  A state that offered the whole buffet line of services right down to acupuncture and massage may not do you as good as a state that offers less services if you can't maintain an adequate and nutritious diet and a decent, restful pace to hang your hat at night.

And your post suggests you're just looking to land somewhere in the US.  Do you have family or friends that you are expecting to stay with for some time at first? 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 11:16:14 am »
I can't say for everybody or every state, but my hubby was on NC's program last year.  They told him he'd be on a waiting list.  He was... for a week or so.  I'll have to ask him to verify the exact time, but he had really good care on the plan.  I'll echo what Tim said about South Carolina.  Read this article. 

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 04:48:00 pm »
I've recently come home for a few weeks visit, travel tramp, and it has been a nightmare.  Apparently I may have lymphoma, and trying to get a biopsy in the US is not only very slow and difficult compared to overseas, the cost is mind boggling.  I will probably have to pay up front at least $1,500.

Please if you can avoid it do not come to the US.
Please, just call me Berners.. or Baron.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 09:13:30 am »
 Chicago Ill . , The doctors and staff at Northwestern University hospital took really good care of me despite my lack of insurance . Also Chicago is an affordable city to live in compared to other large city's . One thing to be aware of is Chicago still has away to go in providing housing for PWA"S . If you can work you can find a job there . I lived there for about 13 years . If you can get used to the brutal winters Chicago is a great town .
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 09:19:23 am by jg1962 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mjmel

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 10:06:59 am »
You are an American citizen traveling or temporaily living abroad? Not trying to be invasive here but the answer to that could qualify or disqualify you for different social sevices programs.
You can find the best of care in some little out of the way town in Ohio or in larger cities like Chicago, IL or NYC (but I'd avoid New Orleans, Lousiana or Tennessee ). You might situate yourself where you'd expect to find aid easily only to encouter long hours of standing in long lines to fill out endless forms (Hello Long Beach, California!)--depending where you locate and who you deal with. To my thinking, it's like a game of roulette unless you take the proper measures beforehand. It's a big ass country, as you know.
You've made an inquiry here, and thats good for starteres. Followup with phone calls to agencies of selected states here--once you get enough feedback from your personal quest/research. I would heartily encourage you to do this before you arrive on US soil unless you are have arranged accommodations with friend or relative stateside.

Mike

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 04:59:10 pm »
You might situate yourself where you'd expect to find aid easily only to encouter long hours of standing in long lines to fill out endless forms (Hello Long Beach, California!)--depending where you locate and who you deal with. To my thinking, it's like a game of roulette unless you take the proper measures beforehand. It's a big ass country, as you know.

The Care Clinic at St. Mary's in Long Beach and the Care Program at St. Mary's are the best in the state.  They were the first non-profit to offer HIV services and virtually every HIV center in California has copied the available services.  Many people living with HIV in Long Beach can not be accepted at St. Mary's because there is a waiting list.  Many of my friends were to Harbor General in Gardenia.  Although affiliated with UCLA and USC, Harbor General is not a good place for HIV care, getting through the metal detectors at any door is not an easy task.  I took a friend there once for an appointment which was made in advance.  His ability to pay had expited between the time the appointment was made and the actual appointment.  It was 8:00 AM and had to requalify before the appointment, the room where the paperwork was to be done was empty.  He went to the window and was told to take a number and wait.

For non-insured, it is not possible to choose medical care by state because each state has different funding levels.  As an example there are now 6 Title I EMA's in California as opposed to the previous 9.  For the non-insured, I would not recommend moving to Sacramento, Sonoma or Santa Clara Counties as they have recently lost their Title I funding.  If you can afford to live in San Francisco, San Bernadino, Los Angeles, Contra Costa, Marin, or San Diego Counties, you can get acceptable care without insurance but every place else in California is Title II funded and all Title II monies go to the State of California before going to the healthcare provider.  When the state budget is not approved on time (Arnold Schwartzenneger has never balanced the budget on time), the funds are held until the budget is approved.  Therefore, Federal funding is held until the state gets their shit together.  Have the best day
Michael

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.