Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:40:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772950
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 447
Total: 447

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Pregnant and looking for advice on mode of delivery...  (Read 8867 times)

Offline zelena

Pregnant and looking for advice on mode of delivery...
« on: October 14, 2007, 11:01:01 am »
I would like to hear from other "positive" moms on how they delivered their babies. I'm pregnant with my second child, which was planned, and while my first was a c-section now I have the option of a vaginal birth. My daughter is 26 months and negative she is the love my life, and a very healthy and happy child. Since the guidelines changed I really would love to try natural birth this time. I was ready to fight my doc about it but he surprised me by saying he is open to a "trial of labor". Still, even though I'm a very "positive" person and believe that my baby will be fine, I have a little doubt specially since my doc still hints that a c-section would be best.  Please let me know your story.

Offline Blessed1974

• Time waits for no one so don't dream life live it!
Re: Pregnant and looking for advice on mode of delivery...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 02:58:57 pm »
Hey Zelena,

I am very anti c-section and that's because I have a fear of being cut open, LOL  From my personal experience I don't understand the logic of having to have one either.  I have had 3 children since being positive and am now carrying my 4th.  I have a 13 year old and twins that are 9.  All my children are negative and all born by vaginal delivery.

Offline zelena

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 05:51:36 pm »
Thank you, thank you, thank you... that's what I needed to hear. The logic basically is that the longer they are exposed to either blood or vaginal fluid the higher the risk. But since my viral load is undetectable and the AZT he's going to take for 6 weeks I don't see the difference either. Actually, I went back to the pics my husband took when they took my daughter out with the c-section and she's covered with blood too. So, I think that as long as he has no cuts then how is the virus going to enter. Thank you again for your sharing your story.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 05:46:48 am »
Our own dear goderator Anne would probably be a wealth of information when it comes to this.  Anne, where are you? 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline HealthyMomma

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 03:13:47 pm »
I am glad you posted this question because it is something I have been thinking about also. I have a 20 month old who was born via c-section because my viral load wasn't undetectable. She is negative. I am planning on having another baby in a year or two and was wondering what to do since my viral load is now undetectable. I'm torn because I would like to try natural birth because its so much easier than a c-section but I kinda like the idea of a c-section because I already know what to expect and because then they can pump me full of AZT beforehand...I'm so torn... Having a baby is scary enough without having this damn disease! I wish you luck with whatever route you choose to go! ;)

Offline Blessed1974

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 05:53:08 pm »
Zelena, no thanks needed at all because I love to give info when I can :)

HealthyMomma, with each one of my deliveries they had an iv going the whole time I was in labor with AZT.  I had my girls during a time when they weren't requiring c-sections though.  Now they said I don't have to be undetectable but at least below 1000 to have a vaginal delivery.  As of my last labs I am undetectable so hopefully that won't be changing anytime soon  .  .  .

Offline zelena

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 11:26:38 pm »
HealthyMomma, just as Blessed1974 said once you get to the hospital you'll be given the AZT which needs to be given 3 hours before delivery. So, that should be plenty of time if you go to the hospital when you have your contractions I think about 10 min. apart. Ask your doctor to make sure, you don't want to be in the hospital too soon either. I basically came to the decision of having him naturally this time because of the new guidelines and because I believe it is better for him and for me. When babies go through the birth canal they get their lungs and intestines massaged/cleaned out so that they have less problems adjusting to their new life outside. Plus the with my c-section I did have some liquid accumulated among the layers of tissue they put together (the incision) and it hurt a lot to have it empty it since it had to be by cutting a little on the incision and then squeezing, and I had to do it myself!. So, I really don't want to go through that again.

Offline HealthyMomma

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 10:28:26 am »
I know they give you AZT while you are in labor but I dunno. I just worry about not getting enough meds in my system before the babies born. If a women has undetetable viral load but doesn't recieve meds during labor does the risk for baby get higher? My doctor is an hour and a half away so I worry about not getting enough meds in my system beforehand.

Offline zelena

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 11:18:55 am »
HealthyMomma, Hmm.. I don't know, I do suppose that yes the risk is higher. You can ask him if he can give you AZT so that you can start taking it from home. But hey, don't struggle over this. The most important thing is the health of your baby, so if a C-Section makes you feel more comfortable go with it. I thought about those things too but I'm about 15min from my hospital so that wouldn't be an issue (I hope). And I think the same way, if worst comes to worst I'll be happy with a repeat c-section.

Offline Blessed1974

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 07:44:50 pm »
Hey HealthyMomma,

I'd have to agree with Zelena that you'd want to check with your doc to be sure.  I am an hour away from not only my doctor but the hospital as well.  Since I'm close to my last trimester now and I'm high risk I'm going in for a checkup every 2 weeks and in the next month I'll start going every week.  Usually towards the end they start checking your cervix to make sure that labor isn't coming around the corner and if they do notice you're dilating being that far away they'll just keep you there.  I don't think you should have any concern about getting enough AZT as long as the pregnancy goes well.  Since you've had a child before you'll remember real contractions once they start and be able to get to the hospital in enough time.  They actually scheduled an induction date for me because I'm so far away but on the off chance that my Lil' man decides to make his grand entrance when he feels like, LOL, I should have at least a few hours even after the drive there.

Offline HealthyMomma

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 12:04:08 am »
Thanks ladies! You are really making me feel alot better about trying a natural birth instead of c-section. I guess I just worry that I will go into labor and not realize its the real thing. I had a scheduled c-section last time so no labor or anything! I worry alot can you tell?  :D

Give AZT to take at home? Like start taking the pill before I go into labor? Sorry, kinda confused.

Offline zelena

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 11:11:45 am »
I worry about the same thing. I'm going to be 38 weeks tomorrow last Friday I was already 2cm dilated and have been having contractions on and off this week (the braxton kind). Plus now my 2 yr old is sick so I'm a little stressed out. My mother doesn't get here until wed and I don't have any other family with me, I just have a couple of friends lined up to take care of my daughter in case I go into labor before my mom gets here.  With my daughter I had planned c-sec but I broke my water at 37 weeks and when I got to the hospital they said I was having contractions which I never felt. So, I know what you mean. This time I'm paying extreme attention to everything I feel which is good and bad.  :-\

Regarding my comment about the AZT, is just and idea I had, I don't know if it could be done. I'm going to ask my doc tomorrow and let you know what he tells me. Basically, what I think is that maybe you could start taking some pills as soon as contractions start and then they can continue at the hospital once you get there. But like I said, I don't know if its even an option.

Offline Nygurl225

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 12:00:59 am »
I myself am pregnant with my 4th child but this is my first child since testing pos. In fact, This baby is how I found out I was pos. I have been on Trizivir since about 20 weeks and am currently undetectable. My docotr gave me the option of a c-section and I declined. The plan for me is to be induced at 39 weeks. I will go into the hosp the night before I get induced and be started on AZT through an IV. They will then induce me in the morning. If i happen to go into labor before then no big deal, I'll just get AZT as soon as i get to the hosp.

The only reason they want to induce me is because my doctor says he wants to have as much control over the labor and delivery prosess as he can possibly have. There are a few things that need to be considered during a vaginal delivery though. The doctors will try to avoid all invasive procedures to keep the risk of transmission down. This means no internal monitors and def not rupturing the bag of water prematurly. If your water does break they prob won't let you labor for too long a period of time as the risk of transmission increases. All in all a vaginal birth can be very safe and from what my doc tells me risk of transmission is less then 2% via vaginal delivery and less then 1% via C-section.

I hope this information is helpful.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.