Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 06:20:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

  • Total Posts: 720870
  • Total Topics: 58469
  • Online Today: 342
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 241
Total: 247


Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

  • The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

  • All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

  • Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

  • We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

  • Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Moving to London from USA. Any advice on HIV care?  (Read 1951 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline lonbjny

  • Member
  • Posts: 28
Moving to London from USA. Any advice on HIV care?
« on: May 31, 2007, 11:16:18 PM »

Any advice from people? I am moving to London from New York this year. I am a UK citizen. I will be looking for an HIV clinic and doctor. I am not currently on medication. I have not lived in UK for 10 years and that was before I was diagnosed. I have little understanding of what state the NHS is in currently

I would appreciate any insight and advice on which clinics to attend, how to get the whole medical process started. Should I start by trying to find a GP or find an HIC  clinic first.

Any experience people can share would be of great help to me.

Thanks in advance to everybody

Offline Cliff

  • Member
  • Posts: 2,645
Re: Moving to London from USA. Any advice on HIV care?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 04:09:11 AM »
HIV treatment in the UK is delivered through specialist HIV centres (most attached to GUM clinics).  In London there are several of these centres all over town.  You can attend any clinic you wish (as opposed to the one closest to you, like when registering for a GP) and you don't need a referral.  You probably won't even need to show proof of residency (I didn't).  You just need to phone them up and set up a new patient appointment, (taking any documents you may have from your previous doctor in NYC).  I actually forgot to get my medical records, so the clinic (with my approval), contacted my doctor to get some information.  At that appointment, they will assign you a consultant and walk you through the specific protocols at that clinic for blood tests, appointments, etc.

I'll try to locate a list of clinics in London.

At the same time, you will also need to register with a GP.  This needs to be someone in your catchment area.  You can search for doctors here:


Your HIV clinic is unlikely to treat you for non-HIV related illnesses, so you can not simply rely on your HIV clinic for all you medical care...you will need a GP.  Also you will need to show proof of residency when registering with your GP (and apparently they will verify this again after 12 months for certain buroughs like Westminster).  Take a bill/utility (in your name and showing your address) and/or your rental lease agreement, as well as proof of your valid immigration status if you aren't a British citizen.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 04:11:56 AM by Cliff »

Offline keyite

  • Member
  • Posts: 514
Re: Moving to London from USA. Any advice on HIV care?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 05:24:34 AM »
There is an overview of clinics in London here: http://www.gmfa.org.uk/londonservices/clinics/ - not all of these also provide HIV care but at least the page gives a fair bit of info.

Quality does vary, in my experience, and I'd probably choose one of the Chelsea & Westminster clinics - http://www.chelwest.nhs.uk/services/hivgum/ or Mortimer Market or the Royal Free. I've also heard positive things about St Mary's.

Offline carousel

  • Member
  • Posts: 821
Re: Moving to London from USA. Any advice on HIV care?
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 06:23:24 AM »
I think a lot of it depends on personal preference.  I was seen at a clinic as part of the Chelsea and Westminster, but I found the appointments too inconvenient to fit around work.

There are number of clinics in London, so you can shop around if you are not satisfied.

Registering with a GP is important. There seems to be a concerted effort for them to take a bigger role in the treatment of non-HIV related matters.  But I prefer taking as much to the specialist because I can get free perscriptions.


Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2017 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.