Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 12:34:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773663
  • Total Topics: 66396
  • Online Today: 401
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 264
Total: 264

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Diagnosed in March, Treatment today.  (Read 3374 times)

Offline Hausofalex

Diagnosed in March, Treatment today.
« on: April 04, 2019, 02:32:43 pm »
Hi everyone. My name is Alex and I’m a 23 year old from Houston, Tx. On March 23rd I went to my local clinic. It had been about 6 months since my last test and figured it was kind of overdue after having had 4 different sexual partners within those 6 months. I was informed I was HIV positive, and honestly the first few days were the toughest. I’m sure everyone here knows what I’m talking about, but I felt like my world came crumbling down right in front of my own eyes, and the consequences to my actions had finally caught up to me. After sharing the news with my two roommates who are also my best friends, I spent the day in bed with them crying and talking about all the new changes that would be happening in my life, and informing not only them but also educating myself more on it. After reading a lot of stories on this website and getting past the stigma, I have realized I am now ready to talk about it and ask for some feedback on my case. Today I had my first doctor’s appointment and I am starting Biktarvy. My CD4 count is 337. Not too sure what the percentage means but it’s at 18.7% and VL at 31,000.
If anyone has any advice or recommendations on Biktarvy I’d love to hear more about it and thank y’all for the support. Reading this forum has really made me feel at much ease.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
Re: Diagnosed in March, Treatment today.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 03:47:33 pm »
Firstly, I'm sorry to read of your diagnosis, but it's good that you came to this site, a safe place where you will find peer support, enlightenment, and a sense of online community.

You will be fine, and, if you adhere to your soon-to-be prescribed antiretroviral regimen (Biktarvy), will live a long and healthy life.

Your CD4 numbers and percentage are fine, and soon after your begin your regimen, you will attain an undetectable viral load (which is where you want to be).

In the meantime, continue to peruse POZ and these forums for information as you continue on the road to health.

I'm sure some forum members will share experiences with Biktarvy.

If you have not already done so, check out this link:

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/newly-diagnosed

Please keep us informed of your progress.

Best wishes to you!

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline TexasDragon

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 09:54:27 pm »
Hausofalex -

Hello - glad you found us! So many great people here. I was dx in November and started Biktarvy in December - nothing to report but great results!

I’m just up the road from you in Austin.

Anyhow - you’re not alone and you will manage this.

Exposure 10-04-2018
Dx 11-08-2018
1st Appt 11-15-2018
11-15-2018 Blood Draw - CD4 468 11% VL 316,000
2nd Appt 12-04-2018 - Hep A and B Vaccines
Start of Biktarvy 12-14-2018
3rd Appt 01-15-2019 - All Good - 2nd Hep B Vaccine
01-16-2019 Blood Draw - CD4 934 28% VL 98
4th Appt 04-16-2019 - All Good - Final Hep B Vaccine
04-16-2019 Blood Draw - CD4 873 30% VL <20
01-13-2020 Blood Draw - CD4 1064 34% VL <20
09-29-2020 Blood Draw - CD4 972 32% VL <20
03-25-2021 Blood Draw - CD4 1168 38% VL = 26

Offline harleymc

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 10:00:06 pm »
I'm a very long termer, 23 when diagnosed and 57 now! Recently switched onto Biktarvy, finding it easy.

Offline geobee

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 02:17:01 pm »
Hey there HausOfAlex,

I'm on Biktarvy and I have to say it's been great.  I've got no side effects at all, the pill is small, once a day, easy-easy.

I'm sorry about your DX.    You're smart to get educated, get on this forum, etc.  I've had it for about 10 years now and, well, the only way I know I have it is that the test says so. I feel terrific, healthy, look the same, etc.

I'd recommend a pill container or a phone beep or something to help you remember to take it. 

Welcome to the forum. It's a great place and full of knowledgeable people.

Offline friendsfirst68

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 12:50:47 pm »
I was recently diagnosed after donating blood and getting told by Red Cross i was HIV pos. I started taking Biktarvy March 22. My numbers prior to meds CD4 was 321 and my viral count was 61,200. They needed to redraw for an additonal test 2 weeks in and they said my viral count had dropped to 778. I am looking forward to see how much lower by my next visit on May 7. Sorry for your dx but glad you are here to find out info to get better.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.