Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2024, 08:32:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773746
  • Total Topics: 66406
  • Online Today: 348
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 327
Total: 328

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sydney Mardi Gras 2010  (Read 3460 times)

Offline J220

Sydney Mardi Gras 2010
« on: November 13, 2010, 12:00:14 am »
Has anyone ever attended the Sydney Australia Mardi Gras? I may be in the area around that time and was wondering if it's as fun as it seems. Any feedback welcome, such as where to stay, what to do, any tips, etc. Thanks in advance!
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: Sydney Mardi Gras 2010
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 12:08:56 am »
I have never been to it myself but I know others who have, and they really enjoyed the whole experience, maybe one of the Aussie boys will call in an give you some information on it.

Hugs
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline J220

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 12:24:42 am »
Yeah I've been looking at youtube clips of lasts year's event and it certainly seems a blast.

The official site is  http://www.mardigras.org.au/ .

I'll be in traveling up and down the eastern coast so I guess I can spend a few days in sydney. Just gotta figure out which weekend would be best, as they have different activities. on different days, although the parade and party on the final weekend is probably what I should not miss?
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 08:26:43 am »
I attended 2004 with some friends and it was fun. I then took 2 weeks to tour round Sydney and Melbourne too. Since you are there and if you can spare the time and change, try to travel around Australia and not just attend the event alone to maximise your presence there. Not sure if the scale of the events in recent years has increased or been downsized. Check their website for more info and also to see who will be their VIP Celebrity for 2011. My year 2004 was the First Lady Of Song, Ms Dionne Warwick herself.   :)
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 08:55:30 am »
I would love to experience it at least once, samething with Burning Man Festival, New Year's Eve in Time Square, New Orleans on a Saturday night...

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 09:02:42 am »
New Year's Eve in Time Square

Never once in the 15 years that I lived there did I dare do that
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 04:19:22 pm »
I used to go to Mardi Gras quite a bit in the 1990s both the parade and the party afterwards. It started as a protest march in 1978 when sodomy was still a crime in NSW and that one ended with police beatings and the like.

It's struggled a bit through the last decade, the company that runs it keeps going broke.

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 04:21:15 pm »
I used to go to Mardi Gras quite a bit in the 1990s both the parade and the party afterwards.

I always knew you were a closet circuit party queen.  Were you doing G too?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 04:23:25 pm »
I always knew you were a closet circuit party queen.  Were you doing G too?

I knew several fellows called G. back then. I did them all.

MtD

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 04:46:54 pm »
I knew several fellows called G. back then. I did them all.

MtD

Hall of Fame Comeback.

Offline lost_boy

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 06:28:04 pm »
I went back in 2008, and it was pretty good fun. A little overwhelming to be honest, never been to clubs with so many damn people! Probably didn't enjoy it as much as I should have done as a) big clubs aren't really my thing, b) I don't do drugs and c) I'd been so drunk the week before and partying in SE Asia, I was knackered, haha!   ;D

But yeah, go visit as much of Australia as you can, it's a beautiful, huge country. Such good food too. Mmmm :)

Offline fearless

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 11:11:02 pm »
I did 17 in a row from 1988-2004, and was in the parade itself once in that period.

It has changed a lot over the years. Mardi Gras virgins still seem to enjoy it though and get a kick out of the event. The parade is free to watch, but the party itself will set you back about $150+.

If you do attend, a word of warning - you will be searched by sniffer dogs before you enter the party and there are police (and dogs?) inside the venue as well.

As lost boy noted, the clubs (what's left of them) are packed in week leading up to the party. That being said, it is really the only time of year that Oxford St could be said to be gay anymore. You'll see a certain side of Sydney at Mardi Gras, but very few Sydneysiders and certainly not the real Sydney. But, it can be fun.

I'm more than happy to give you advice on where to stay and what to do, but will need some more info about you and your plans. The 'east coast' is about 5-7,000 km long - where are you starting?, how long are you here?, what interests you? how much do you want to spend (in general, you will find Australia very expensive if you are from the US, with your $ the way it is you will find it incredibly expensive), will you be driving around? are you traveling alone or with friends?
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline fearless

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 05:59:03 pm »
and PS. As Matty noted in another thread - the drought. It broke.

My long range weather forecast for MG2011 - wet, wet, wet.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 06:04:11 pm »
and PS. As Matty noted in another thread - the drought. It broke.

My long range weather forecast for MG2011 - wet, wet, wet.

Fred's prayers are answered. Finally.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.