Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:10:55 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773565
  • Total Topics: 66387
  • Online Today: 159
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 149
Total: 149

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Smoking is bad for you.  (Read 7936 times)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Smoking is bad for you.
« on: December 07, 2020, 07:13:13 am »
Another study that smoking is bad for you.

Full writeup: https://www.poz.com/article/smoking-poses-clear-present-danger-people-hiv

In short:

A large, important study comparing closely matched groups of people with and without HIV over time has concluded that smoking is a potent independent risk factor for cancer in the HIV population

When the investigators then restricted their analysis to cover only the era that started when combination antiretroviral treatment became available in 1996, they found that the smoking-related cancer diagnosis rate was 50% higher among those with HIV compared with those who did not have the virus.

Among people with HIV, having a CD4 count below 200 and a viral load above 500 were each independently associated with a greater smoking-related cancer diagnosis rate.

The study authors concluded that 31% of the smoking-related cancers diagnosed among those with HIV, including 28% of those among men and 39% of those among women, were directly attributable to smoking.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: Smoking is bad for you.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 02:35:12 pm »

I've been advising or should I say suggesting to HIV positive people who smoke, that they should try everything within their power, to give up the cigarettes, for over 20 years.

Sadly, many of the LTS, (and smokers,) that I have known over the years have since past on. These are the one's that refused to quit.

I know the difficulty of quitting smoking. I was a 2 pack a day, at my peak, but haven't smoked in over 20 years. Best decision I made.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 02:37:33 pm »

I should also say, that the responses I received over the years, from those were anything from "Yes, I know I should really give it up." To "Mind your own business "

Sad.....

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 06:03:03 am »

I know the difficulty of quitting smoking. I was a 2 pack a day, at my peak, but haven't smoked in over 20 years. Best decision I made.

Ray

Yeah, Quitting smoking for me was one of the best things I did to start improving my health.

Still miss it though.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 11:47:50 am »
Yeah, Quitting smoking for me was one of the best things I did to start improving my health.

Still miss it though.

Yeah,... That " Missing it", will also pass in time as well. I can smell a cigarette in traffic, if someone in the car around me is smoking.  :)

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Delby

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 12:18:04 pm »
What do you think about smoking 1 or 2 spliffs a night? Yes I mix it with about a quarter of a cigarettes worth of tobacco, but that's it. So in 4 days, that's effectively one cigarette.

I smoke cannabis for my sleep and mood. It massively helps me and I only do it late at night. I hold a decent job and take care of my family.

My question is do you think the above will really harm me? I'm not asking whether smoking is bad. All types of smoking is no good, but given I'm not smoking much tobacco, does it really matter?

I often wonder whether these studies relate to serious smokers, of which I am not. What do you think?

PS Vapes don't work for me.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 12:37:23 pm »
Sounds like you answered your own question.

Look my view is smoking is bad, it's so bad even 2nd hand smoke kills.

I doubt anyone has ever published or found that inhaling smoke regardless of the type is good, just different levels of bad I would imagen.

Jim.

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/tobacco
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Delby

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 02:13:27 pm »
Thanks Jim.

I guess no one will ever know, but I cannot imagine that smoking 1 cigarette a day will lead to the cancers you have talked about. Yes it's not good for you, but I believe they are referring to serious and habitual smokers in the article. Perhaps 10plus a day.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 02:31:29 pm »
Yeah, maybe they all smoked 60 a day.

It does not really matter in the scheme of things, smoking and the link to cancer is well known. I did not mention the cancers or the % from this one study though, my only take away was a simple one.
Another study that smoking is bad for you.

This is just one paper, however, it adds to a countless collection at this stage showing smoking is bad for you. Second-hand smoke is bad for you, smoking less is still bad for you and smoking one a day is also bad for you. It overwhelmingly seems to be toxic to human health. 

There are studies indicating light or low levels of smoking increases cancer risks and cancer is only one issue, the one a day smokers need to consider heart disease, strokes etc.

https://www.bmj.com/content/360/bmj.j5855

https://www.nhs.uk/news/heart-and-lungs/just-one-cigarette-day-increases-heart-disease-and-stroke-risk/

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.109.904235
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 02:47:37 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 02:56:49 pm »

Yeah,... That " Missing it", will also pass in time as well. I can smell a cigarette in traffic, if someone in the car around me is smoking.  :)

Ray

:) I hope so because I still miss it when I smell it. Smoked from age 11 to 34, 2 pack a day habit from about 16.

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline fabio

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2020, 11:28:40 pm »
It's a good thing I never started it,although I had many instances of "peer pressure" and somebody saying I should try it (my brother),but I'm so glad I haven't.
I can already see the difference to my mom and brother who smoke quite a lot and also complain why they have to smoke outside 😂,that's how much of an anti smoker I am hehe.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2020, 12:56:44 am »
Aids forced me to quit. I've been smoking since I was a young boy, and then by the time I was in my mid 50's I would get dizzy when I smoked to the point that I felt I would pass out.. I knew something was wrong with my health but I thought it was just the smoking bc I'd felt ill whenever I took a drag.

The day I was diagnosed in the ER with pcp, and then aids, I stopped.. and the stay in the hospital helped wean me off of that addiction. After getting out and getting my health back a bit, I would sneak one now and then, but it wasn't enjoyable anymore. I would feel nauseous from the cigarette. So I gave it up completely without much effort at all.. I guess you could say I hit that nicotine rock bottom. I thought to myself that living with an Aids diagnoses was fucked up enough.. why add more misery.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2020, 01:16:46 am »

Offline Mindless

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2020, 05:08:23 am »
Smoked from my teens through my early thirtys, luckily quit out of concern from my asthma. I'm in my fifties now.

I never regretted it but some mornings I still get aroused by the aroma reaching out from the random smoker passing by on the sidewalk.
Dx Feb. 2018, CD 320, %14

- Atripla Feb/18 -->
- Complera (generic) 2019 -->
- Dovato (generic) 2021 -->

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2020, 05:38:25 pm »

I never regretted it but some mornings I still get aroused by the aroma reaching out from the random smoker passing by on the sidewalk.

This used to be the case for me but not anymore...
I do love the smell of kush though and do indulge occasionally🦋

Offline Lorenzopier

• 36 Years Poz via HAART & Micronutrient Technology.
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2020, 08:10:13 pm »
I agree smoking can be bad for your health in many respects. In the early days before I started HAART, I would get extreme nausea just from the second hand smoke of a cigarette from another room that had the door closed. Interestingly I found that when I took just one NAC supplement pill a day the nausea caused from second hand cigarette smoke would go away.

This is a link that I thought I would share as well.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/02/060224104219.htm
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 08:16:28 pm by Lorenzopier »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.