Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 06:26:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773733
  • Total Topics: 66406
  • Online Today: 364
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 278
Total: 279

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Newly Positive and medication advice  (Read 3632 times)

Offline Starfox

Newly Positive and medication advice
« on: July 18, 2016, 06:49:18 pm »
Hi there,

Ive just been diagnosed with HIV and I am coping better than most I would think after being diagnosed although I am very stressed. I can live with HIV, although I wont disclose it to people but what I would like to know is what kind of side effects do people get from the meds these days? I am really worried about this.

I am finding it hard to find info on med side effects with the latest treatment of today. And besides the side effects can i get hiv related infections even if i get my viral load is undetectable? This stuff stressed me out so much. I have always been so healthy and fit and active that the thought of losing that is to much.

So many questions I have. With hiv, providing I look after myself will I live a normal long healthy life or will i eventually succumb to something as I get older..?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Newly Positive and medication advice
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 07:19:25 pm »
Hi

Welcome to the forum.

So I am presuming you have not done a follow-up at the clinc yet, when do you have your appointment with the ID clinc?

Stop tying to find information on side effects, you don't even know what medication you will be taking, and with modern medication you should not be expecting any side effects, with perhaps some minor adjustment at first. You will be grand, trust me.  When you have your first clinc appointments they will do a few blood tests to check and do resistance testing before deciding what medication would suit. 

As for life expectancy well nobody has a crystal ball, however you should expect to have to plan for a retirement just like anyone else in life.  ;) https://www.poz.com/article/near-normal-life-expectancy-25378-9121

Take it easy and keep us posted.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 07:24:00 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Starfox

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 07:28:54 pm »
Hi

Welcome to the forum.

So I am presuming you have not done a follow-up at the clinc yet, when do you have your appointment with the ID clinc?

Stop tying to find information on side effects, you don't even know what medication you will be taking, and with modern medication you should not be expecting any side effects, with perhaps some minor adjustment at first. You will be grand, trust me.

As for life expectancy well nobody has a crystal ball, however you should expect to have to plan for a retirement just like anyone else in life.  ;) https://www.poz.com/article/near-normal-life-expectancy-25378-9121

Take it easy and keep us posted.

Jim

Sorry I guess ive allot of silly questions. I got blood taken a second time to confirm but im just waiting on that. But tbh with how I have been this past few months I am not surprised. Weight loss, night sweats, trush, bacterial infections or stomach bug that last 6 weeks, no energy... Im seeing transparent white blood cells on my eye lids where you can sometimes catch a floater.. All that and I got tested for just about everything else and they all came back clean so I dont hold much hope on this second test coming back negative, What is the chance? :/

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 07:36:25 pm »
Hi

So we do see false reactive results here from time to time.
Its normal to have questions, at first this will make you head spin, try not to overthink this too much.

Step 1 is to be diagnosed so until your status is confirmed I will ask you to post in this thread only, after that you will have more blood work done and the ID doc will discuss treatment options with you. In the meantime if you are feeling sick do see the GP.

Its normal to have questions so feel free to post them here, and take it easy, you will be fine.  ;)

Jim
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 07:58:27 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline zach

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 11:28:30 pm »
Hey, welcome, sorry you're going through this... but thats just the way it is... we've all been there.

I'm going to slice up your two posts and respond to portions. Here we go...

I am coping better than most I would think after being diagnosed although I am very stressed.

outstanding! glad to hear you're coping. of course it's stressful, hang in there, don't freak out.

I would like to know is what kind of side effects do people get from the meds these days? I am really worried about this.

I am finding it hard to find info on med side effects with the latest treatment of today.

Deal with those if you experience them. Don't build a boogey man to fear before you've even started meds. Side effects of modern generation meds are rare, mild, and usually only last a few weeks. Seriously, stop thinking about it.

can i get hiv related infections even if i get my viral load is undetectable?

no

This stuff stressed me out so much.

We understand that, we all remember being there. Best truth I can give you, your questions are really your fears voiced. They come from a place of ignorance and inexperience. You'll learn, and you'll experience first hand. Some of what we tell you, you won't really believe until you see and feel it for yourself.

I have always been so healthy and fit and active that the thought of losing that is to much.

You are the same person you were last month, and last year. You can still be fit, healthy, and active. You only lose what you don't use.

So many questions I have. With hiv, providing I look after myself will I live a normal long healthy life or will i eventually succumb to something as I get older..?

Everyone dies, but having this virus does put our own mortality in context. Without meds, eventually, we die of AIDS. With meds, we live long normal lives. Take your meds, you'll be fine.

Sorry I guess ive allot of silly questions.

It's cool, don't apologize for it. One day, in a few years, be the guy that answers questions. Pay it forward.

I got blood taken a second time to confirm but im just waiting on that.

Be patient.

clean so I dont hold much hope on this second test coming back negative, What is the chance? :/

Can't let you do that, Star Fox! I don't ever want to see you say clean in reference to status again. You aren't dirty.  >:( >:(

Get your confirmation. Until then don't even think about HIV. If you're positive, first numbers you'll want to know are your CD4 count and Viral Load count. That will let you know better where you stand, and how much of a fight you have ahead of you. Don't freak out whatever those numbers are. Don't let everything else overwhelm you. You're still able to type, you're going to be ok.

Don't Panic.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 11:36:33 pm by zach »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 03:10:27 pm »
@Starfox

How are you getting on ?

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.