Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 03:10:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773581
  • Total Topics: 66389
  • Online Today: 264
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 145
Total: 147

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Swollen tonsils and possible infection  (Read 4240 times)

Offline allitaly

• Standard
Swollen tonsils and possible infection
« on: April 18, 2014, 07:11:39 pm »
The episode I'm talking about happened some time again but I can't stop wondering about it and I'd like to hear an opinion since this forum and its admins seem very competent and trustworthy.

I am a young bisexual male and I had a sexual encounter with another guy during last summer. It seemed a normal guy at the time but afterwards it came to my attention that he might be considered an high risk individual (lots of sexual partners, most likely episodes of unprotected sex in which he was the receptive part). I'm not the one to judge, really, but I want to put things in prospective. Our encounter lasted about 30 minutes.

I kissed him deeply, and I cannot honestly remember the state of his mouth but it seemed normal. I licked and bit his nipples, not too strongly and I don't remember feeling blood in my mouth or seeing wounds on his nipples, I can't imagine having bit that hard but who knows. I fingered him with a couple of fingers for some time, and again I don't think I had any substanstial wounds on my hand, maybe some small cuts. We then mutually masturbated each other and he came on my hand at the end. There may have been some frothing during the encounter but nothing substantial.

After 7-10 days I developed a sore throat and then, after a couple more days, both my tonsils became swollen and the lymphnode near my left tonsil swell. I was on vacation (it was the beginning of June) and since I had not fever or a particular pain (I had dry throat mostly) I waited to return home, one week later (so I'd say three weeks from the encounter). I went to the doctor and he diagnosed me tonsillitis, at first he gave me a spray with some antibiotics agents (I don't know the specifics, it was a mild resort), but since in the first days i did not see results I asked for a "true" antibiotic and after a week of that the tonsillitis finally subsided. The lymphnode remained swollen for a long time though, it progressively returned to normal but very very slowly.

Now, I apologize for any spelling mistakes since english is not my first language and for the abundance of details in both the "erotic" and medical parts of my recollection. But I'd really like to know if I have something to worry about and if I should get tested. I know these activities are considered low risk but since the encountered involved a potentially high risk partner and I had symptoms in a timeframe that mostly corresponds with the one in which ARS symptoms present themselves I can't help but wonder. Thanks for any insight you may give on my situation.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Swollen tonsils and possible infection
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 07:31:26 pm »
Your English is very understandable and I read all your concerns carefully . HIV is sexually transmitted from unprotected anal and vaginal sex so you did not have a risk for HIV in ANY of the things you are concerned about . It would not matter if he did have HIV because you did not have a risk .

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Although you did not have a risk and do not need to test for this specific incident , anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline allitaly

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 08:52:52 pm »
Young gay male here. Unfortunately in the last year I had recurring tonsils issues, so much that my doctor and I are thinking about removing them. They are usually kind of swollen and I have noticed that if I touch my right tonsil with a tootbrush small traces of blood remain on it. In the same timeframe, I had a number of partner (not many...four) and, even if sparingly, I engaged in unprotected oral sex as a receptive partner with them (I was the one doing to sucking). I never let anyone came in my mouth. I know oral sex is considered low risk but I'd like to know if, considering my tonsils situation, I should more "careful" in practicing oral sex in the future, basically if my risk is higher considering I have "bad" tonsils. Thanks

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 09:05:46 pm »
Only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or subject matter . You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here .

The theoretical risk for oral transmission of HIV comes from giving a BJ to a man with a high HIV viral load while you have significant wounds in your mouth, even then its very rare . If you have open wounds in your mouth and oozing tonsils I would avoid oral sex out of an abundance of caution . Just be sure to have a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline allitaly

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 09:25:53 pm »
Sorry for the mistake, I was not sure what to do and I guess I did the wrong one  :(.
I guess I should even apologize for not answering the last advice you gave me, I was convinced to have posted a replay but apparently not. Thanks for both the answers!

The tonsils seem to leave small blood traces only when slowly brushed with a tootbrush, if I simply touch them this doesn't happen. And I have not seen any pus...they seem to be just a bit swollen and irritable. All things considered, should I be worried for past "transgressions" and get tested? I always engage in protected anal sex (and as the active partner), but as I mentioned in my last post sometimes during foreplay I practiced oral sex.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 09:34:36 pm »
There have been no fewer than three separate serodiscordant couples studies (where one person is HIV positive, the other negative.) These couples were tracked for three. five and ten years. The couples used condoms for penetrative vaginal and anal sex, but NO BARRIER at all for oral sex. Any kind of oral sex. These studies yielded NO infections.

Sexually only unprotected anal and vaginal sex has been shown to be a risk for HIV with oral sex only a concern if you have significant open wounds in your mouth or throat . I don’t really have much more to add to this than the advice I provided above .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.