Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:38:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773274
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 417
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 350
Total: 352

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Fatigue, again...  (Read 4604 times)

Offline koksi

Fatigue, again...
« on: August 16, 2007, 11:44:18 am »
I feel weak and tired most of the time these days, as I have for the last several months.  Fatigue tends to get me really down, because I don't feel that I have the energy to do the work that I enjoy doing, and then the down mood I think probably contributes to the fatigue.  It all kind of sucks, and my workload is about to increase exponentially at the beginning of September...  I have been waiting to get blood drawn to get new numbers at the end of August, but I now think that I should not wait that long.  Here is what I am experiencing:

--Tiredness in my limbs.  My limbs feel heavy, especially my forearms.  It feels like they are literally hard to lift up sometimes.

--Shortness of breath and/or 'heart weakness.'  This is hard to describe.  It isn't exactly shortness of breath, like I don't find myself panting exactly.  But I feel winded a lot.  More strange feeling is my heart:  sometimes I feel like my heart is weak or beating extra hard or something.  I can be doing nothing and this happens.  Like, I get this feeling just lying in bed.  Sometimes it feels like my heart is broken, like a sort of 'tightness' or 'emptiness' in my chest.  This is a very difficult thing to describe, but generally it just feels like cardio/lung weakness.

--A mild dry cough that comes and goes.  This has been happening for a few months, perhaps longer, not sure.  Sometimes I cough.  It is a dry cough and it doesn't feel severe exactly.  It's just like a few coughs, some chest tightness, and then it subsides.  I think I probably get this dry/tight/cough thing once a day, mostly in the evenings I think.

--Feverishness without fever.  Here is another kind of symptom that seems to defy description.  I get what I call 'fever patches' on my skin.  These are areas of the surface of my skin that feel painful and delicate to the touch, but there is no rash and nothing visible.  Back when I was negative, these occurred when I got sick.  During seroconversion, my entire back felt super sensitive to the touch (although there was no rash).  For the last few days, I have felt these 'fever patches' on both sides of my back. 

--Overall lack of energy and concomitant trouble focusing.  Actually, last week I got some good work done and was able to think.  But this week I feel useless and am having trouble concentrating.  When I wake up the first thought I usually have is, 'I can't wait to go back to bed' -- even when I am still in bed! 

I have been reading through some threads here about fatigue, like these (one of which is my own):
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=14302.0
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=13285.0

I don't know quite what I am asking here, but I guess I just would like to hear from others about symptoms or experiences of fatigue.  I guess I am trying to assess the whole question of medications... others have suggested that fatigue can diminish once meds start; alternately, the meds may themselves cause fatigue.  One friend suggested to me that with numbers like mine, he would definitely start medication.

Alternately, I have read some online materials regarding treatment for fatigue.  I would really appreciate hearing from others about their responses to different sorts of treatments available for fatigue.  Thanks.

seroconversion in March of 2006
positive test May 2006

10/2013: Undetectable, CD4 1000
2009:  Began Atripla

10/2007:  VL 2,300 // no CD4 numbers! :-(
09/2007:  Begin Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir
08/2007:  VL 824,000 // CD4 344 // 21%
06/2007:  VL 326,000 // CD4 351 // 17%
04/2007:  VL 410,000 // CD4 242 // 26%
06/2006:  VL 444,893 // CD4 479 // 21%
05/2006:  VL >500K    // CD4 402 // 17%

Offline bryonut

• I'm not just sure, I'm HIV positive!
Re: Fatigue, again...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 12:15:46 pm »
Hey K

I have been experiencing something very similar to you as of late. I am beginning to see an increase in fatigue over the last few weeks. I will be seeing my ID doc next week. Id be happy to share with you what she says. Have you spoken with your physician about it?

bry

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2007, 12:18:15 pm »
mine always wants to give me a b-12 shot.  which lasts about 30 mins.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2007, 12:31:43 pm »
My doctor prescribed me Adderall, the same thing I take for my ADD, it doesn't really work. 
I think I said this before, I believe that our bodies are fighting HIV 24 hours a day and that is the reason for the fatigue.

Rich

POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 12:33:07 pm »
My doctor prescribed me Adderall, the same thing I take for my ADD, it doesn't really work. 

Then can I have your Adderalls? 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline dixieman

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 01:46:47 pm »
mmmm I too generally seem to have fatigue... I've also get testosterone shots every 2 weeks... it seems to help... plus I exercise just to keep to body moving... I'm also taking a new substance... L-carnitine... I'll let you know how it works...

Offline JamieD

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 03:49:58 pm »
koksi-

My heart goes out to you.  :-* I feel the same way all the time (minus the cough and shortness of breath). That is actually why I went and got an HIV test in the first place. I had not been sexually active in a long time, so I had no reason to get one other then the extreme fatigue. It was absolutely the most debilatating fatigue ever. I was falling asleep while driving, falling asleep in class, and the same as you I would wake up and fantasise about going back to bed.
Since I have been on HAART the fatigue has gone down/improved quite a bit. My doctor recently put me on Lithium Citrate as an augmentation of my anti-depressant therapy and that has helped a lot with my fatigue as well. My infectious disease doctor told me that many people with HIV have a lot of over activity in the brain and CNS, which causes fatigue. The Lithium helps to protect against the excitotoxicty caused by HIV.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 04:05:36 pm »
Stress and depression can certainly cause a sense of fatigue.  It may also be physical. I am honestly leery of giving any advice myself on this matter as it could be so many possibilities ranging from needing a change of routine to medications

This is one of those issues that really needs to be discussed with a medical professional if possible.

Offline koksi

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 09:04:30 am »
Thanks to all.  I am convinced that my current fatigue (etc.) is related to viral load and so I have expedited my next set of tests and so should get numbers sooner rather than later.

One thing, Iggy, is that I really do think physical fatigue makes me sad and not so much the other way around.  It's like weakness in my limbs and chest ends up being a constant reminder of something that I might be able to more easily ignore or psychologically manage otherwise.

The most worrying thing right now is not really 'generalized malaise' but more like this specific feeling that my heart/lungs are weak.  I dunno what it could be and some days are worse than others in this regard.  We'll see!

I am going to see that new Matt Damon movie tonight.  Maybe that will prompt some excitement.

positive test May 2006

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2007, 09:15:42 am »
Kok, I think that's an excellent idea to kick up your next checkup. A fresh set of numbers may help to clarify things.

The BOURNE movie is definitely a high octane travelogue. Let us know if it makes a diff.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline ElGreco

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 10:23:05 am »
Hello Koksi,
With 326000 VL and 17%, it's natural to feel your system weak and exhausted. Hasn't your doctor insisted you to start on meds?

Offline mjmel

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 12:05:27 pm »
You certainly are not alone in feeling this fatigue, huh?
7 years battling fatigue and counting....(actually, it comes; it goes...)

Mike

Offline koksi

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 07:38:55 am »
The Bourne movie was fatiguing just to watch!  Great stuff, but a little manic.

As to starting meds, I just think the docs here are real slow.  Also, I am not sure just how long I will be here in Finland, so that relates to the delay in starting treatment.

As I said, I am gonna get some new numbers in a few weeks, and hopefully, as Andy comments, they will be clarifying.

Thanks to all for commenting.
positive test May 2006

Offline ElGreco

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007, 10:49:23 am »
I think that given the symptoms you described (fatigue, inflammation, etc...), your new blood test results would show that you should be starting medication soon. Your doctors might be "slow" to decide but surely they would see it too. I believe that you should have started back in June, but that's just my personal view.
Just by coincidence, I watched the 2nd Bourne film on tv yesterday night. So predictable and boring...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.