Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:36:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 378
Total: 378

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Omega 3 Multivitamin  (Read 10094 times)

Offline Jankar

• Me
Omega 3 Multivitamin
« on: November 28, 2006, 05:26:40 pm »
Someone mentioned in here about the Omega 3 multivitamin.

I googled the term and got some results.

http://www.lanelabs.com/products.asp?productID=OmegaMulti

Is THIS the one you are talking about?

By going to that link ,it said that Omega 3 is actually fatty acids.I read the whole thing about the "good" and "bad" fatty acids but doesnt this increase cholesterol?

And,do i ask it as an "Omega 3" multivitamin or is it one of the many vitamins in some supplements?(as i doubt this is imported in Greece)(they havent imported the Efavirenz 600 yet- http://www.stocrin-greece.com/ interesting article)

Thanks a lot in advance:-)

Giannis
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 05:32:40 pm by Jankar »
Nov06: CD4 696 33% V.L.:<40
Jul 06: CD4:849 31% V,L.:<40

On Combivir,Stocrin(efavirenz)

Offline Just John

Re: Omega 3 Multivitamin
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 07:10:20 pm »
Hi Giannis

Omega 3 is contained naturally in fish oils like tuna, sardine and salmon and also at lower levels in some nuts, seeds and green vegetables like spinach. If you eat these foods regularly you might not need to take omega 3 supplements and as your diet most likely already contains less "saturated fats", ie animal fats than most western diets then you already have a head start on many of the rest of us when it comes to looking after the heart and arteries.

To put things simply these fatty acids actually help to prevent cholestorol from sticking to the artery walls, they also have many other health benefits.

If you feel that you need to supplement your intake you might find that cod liver oil is easier to obtain if you're having problems getting it combined with a multivitamin.

Just to add to your information overload, or maybe clarify the confusion here's a couple of links to some useful information. Just please bear in mind that some of it might be biased towards the fish oil supplements.

http://www.bhf.org.uk/news/index.asp?secondlevel=241&thirdlevel=1835&artID=7948
http://www.clo3.com/home.php

Hope this helps, John.
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.

Offline Jankar

• Me
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 07:19:30 pm »
Thanks a lot John.!:-)

This really helped:-)

I will stick to my Meditterannean Diet then :-)

Because as stupid as this may sound......i wouldnt feel comfortable having to get one more pill every day even if that pill was a Vitamin..:-S

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 07:38:29 pm »
Hello ,

I am not familiar with the Omega/multivitamin. I take it separately. Here is some info from the nutrition section regarding Omega 3...

http://www.aidsmeds.com/lessons/NutritionFat.htm

Take care-----------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 07:42:49 pm »

And here is a link from the lessons section that you may find informative....In case you missed it :

http://www.aidsmeds.com/lessons/Lipids2.htm

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 08:47:01 pm »
By going to that link ,it said that Omega 3 is actually fatty acids.I read the whole thing about the "good" and "bad" fatty acids but doesnt this increase cholesterol?

This might interest you: Click here: "Hyperlipidemia and HIV"

Extracted from the above:
“Good fats” are also known as monounsaturated fatty acids, essential fatty acids, or omega-3 or omega-6 fatty acids. These essential fatty acids (EFAs) can help lower your cholesterol, triglycerides, and LDL. EFAs are found in fish, nuts (walnuts and almonds), and seeds (flaxseed). If you use fats in cooking, the two best types to use are canola oil and olive oil."

Edited to ask: Mods, can this be moved out of Off Topic? Thanks, Alex
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 09:04:51 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline fearless

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 09:46:12 pm »
Jankar,

If you are from Greece and eating a Mediterranean diet, you  are likely already taking ample amounts of omega 3's in your diet.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Jankar

• Me
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 03:18:09 am »
Thank you for all the replies guys:)

Really appreciated:-)))

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 07:28:19 am »
Hi Jankar, kalimera sas filimou,

My naturpath told me to take the omega 3-6-9.
Try to buy them from an organic brand.

Iassou

hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 07:38:34 am »
I had a half hour with my id's nutritionist who also promoted taking omega 3 in some form by those of us whose medications up the bad numbers.  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline Jankar

• Me
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 02:27:01 am »

Hey Hermie:-)

Just a tiny tiny comment:-)))))))

"Fili mou" is when you address to a woman hehehehehehe:-)))))

"Filos" is what you were looking for:-)))

Made me laugh by butt off:-))))

mwaaaah!:-)))

Giannis

Offline qrky

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2007, 02:50:50 am »
I think it's called something like Norwegian Cod Liver Oil, it's usually flavored, ya, it's disgusting, but five minutes with any naturopath and anyone would be choking down the two teaspoons a day.  Basically it gives some improvement to all functions across the board for those of us who don't live in Iceland.  Hardly a miracle drug -- but humans used to get a lot more of this stuff before McD's.  Go with lemon flavor (not vanilla, gack), find it at a Wild Oats or something like that, swig it a couple times a day, you will def see improvements, I've seen it in non-poz people so for us prolly much more significant.  Get the organic oil stuff, avoid the capsules cause the ones that work are the size of a lifeboat and you need to take five.

-doug

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 04:13:03 pm »
Giannis, you might want to talk with a nutritionist before  putting money into something you don't need. I take the omega 3 to control my cholesterol and it does the trick- why do you think you need this?

My naturpath told me to take the omega 3-6-9.
Try to buy them from an organic brand.

Iassou

hermie
Hermie from the way it was explained to me the American diet is too rich in omega 6 which is known to cause inflammation of tissues.  I had posted this on another thread awhile back.  So I wouldn't advise getting the 3-6-9

Lack of omega-6 fatty acids, however, is extremely rare in diets of those living in certain Western countries, particularly the United States, as well as Israel. In fact, North American and Israeli diets tend to have too much omega-6, particularly in relation to omega-3 fatty acids. This imbalance contributes to long-term diseases such as heart disease, cancer, asthma, arthritis, and depression.

Check this out  and ask your nutritionist what they think:
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsLookups/Supplements.html#letO
and the original post
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=3210.0

Johnny
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 07:41:39 pm by alisenjafi »
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.