Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:13:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 375
Total: 375

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: scared and alone  (Read 5543 times)

Offline lawless64

scared and alone
« on: September 10, 2007, 06:05:46 pm »
Hi,
 I was diagnosed as positive on Thursday Sept 6, 2007. I went to the doctor for a routine followup for diabetes. A month or so prior I had labwork drawn for a life insurance policy. I received the rejection notice from the insurance company without a reason other than due to recent results and application history.  I go to the doctor to discuss the results because I requested a copy to be sent to her office and my home ( I still haven't received my copy from the company). I'm assuming it is related to my diabetes and she informs me I'm HIV +. It was truly the last thought on my mind. I haven't had sex since 2005. I'm really scared. I've tried to be proactive and research the web and I found a local counseling center for support. I told my sister and brother but I haven't told my Mom and I don't know how. I'm in a city without any immediate family and at this point I'm not ready to tell any of my friends. For the most part, I feel as if I'm adjusting okay but it hasn't been a week yet. I return to my doctor on the 20th when I'll learn more about my status, counts and whether meds are needed yet. I'm thankful I found this site. It doesn't seem quite as lonely.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
Re: scared and alone
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 07:26:05 pm »
Lawless~~

Welcome to the Forums. Sorry that you had to come here but there are great people here and a great line of support. This place has helped me keep my sanity, trust me. What a horrible way to find out but I guess they wanted you to see a doctor? I don't know how insurance companies work unfortunately. For finding out so recently, I think you are being very proactive and that is great. Don't stop being that way. There are a few of us here that are diabetic, including myself and we often discuss things concerning diabetes. Keep us updated and would love to hear more from you...
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 07:41:10 pm »
Hey Lawless-
  Welcome to the forums!  These are a really great bunch of people.  Like Queen said, they have often helped me keep my sanity also.  I hope you use us for support, questions, anything we can help with.  You're not alone!  We're here!  Hope to hear more from ya.
Peace-
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 07:46:09 pm »
Hi Lawless~  Welcome to the Forums!  So far, us first 3 ladies that have posted are all diabetic.  I am on an insulin pump here, and have been on insulin since 1981.

I agree with Queen and Betty, this is a great support network here.  Be sure to read our dating threads.  We're up to to Part V, but have a feeling that VI will be starting soon.  Think of the dating threads more as journals where you can tell us what you are doing, thinking, feeling.  We have all bitched and moaned PLENTY in here and its a great stress reliever!  I have only been here since June and this is my HOME.  We ALL feel at HOME here!

Hope to see you here again soon, and hang in there, ok?

~Cindy
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline lawless64

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 10:08:24 pm »
thanks to all of you for the encouragement.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 11:07:42 pm »
LL

Your level-headedness is admirable. Yes, I know you wrote you're scared, but everything else reflects a very stable, analytical approach. Your research brought you here where there's resources galore.

Hang tight and tough and ...hang here whenever you have questions or need something in the form of a laugh, a shoulder, etc.

Em

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 09:52:43 am »
Hi,
 I was diagnosed as positive on Thursday Sept 6, 2007. I went to the doctor for a routine followup for diabetes. A month or so prior I had labwork drawn for a life insurance policy. I received the rejection notice from the insurance company without a reason other than due to recent results and application history.  I go to the doctor to discuss the results because I requested a copy to be sent to her office and my home ( I still haven't received my copy from the company). I'm assuming it is related to my diabetes and she informs me I'm HIV +. It was truly the last thought on my mind. I haven't had sex since 2005. I'm really scared. I've tried to be proactive and research the web and I found a local counseling center for support. I told my sister and brother but I haven't told my Mom and I don't know how. I'm in a city without any immediate family and at this point I'm not ready to tell any of my friends. For the most part, I feel as if I'm adjusting okay but it hasn't been a week yet. I return to my doctor on the 20th when I'll learn more about my status, counts and whether meds are needed yet. I'm thankful I found this site. It doesn't seem quite as lonely.
                                                                                        Hello LL. sorry you have to be here but glad you found us. what a shock. There are a lot of really great people here(male and female) and a lot of really great info as well. We ladies have a dating thread, as ML said, but it covers a wide range of things. Feel free to jump in whenever.  Cristy

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.