Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:04:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 228
Total: 229

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: AIDS March on Washington  (Read 70154 times)

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
AIDS March on Washington
« on: January 29, 2007, 03:34:21 pm »
   I have had this idea floating around in my head for several months now. It has consumed my daydream moments, as well as my ability to concentrate on other things.

Given the fact that the 2008 presidential election year is coming up soon, we must be vigilant that our votes are important, and our collective needs are ever increasing. At the time of this writing, there are roughly 25 million people diagnosed, and an unprecedented number of new infections growing by leaps, and bounds.
We finally have presidential candidates willing to say the words 'HIV AIDS' without choking, and we need to be heard.

We all drew a collective sigh that Ryan White funding was approved again this year, and we had to be grateful that there were no cuts, but we also know that the truth is, it has been flat funded for years now, despite our ever increasing population.

I think it is imperative that we hold a march on Washington in 2008. As many of us as can get there, by whatever means necessary. AIDS is not going away, and it has been relegated to the back burner by our current government, who believe that you just need to not have sex, and you will be OK. Does that make you want to scream to the rafters? It does me. Our kids are being fed bullpoo, or nothing at all. We are constantly being forced to look at the hideous plight of the peoples of Africa, and I appreciate their need, but why must it be at the expense of our own people.
People right here in these very forums!

If we could acheive a near million people(aka millionAIDSmarch), we could then utilize this very fact that what is represented here is but a miniscule number, in comparison to the known/diagnosed people here in the good old U.S. of A.
Aids is not a druggie's disease, it is not a gay disease, it is not a simple thing to address, or treat. It is a devastating disease that is different for each individual, because of the ability of the virus to mutate.

We need public awareness! I have seen old black and white filmstrips(before the word infomercial was invented)that were made in the 1940's, that stated clearly what Syphillis, and Gonorrhea were, how to prevent them(condoms), and how to get treatment. These were not only shown to every GI before going off to serve, they were shown to the folks back home, as a service to minimize the damage that Syph. could do long term. The women and children were informed right along side of the GI's.

Why have we gone backwards? Why in the 21st century have we taken a step back in time to before what has been widely popularized as our 'age of innocence'? Here we are 60 years later, and our government has it's collective head up it's ass, instead of encouraging a widely public message about the FACTS of this pandemic. How hard could it be to give attention to the disease that is decimating our population?

Men, women, children, mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, sisters, brothers, cousins, are all being affected, and infected without our leaders (I said LEADERS) being candid about this real threat to our existence as a nation. If we continue in this vein, we will have no need for national defense, because our nation will die off, just like the dinosaurs, or the neanderthals.
Do you realize we are approaching numbers globally that will soon compete with the numbers of deaths from the bubonic plague?

I will admit that I have no earthly idea how to go about this plan, as my brain is firing on less than 6 cylinders, as this virus has claimed many brain cells.
I had no idea of pulling AIDSMEDS per-se into this, but wanted to start something unique and different. I talked with a man who has been a firey activist, as well as, a most competent web-site builder. I respect his thought process, and his first advice was to file for a 501c3(non-profit org.), then construct a website to handle message boards for rides to connect, and communication between folks.
   I have spent the day researching how to file the necessary 501c3. First of all, it takes five hundred dollars to have your application accepted, and reviewed. I don't have that. Second of all, a 501c3 is for people who are starting a businessof some sort, and this in no way could be construed as a business.

I want this to be a call to all of the HIV/AIDS peoples across the USA. I am open to suggestions, and I am aware that there are practical considerations ie; porta-potties for the masses etc. but there is over a year for the planning process.
I asked Mr. Staley for pointers regarding permits and things given his dedication to activism in the early years. I also queried Mr. Velez for ideas, as well as, people to contact etc. Both were most helpful, and most gracious in their replies.

There are many details to be hammered out, but the primary focus now is getting the word out nationwide. I am so grateful to have this generous venue in which to place this entire subject.
Peter, Tim, and Andy, have provided the fore-vision, and I now have the opportunity to appeal to members across the nation, as well as our international members who will support us without hesitation.

I envision this to be a peaceful march that will firstly be a representation of our growing numbers, and the additional(Ryan White) funding necessary to encompass the new cases. The absolute need for increased pharmacological funding for R&D of treatment drugs, a national plan for education of the masses so that we are no longer treated like less than human because we possess a viral protein that is difficult to pin down and treat. It is time that we seriously consider a universal health care initiative that will undoubtedly be funded by increased taxes, but we the people need to stipulate that these/certain taxes are for this purpose only, and not tagged by/as pork money.

As Mr Velez eloquently pointed out that summers in DC can be downright life-threatening for our population due to the heat, it is wise that we consider either the spring, or fall for this march. One of the many reasons I hesitated to present this to the forums in general had to do with asking people to do a political thing, when many will be anticipating attendance of an AMG. To date, they have been held in the fall of the year, and I would not presume to detract from this wondrous event, so I have been battling with my convictions. I feel that coming together in the spring, would be too far away from the election to be of importance. I feel a sincere duty to my fellow forum members to not ask this huge political statement to be concurrent, or in conflagration of the AMG.
I am fully aware that the AMG is a special event that many spend their vacation time for, and I would never wish to detract from this, because I completely understand the importance of the fellowship of this singular event. By the same token, I would like to impress upon our own community the importance of our collective minds for the government/country we envision.

Through these forums, I have met a person who is most adept at constructing a website for this singular purpose, as I am so technologically challenged, but will help out of the goodness of his conviction. I know of another person who will help with some of the other operations of this site, but it is simply a grass roots effort. The website man looked while we were talking, and found that millionaidsmarch was not taken. I hope that this can be a place where ride info can be exchanged.
I figure, that if a bunch of teenagers can text each other and quickly construct flash mobs, then we can construct something of meaning in the year with advance notice.

Though I am posting this today, my friend will need a couple of weeks(as he does have a business to run) to construct a site we can use. I just want to get feedback from my fellow members here. This is important. This is our future, and the future of those who will undoubtedly follow us.

Please respond with feedback, and/or opinions of value.

It simply is time!

« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 08:24:30 pm by Lisa »
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
Re: AIDS March on Washington
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 07:17:03 pm »
Well one idea would be to coordinate this with other organizations who'd have a vested interest in this. Additionally if it is possible to get the Names Project on board with something like this for another mass display like they used to do in the Park that would be a powerful statement. I'm not sure what the logistics of such an endeavour are.

For what it's worth, I do think that you are on to a great idea!

Anyway, that's my two cents at this point.
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline Lisa

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 08:42:31 pm »
Yes Marc,
I have compiling a list, but my first thought is to write a letter to POZ, stating my objective, and asking if they can be of assistance.

Of course, my first love will always be aidsmeds. I would have lost my religion, and my sanity long ago, but for the people I love here.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 08:47:33 pm »
Dear Lisa,

You have been reading my mind...I will do whatever I can to help. Times awastin'!!!

Hal

Offline Lisa

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 09:25:40 pm »
Dear Hal,
I am less than feebly able to take acount of the multitude of folk I would wish to send this message to, but I strongly advise that we look to the Big and Little of being Out Therebecause it will begin when you go public.
I have been giving my personal demographic information to any and all for over a year without ill reprisal, not that I would normally.

We need to seriously band together in this day, and age.

I am so into this whole idea. I think we need to be heard for so many reasons.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 11:13:17 pm by Lisa »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 02:47:43 am »
For someone not "firing on all six cylinders", that sounds like one hell of an idea you've got going! 

Be it known that I am friends with several people that work for the NAMES Project (The Quilt) here in Atlanta.  In fact, I know a woman named Gertie that maintains The Quilt, handstitching the frayed ends of each individual piece in storage as they need it.  I was once ''spooled'' by her for volunteer help I gave at the AIDS Walk in Atlanta about three years ago.  ("Spooling" is being given a sort of nadge of honor for service in the name of The Quilt, just fyi.)  As this moves along, let me know what I can do to help.  Peter, Andy, Lisa...all of you who want to be involved...you know how to reach me.

Tim Hunter

Edited to Say:  How karmic that Lisa just now popped back online!  Intense....LOL
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Lisa

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 03:16:33 am »
Thanks Tim. I haven't been online as much because my friend came to stay with me for a bit. He had complete access to my computer.
I was here, and in and out.

I just want to get the word out early.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 03:28:40 am »
That's cool. Just wanted you to know that I could help somehow or another. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Val

• Praxitèles -- Satyre au repos
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 04:54:29 am »
Lisa,
I'll be your European ally for whatever  needs being done on this side of the pond.  Congratulations for the awesome idea, hon!
And, yes, I'd be there!

Val
___
___
Arthus Bertrand
http://www.yannarthusbertrand.com/yann2/affichage.php?reference=TVDC%20YABFR084&pais=France
Ali Mahdavi
http://asyoudesireme.online.fr/index.htm
Richard de Chazal
http://www.richarddechazal.com/
Daniel Nassoy
http://www.danielnassoy.com/pages/galeries_portraits_2.html
Photography:
The word comes from the Greek words φως phos ("light"), and γραφίς graphis ("stylus", "paintbrush") or γραφή graphê, together meaning "drawing with light" or "representation by means of lines".

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 05:19:01 am »
Hi Lisa

If there is anything I can do over this side of the world..please don't hesitate in letting me know...anything for a lady who has a heart as big as Australia/NZ.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 05:19:30 am »
Lisa,
You idea is a bold one, and it needs to happen. We are far to complacent in this country. The silence is deafening, you might say.

I would be honored to be part of something like this. So keep thinking, and i will do the same. I will start talking to people I know here in Arizona.

I'll let you know what ideas come forward.

Jeff
Positive since 1985

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 11:58:38 am »

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 03:14:01 pm »
Lisa, count me in! What a great IDEA...Funny...the AD for "Does HIV Look Like Me?" is on this page right now...imagine all the people and imagine what kind of impact will have with all the people converging on the capitol! I love it!!

You go GRRRL!!!

I will PM you my contact info!

J
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 05:19:07 pm »
We should "INFECT" Washington.  Bring our masses like a huge Viral Load.  This is a great idea.

Washington DC HIV INFECTION Tour 2007!!!

Are you infectious? 

Catch the infection! 

Just thinking outloud how to make it Press Releasable and News grabbing!  Has to be catchy.  Million Man March had alliteration going for it.  If you want it to stick it has to be like BANG all up in your face.  But hey, thats just how I roll!!!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 05:23:43 pm »
Tim leaves his chair in the shadows and steps forward to say thank you my dear for loosing your mind......

I want to be perfectly clear here and make sure you understand that with this post, Tim took $100 out of savings and placed it in his Washington D.C. "MILLION-AIDS-MARCH" savings account.  I will not only stand beside you on this one, I will volunteer to do whatever might be needed.

First off.

1.  You will need the 501c (3) status but that is not terribly difficult as we can "Umbrella" under another HIV organization's nonprofit status with a simple "Memorandum of Understanding" between the board of Million-AIDS-March, MAM, and the board of the already created nonprofit that we will partner with.  Yes dear, you have the burn and you have the conviction,,,,,, and,,,,, you have the heart and I now elect you; Lisa; as Chair of the Board.

2.  This cannot happen if you are not already a "Nonprofit Corporation" which does not require a 501 c (3) status, but only a board of directors and a Mission Statement.  Little else is required and when that paperwork is done, then you go ahead with the Memorandum of Understanding with another organization and Presto, you are now done and the work can begin in earnest.

3.   Make sure that you have all your ducks in a row, and then the fundraising can begin.  I don't think for this, that raising money will be that difficult, but I would suggest that if we accept any donations from any corporations that there be NO strings attached.  I know that the Drug Companies might be interested in donating as the mere sight of a million survivors on the D.C. Mall would really be "World News".

4.   Some of the things that need to be sought out are suppliers of complimentary water, wheel chairs, sunscreen, blankets (for those in physical shock), pushers for wheel chairs, loads of "clean" food, medical staff and much more that will become apparent as we move forward.  In any case, many will want to be a part of this on a commercial level, so we need to get our needs lists created soon.

5.   My prayers are going to be with you today and from here forward and I will commit to help in any way possible.

In Love and total Support.
Tim.

P.S.  I think that there are 25 million infections world wide, and the figure for the United States is more like 1,400,000.  Either way, the numbers are currently astounding and we will make an impact no matter how many can show up to the party.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Lisa

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 06:10:57 pm »
Your expertise will be greatly appreciated Timmy my love. Right now my head is spinning with all of the practical considerations.
I will need a great deal of help, and am so delighted that you have all been so supportive of this idea.
Bless each and every one of you!
Guess I need to address the umbrella idea first, as the one thing I left out of the original post was that there are currently 7,000 501c3 applications on file, and backlogged, awaiting decisions.
I am totally unsure of how to address fundraising.
I'm gonna need a LOT of help!
Here we go gang.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 07:04:35 pm »
Lisa, I'm glad you're moving forward with this idea which you discussed with me a while ago.

ACT UP is currently planning to commemorate its 20th Anniversary in March with a demonstration here in NYC, (and hopefully across the country with other chapters and concerned organizations join in), with a demand for universal health care.

That was recently chosen as the theme for the demonstration because it was felt that although our most immediate concern is about HIV/AIDS, the problems related to getting proper funding and other problems related to HIV/AIDS are tied in with the overall failure of our health system in this country.

So it was felt that OUR problem is a shared one with all our fellow Americans. As a part of this demonstration there will be elements directed at pharmas, health insurance companies, Wall Street and government, each of which play a part in why our health system needs to be changed. Totally changed. And not just in pieces namby pamby dragging along with sops to individual groups.

HIV/AIDS activists hope to engage unions and other health-concerned groups among others to join in our demand for an end to this broken system. This would end the competition amongst those in need and turn the focus on to the source of the problem. During the coming months every Presidential candidate is going to be held to account and expected to support this demand or be put on the spot making their refusal to do so clear to the public. 

A kind of piecemeal approach to dealing with the problem as has been suggested by some including Hillary Clinton,  in which x millions of children not presently covered would have healthcare is not acceptable. It's not enough. And it's a mistake to settle for less than the whole thing. The problem has to be addressed with much more courage and imagination. It has finally become a problem so large for so many Americans that we think this change -- this revolution in healthcare if you will -- can be accomplished.

In the coming weeks you're going to be hearing more about this. The ACT UP action is scheduled for March 27th.

We don't want more thin gruel. We want a whole fresh friggin' pie of health care for all.

If things go as we hope and plan, the march you have in mind can be a march for all Americans to get behind supporting universal health care in this country. The United States is alone among major countries in the world in being without this kind of health coverage for its citizens. Until now South Africa was the only other major country which didn't over such coverage. Now South Africa has such coverage.

So we're shamefully standing alone in our government's refusal to provide proper healthcare for all. it's a deadly collusion of insurance companies and pharma greed and government cupidity, indifference and inefficiency, and its indebtedness to insurance companies, pharmas and other lobbies which is blocking proper healthcare for all of us. Those of us living with HIV/AIDS should not be fighting other Americans for what we need.

We need to focus on the real cancer in the system and change the whole damn system.
This is the time for us to get what we need not just for ourselves but for everyone.

I'm wishing you well with your plans, Lisa. And I hope it will become a part of a groundswell which will change healthcare for everyone here. Only by daring to reach for and work for the seemingly impossible can such a change actually come about.

This not a time to be "sensible."

The chants we used to do twenty years ago at demos ares truer than ever today:

WE'RE FIGHTING FOR YOUR LIVES TOO!

HEALTHCARE IS A RIGHT!  HEALTHCARE IS A RIGHT! HEALTHCARE IS A RIGHT!

« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 07:10:28 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 07:52:56 pm »
LOL  ACinKC's post made my head start strumming with more slogans....

Make Change Infectious. 

Inspire Raw Activism.

Breed Hope.

(Just brainstorming....)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Lisa

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 08:03:39 pm »
Damned if I didn't almost come out of my seat and start chanting with you friend!
I still say, it just simply is time!
Thank you Andy. I hope I can count on you for counsel, as I haven't the foggiest clue what I'm doing. I just feel we need to stand up and be recognized.
WE need an inclusive health care initiative.
We need to make plans to really educate our kids about the truth of protecting themselves. We need the country to become educated about this disease, and the long range damage that will occur unless, or until, we all understand the implications of this pandemic on our population. Pharma needs to understand that it is wholly a betrayal to gouge the very population they are producing for.
See? Now I'm all on a rant again.

HEALTHCARE IS A RIGHT!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 08:21:38 pm »
Addressing the specific issue of infection prevention education is #2 on the ACT UP Hit Parade. The plan now is to have an action related to that within days of the March 27th action. Stay tuned for more info about.

Actually it's not so much a matter of educating pharmas and insurance companies as it is taking the power of decision away from them. They are by definition not educateable. Their goals are different than ours. Someone at the meetings has been promoting the slogan, "Kill insurance companies before they kill us." I don't like the use of the word "kill." ACT UP has always been confrontational without being violent so I don't want "kill" in there. But you get the idea of how strong feelings are about this and the idea is to make clear we're not going for any halfway measures about this.

Everything you need to know you'll learn as you go along, Lisa. And you will have help from others. That's how I have always found it to be. If you try something and it doesn't work you try something else. And anything non-violent is ok.

If everyone starts talking this up wherever they go and with everyone from ASOs to medical people to whomever, it will grow. It will grow and GROW. 

A side benefit of getting involved in this stuff is great for your T-cells.  Really.

xxxxxx 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 08:27:35 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Jody

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 09:40:18 pm »
Dear Lisa and all...Great idea Lisa with the presidential elections next November...Next Spring would be good but September or October, with still nice weather in Washington and so close to Election Day would probably carry the most clout...Count me in.  Let's talk !!!

Andy- you have been there with Peter, Tim, Sean Strub, Michael Petrelis and so many other men AND women at the forefront (as outlined in New York's Gay City News (Jan 18-24, 2007) for those online it is www.gaycitynews.com and much thanks for all your efforts over the years that continue...I see March 27th is mentioned...I know it is on a Tuesday- is that advantageous over a Saturday or Sunday? - Either way I have it circled on my calendar to participate and hopefully you will let us all know the starting time and starting point that day and what we may do (or bring).

Rock on all.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2007, 07:26:19 am »
The date is March 29th, Jody. A Thursday. That way it can be in the media and press on Thursday night and Friday am.

Actions are rarely planned for a Friday because Saturday is considered a dead day for media coverage. We learned through experience about that and didn't and don't call ourselves "media sluts" for nothing.
Andy Velez

Offline AIDS2HIV

• www.aids2hiv.com
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2007, 11:19:20 am »
good luck, personally i think a protest at the capitol is gonna get the same results, no matter who it is, as its gotten any other time there was a protest. They will say something to everyone to pacify you, and in a couple days, when you are back at home and off thier streets, its right back to business as usual. Protests only prove one thing, the effort everyone is willing to put forth, is to make signs, and bitch about things....honestly, what makes you think they will look at this any different than they look at illegal imigration, racial protests, etc?

Its like Act Up, dont get me wrong, they got some attention on meds issues back in the 80's when they needed it, but thats where it stopped. The politicians pacified the complainers, the complainers, felt they had done enough. marching on capitol hill wont accomplish much good, you are addressing the wrong people...its society worldwide, that you must address when it comes to HIV.

good luck*
Its the future of Hiv Education, and Resources www.aids2hiv.com      Got Community?

Offline Lisa

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2007, 12:54:21 pm »
I say ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC,CNN, and C-SPAN are a good start! Especially at a time when the pundits are trying the hardest to pretend they care.
It's all still getting the word out, and hopefully we can engender a national dialogue at the very least.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2007, 01:14:23 pm »
good luck, personally i think a protest at the capitol is gonna get the same results, no matter who it is, as its gotten any other time there was a protest. They will say something to everyone to pacify you, and in a couple days, when you are back at home and off thier streets, its right back to business as usual. Protests only prove one thing, the effort everyone is willing to put forth, is to make signs, and bitch about things....honestly, what makes you think they will look at this any different than they look at illegal imigration, racial protests, etc?

Its like Act Up, dont get me wrong, they got some attention on meds issues back in the 80's when they needed it, but thats where it stopped. The politicians pacified the complainers, the complainers, felt they had done enough. marching on capitol hill wont accomplish much good, you are addressing the wrong people...its society worldwide, that you must address when it comes to HIV.

good luck*

Do I really need to point out such obvious things here?  Hello?  Marching on Washington (and similar activities) brings media attention which....(Note the dots here- they are meant to represent a mental connection for you).....brings the issue before society at large once again

And thank God for those complainers that are mentioned.  I'm about to swallow what little slice of physical salvation I may have available to me because of their willingness to ''make signs and bitch about things''.  It is admitted that ACT UP ''got some attention on meds back in the 80's when they needed it''.  So what makes it seem so certain our efforts won't garner any results now?  And if any action that results from this protest "stops'' after a time...well, guess what?  We may take up the call yet again...and again...and again...(more mental connection dots here).

Since some seem so ready to dismiss this endeavor as having any meaningful benefit, it begs the question:  So what is the alternate suggestion?  Addressing society worldwide how?  What plan B is in mind when this idea is being dismissed?

I'm all ears.  Go.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 01:16:00 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2007, 01:29:15 pm »
WOW I normally dont get too fired up about this stuff but damn Thunter!  HERE HERE!

Still think a catchy slogan is in order.  But thats the sales/creative side in me screaming out!

HIV doesnt kill people, Red tape does!  (although i dont like how it downplays the disease at the same time the STIGMA is that it kills you so it may play well in the public eye)

hmmmmmmmmmm im still thinking.
RIDE!!!

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2007, 01:39:18 pm »
Yeah!  And maybe it's time to say this:

Perhaps it's time for this to become THE hot forum on here.  I can't thank Lisa enough for this. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Lisa

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2007, 01:43:35 pm »
Now dats what i'm talkin bout!!!!
We go back again, and again, and again, until our 'leaders' get the message that we aren't playing anymore.
I only just began to plumb the depths of "How to Demonstrate Peacefully" at the ACTUP site this morning at the crack of dawn( or...before the crows peed, as we call it in the south), but I didn't need to read lessons on how to do this, I was witness to the non-stop protests that occured in our Capitol during the late sixties, and early seventies. I got practical lessons during the riots that happened in Detroit just up the street from me.

You simply do it until.

If what you have been doing isn't working, then it is time to consider doing something else!
Like Andy said earlier, we aren't just doing it for us, we want it for everyone!

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2007, 04:23:12 pm »
Yes, and let me clarify my above statement about "I can't thank Lisa enough for this", if I may.

There has been a great deal of grumbling on these forums about how they "just aren't like they used to be" and how some of us in the ''social set of members'' are more interested in discussing, well...all things penis.  Porn, dating issues and the like.  I have maintained that I find validity in those issues in and of themselves because they are a part of the very real ''living'' side of HIV / AIDS.  And just being able to socialize with others who understand where one is coming from in life is a support in and of itself...for all things from alpacas to Atripla. 

But I have bristled quite a bit about the distinction between the old war horses and us younger folks here...and especially about how some of us are seen as not being able to fully appreciate the more "somber issues" brought up or are as interested in discussing heavier topics or calls for action.  I have said in those cases what I said above:  If things are not working the way you think they should be on here, be the change you seek.  Show others what you mean by your idea of what this site should be, how change should be brought about here and in society at large.  Many of us just want more seasoned people to step forward and show us how it is done so that we can take the baton ourselves for the next leg of the race.  We want it.  We need it.  Ourselves and the others that will follow behind us depend on it.

For that, I thank you Lisa.

Tim
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 04:30:03 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2007, 04:42:30 pm »
OK Tim, you want porn....  I just came in my pants reading about how you are bristling there....  Ccooool Man...

I can't tell you all what joy this brings to my heart, and Lisa, while in the shower, I was thinking of a load of things to place on a to-do list.  I would like to know if you want that here in this thread for all to see or would you like it via e-mail.  The list isn't long but requires a bit of groundwork that can get us all on the way with progress right away.  I take it from some of the responses that this thread might compose some of the movers and shakiers of this particular movement.

I find it interesting that the one person commenting here that has the most capability to impact this event with their own website; was in fact the most negative and most derisive of this type of thing.  Glad they were wrong, or else none of us would have the medications we would need today if nothing had happened in the past that was of any consequence.  I guess negatives keep the positives stirred up and going in the good direction.

This thread is bringing me back to life, and I thank you allllllllll..!!!!!!!!!!!

In thanks,
Tim.      Yeeeee Haaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lynn Lavne

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2007, 04:45:52 pm »
It reminds me of a movie quote from the movie The Siege.

"In this game, the most committed wins!"

I find in life, this is true in all aspects.
RIDE!!!

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2007, 04:46:04 pm »
We should "INFECT" Washington.  Bring our masses like a huge Viral Load.  This is a great idea.

Washington DC HIV INFECTION Tour 2007!!!

Are you infectious? 

Catch the infection! 

Just thinking outloud how to make it Press Releasable and News grabbing!  Has to be catchy.  Million Man March had alliteration going for it.  If you want it to stick it has to be like BANG all up in your face.  But hey, thats just how I roll!!!

I'm with you, AC!  I'd love to brainstorm with others to be on a creative committee for this.  Your post made me think of some things.  From the Free Dicitonary definition of load:

a. The share of work allocated to or required of a person, machine, group, or organization.
b. The demand for services or performance made on a machine or system.

The Viral Load Redefined:  AIDS March On Washington

It's Time For A Mutation Of Attitudes

Working Together For REAL Viral Suppression

Just a few new thoughts building on yours, AC.  99 out of 100 may be deemed crap, but one or two might resonate.  Who knows?

Tim

(Who just KNEW Moffie would be posting in moments once he saw him online!  LOL)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 04:55:30 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2007, 04:50:11 pm »
I'm with you, AC!  I'd love to brainstorm with others to be on a creative committe for this.  Your post made me think of some things.  From the Free Dicitonary definition of load:

a. The share of work allocated to or required of a person, machine, group, or organization.
b. The demand for services or performance made on a machine or system.

The Viral Load Redefined:  AIDS March On Washington

Just a few new thoughts building on yours, AC.  99 out of 100 may be deemed crap, but one or two might resonate.  Who knows?

Tim

(Who just KNEW Moffie would be posting in moments once he saw him online!  LOL)

Whole heartedly agree, you have to brainstorm like that to get the good ideas to the top.  Coma's SUCK moffie!  Glad to have you back!  (thats sarcasm, i am referring to your recent abscence as a COMA like state to be funn.... forget it... welcom back ya ol fart!)
RIDE!!!

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2007, 04:54:24 pm »
Hands up!  How many others here are finding this thread incredibly exciting?  This...the activism forum...which has also been in somewhat of a COMA for awhile now.  LOL

I'm just all abuzz about this thread and forum now.  With all due respect to my fellow Porn Thread tramps, I've been peering here first for new replies since yesterday.*

*This in no way reflects any diminished trampiness on the part of the poster.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2007, 05:04:46 pm »

Tim,

These are both very good, because they force thought and explanation.  I can hear it now on American Morning on CNN with Soledad explaining it in detail..  Remember she is from Vallejo, California, just a boat ride away from where this all started on the West Coast.  It is very personal to her.  Most news outlets might miss the double meaning, but double meaning leaves it open for them to either look really stupid or really on the spot.

I elect you to become Chair of the Creative Committee.  While you are at it, see if a certain friend of ours who is one of your neighbors would like to start throwing around some ideas.  He really needs something like this again in his life.  It will really re-grow the damaged neurons from the PCP fevers.  Truly it really works.

AC, I don't know your name but I would think that with your penchant for marketing, we will certainly have some needs for you to be involved.  Also with your combined talent and a certain cherub in Atlanta's connections to Hollyweird, well I just see so much possibility.  Susan Sarrandan comes to mind as an honored guest speaker on the Mall.  Barbara also.  Hell, get 'em all there.  They will be in D.C. alot then as they will be fighting tooth and nail for either Barak, or Hillary, so we should be able to make some connections there.

Oh the juices are flowing and I am working on staying calm, as I cannot go overboard here.  I will explode if I do.

AC, if you didn't notice, this shit really gets my blood flowing and is the meat of what I am here to do.  I am a survivor, and I didn't do it sitting on my ass arguing about symantics and hurt feelings.  Those are just static that goes along with the work..  Hell, I've been in HIV funding distribution meetings where briefcases were flying....  Ohh the fun...

Tim, trampiness is like refreshments, can't live with them and can't live without them...

Love you guys.
Tim.

Thanks Guys,
Tim.
Lynn Lavne

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2007, 05:11:13 pm »
AC, I don't know your name but I would think that with your penchant for marketing, we will certainly have some needs for you to be involved.  Also with your combined talent and a certain cherub in Atlanta's connections to Hollyweird, well I just see so much possibility.  Susan Sarrandan comes to mind as an honored guest speaker on the Mall.  Barbara also.  Hell, get 'em all there.  They will be in D.C. alot then as they will be fighting tooth and nail for either Barak, or Hillary, so we should be able to make some connections there.

Name is Andrew.  And im lost with the "cherub in Atlanta" connection thingy?!?!?!  I am assuming its another member and they have media connections.  We have the perfect avenue of exposure in POZ magazine, after that you would think we would start by hitting up Reagan and the girls to contact Oprah.  You get there...youre GOLDEN!
RIDE!!!

Offline AIDS2HIV

• www.aids2hiv.com
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2007, 05:23:48 pm »
Do I really need to point out such obvious things here?  Hello?  Marching on Washington (and similar activities) brings media attention which....(Note the dots here- they are meant to represent a mental connection for you).....brings the issue before society at large once again

And thank God for those complainers that are mentioned.  I'm about to swallow what little slice of physical salvation I may have available to me because of their willingness to ''make signs and bitch about things''.  It is admitted that ACT UP ''got some attention on meds back in the 80's when they needed it''.  So what makes it seem so certain our efforts won't garner any results now?  And if any action that results from this protest "stops'' after a time...well, guess what?  We may take up the call yet again...and again...and again...(more mental connection dots here).

Since some seem so ready to dismiss this endeavor as having any meaningful benefit, it begs the question:  So what is the alternate suggestion?  Addressing society worldwide how?  What plan B is in mind when this idea is being dismissed?

I'm all ears.  Go.

while everyone else. has sat back and complained, or put forth the effort of how they will go about something, anything....i have just gotten up and done things. I start in the scholl systems in march, just got word yesterday, in fact. My education curriculum i developed, has been tested, and proven not only in my community area, but a few others as well. and to be quite honest, its snowballing.

The solution is simple. As a society, worldwide, we must first admit to our fellow citizens that HIV is in fact, a threat to each of us. The second thing we, as a society, NEED to do is to remove ALL the politics from HIV. Without these 2 factors, all curriculum will fail when it comes to fighting the HIV virus.

thats what i have done, and well to be honest, my area of "society" is now looking at adopting my work statewide. I have done this with no outside funding whatsoever, and to be honest, all its required from me, is gas money, time, and my personal efforts.

you are missing my point, you all want to march and protest, but really, what do you have personally to show the politicians that you are doing to show what you want works? i can tell you eyes wide open.....take it to a politician, you will get nothing but politics in return......

do you not realize, the impact one of you people can make on society by getting involved in the actual solution? by actually showing the people in your community. Real change is made by actually doing, meaning actions must speak, before words are spoken. With HIV, to make progress you must lead by example...proof is in the past. Doctors didnt learn anything until they started listening to, and monitoring HIV patients. And politicians arent gonna listen to ANYONE, unless they are lining thier personal pockets*

here's an example what i am trying to tell you about taking this TO the politicians...now, before ya start in about the topic of this article, just change it to HIV...because whether you will admit or realize, its all done the same...regardless of topic*

Scientists tell Congress they felt pressure to downplay threat of global warming
     WASHINGTON (AP) - Federal scientists have been pressured to play down global warming, advocacy groups testified Tuesday at the Democrats' first investigative hearing since taking control of Congress.
     The hearing focused on allegations that the White House for years has micromanaged the government's climate programs and has closely controlled what scientists have been allowed to tell the public.
     "It appears there may have been an orchestrated campaign to mislead the public about climate change." said Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif. Waxman is chairman of the Oversight and Government Reform Committee and a critic of the Bush adminsitration's environmental policies, including its views on climate.

pay particular attention to this: " the White House for years has micromanaged the government's climate programs and has closely controlled what scientists have been allowed to tell the public."

the media is controlled by the government as well as doctor, scientists, etc......you are going about it the wrong way* Open YOUR own eyes, before expecting others to open theirs. take it to the people in each of your communities....as many members as there are here, alot of ground can be covered, otherwise, states an provinces of people doing it because it works best, will go farther than any march.....especially when the march is an appeal to politicians*
Its the future of Hiv Education, and Resources www.aids2hiv.com      Got Community?

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2007, 05:30:04 pm »
Hi Andrew,

I think Oprah is also a good way to go, but knowing a bit about the way she operates, we will have to have everything ironed out and our organization formed and some actual accomplishments under our belt before she will commit to anything.  She has been burned enough to make her very cautious.  

I am not saying anything negative here, just that we have to become a true "IT" before we should ask Regan to get in touch with the "O".  I know we can approach some other means to make it to the news first, then work our way up.  I know that the Advocate "should" help, but then they are not always very welcoming anymore either.

A to HIV,,,

Go negative all you want, we don't need your karma here.  I will not accept that all of our protests did nothing in the past!  Nope, just won't buy it... NO way NO how...  I know of a website where you can go negative all you want, and it is called "AIDS to HIV", OH yes, that one is yours.  By the way, AIDS and HIV are acronyms that are ALWAYS in capital letters.  Now go back to your site and correct all the bad spelling.

Tim..
Lynn Lavne

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2007, 05:31:09 pm »
Thanks, Moffie!  I will be happy to assist in any capacity I can.  You mentioned American Morning.  I have very close associates with that very program.  I could almost certainly get calls taken in reference to this event...perhaps even about getting people on that show for representation.  I wouldn't have the least bit of fear of trying to push such a call through.

Oh!  Here's one (in reference to Andy's ACT UP focus on National Healthcare)...

Developing Resistance To The Medicine We're Having To Swallow  ...or something to that effect.

or:

Our Current Healthcare Can Be A Bitter Pill To Swallow

Same idea- a double meanings built in and such.

FILE UNDER:  Yet Another Thing To Be Thankful For With This Thread.

This thread has awakened me to just how much potential power is available through this very site.  We have artists, we have writers, we have actors and public speaker, we have poets, we have activists, we have computer gurus aplenty....do I need to go on?

Tim
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2007, 05:31:50 pm »
Wow I dont know where to start.  First off I dont think we are taking ANYTHING to the politicians are we?  We are more taking a message to the MEDIA to garner much needed attention and THEN hopefully support.  with the government you have to punch them in the face to get their attention.

As for the global warming pansies, maybe if they would have marched instead of going to the politicians with anything they would have been heard sooner.  As for the white house controlling things, they were controlling government led and funded programs, scientists and doctors.  WE ARE NOT GOVERNMENT FUNDED, and the day the people of this country cannot be heard by our government when WE deem necessary and in a peaceful yet FORCEFUL way is the day this country has died!

I agree that each of us can do more in our communities.  I do not in mine becasue of what I do and my family.  Its because of the stigma associated and thats wrong but it is just that, MY CHOICE.  Now, Washington is a whole diff. story.  I would be happy to help out where no one knows me or the families.  And if i happen to be "outted" at that point it will be MY STYLE!  BIG AND BOLD BABY, its how I roll!!!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 05:36:04 pm by ACinKC »
RIDE!!!

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2007, 05:45:23 pm »
I just can't believe that Lisa's original post was 1427 words.  That is a record for that girl...

Talk about passion...  Whew.

Tim, good one there with AM...  We need to keep that one resource for the future.  It is a really good way to reach the nation.
As for the slogans, any and most of the ones you have come up with are thought provoking, and we need several as there will be all kinds of signs and slogans needed to carry in the parade.  Only the main one needs to be really focused, pointed, and very brief.  Also, while I am on brief, we need to also brainstorm a Mission Statement, which should be no longer than something you can place at the bottom of a Letterhead. 

Andrew, the Cherub in Atlanta is none other than our own jkinatl2/Jonathan...  He has been on screen a time or two.

As I said last post, no more negatives here, we don't need em...

Truthfully,
Tim/M

Lynn Lavne

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2007, 05:45:39 pm »
Hi Andrew,

I think Oprah is also a good way to go, but knowing a bit about the way she operates, we will have to have everything ironed out and our organization formed and some actual accomplishments under our belt before she will commit to anything.  She has been burned enough to make her very cautious.  

I am not saying anything negative here, just that we have to become a true "IT" before we should ask Regan to get in touch with the "O".  I know we can approach some other means to make it to the news first, then work our way up.  I know that the Advocate "should" help, but then they are not always very welcoming anymore either.

A to HIV,,,

Go negative all you want, we don't need your karma here.  I will not accept that all of our protests did nothing in the past!  Nope, just won't buy it... NO way NO how...  I know of a website where you can go negative all you want, and it is called "AIDS to HIV", OH yes, that one is yours.  By the way, AIDS and HIV are acronyms that are ALWAYS in capital letters.  Now go back to your site and correct all the bad spelling.

Tim..

By the way I agree.  Im just a big picture kind of guy.  I have people that do the details, you dont want me doing details, you want me pitching ideas.  I suck at details.  BIG TIME!
RIDE!!!

Offline Lisa

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2007, 05:53:21 pm »
I called the cherub today and left a message.
Hope he's around.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2007, 05:57:04 pm »
By the way I agree.  Im just a big picture kind of guy.  I have people that do the details, you dont want me doing details, you want me pitching ideas.  I suck at details.  BIG TIME!

Well Andrew,

Imagine that, guess who is a detail man.....  GUILTY.

See, this is going to make Tim titalate and bristle even more.  The team is forming and it is doing so naturally so who can argue that kind of karma.  

Timmie is a happy camper once again. 

Lisa, good to see you in the room.  Would you mind answering my question from above, and then I will compose the list.  Thanks for calling the Cherub.  I look foward to reading this thread tomorrow morning when I can't sleep at 2am.  For now, I have to go make a piece of meat loaf...

I Love This Shit!!!!
Lynn Lavne

Offline Lisa

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2007, 06:08:24 pm »
Whoopsie Timmy,
Everything public, and transparent.
We all see. We all vote. We all work together.
Now......lets go rustle us up some other folk!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2007, 06:13:15 pm »
Hey Lisa,

I'm with you on this.   I think this has been a unique time in our history with this unpopular war more people than ever are going to be voting in 2008.  

In order to get noticed we have to take a look at the competition.   With all the psycho religious mega groups preaching abstinence and against gay rights the whole HIV/AIDS issue gets overlooked.

Healthcare seems to be a trigger word as these various campaigns are unfolding.   I think everyone is fed up with the soaring health care costs and the crisis in our country.  

I think people are finally seeing Hypochristianity for what it is more than ever.   With the number 2 guy in Focus on the Family caught with his pants down and the various other scandals I think people are slowly waking up.

I agree with everyone that the main thing is to cordinate every HIV/AIDS group already in existence to cooperate.   Focus on the people on ADAP waiting lists and the horror stories of a few individuals.  

But yeah, I think this could be a good time to attempt to something like this.

I'm fed up with hearing about Africa and I wanted to puke when I heard Bush's State of the Union address about all the more money shipped out while nothing was mentioned here.  

Whoever mentioned Oprah.  Forget it!  She's got some idea Africa is the only place in the World with an Aids problem.   Majic Johnson had to let her know we have our own little Africa here at home.  Unless she could think out of her bubble I see her as a lost cause.   Well, maybe if you could get enough of the Black Aids organizations in the states together, otherwise her only interest is in self promotion, buying her next $50 million dollar home and becoming whiter by the minute.    Uh, I can't stand her ;)

But seriously, if you could do enough to battle off the Religious Wrong's influence by distracting them with enough causes it might be the year.

I didn't cordinate my thoughts very well, but I had to get my 2 cents in anyway ;)

Wesley
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2007, 06:15:56 pm »
I'm detailed and I am angry...but in that good kind of angry way. What a AMG this is going to be. I will be calling you soon Lisa.

POWER TO THE INFECTED!!!

Hal

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2007, 06:25:52 pm »
I called the cherub today and left a message.
Hope he's around.

I intend to visit said cherub on Friday.  I have to pick up new meds then anyway.  Still haven't heard from him in a few days, but I am not above knocking on his door at this point- if I have not been able to get through to him before then.  Truthfully, won't be able to sleep peacefully if I don't.

And I have MUCH more to say to A2H up there, but may have to leave in a few moments...so it might have to be later on tonight before I can adequately reply.  Truthfully, I see some kernels of merit in what he is saying...though I am having to dig a bit to get at them.

For one thing, though:  Like I said, I am going to go down by cherub's place when I get my pills on Friday.  Pills, that like many, I have to receive via public funding. Given that so many of us ARE dependent on this supply to LIVE, how likely is it that we are gong to be able to "remove ALL the politics from HIV"?  That's a really weird statement to me.  I do kind of understand that idea of taking personal action to institute change, but there again:  HIV education in public schools?  How is one able to do that carte blanche without some nod from the government?  And...ah, hell!  Let me just go ahead and finish some of this now...

(And for the record:  Yes, I am in high titilation / bristle mode as we write)

A quote from A2H:  With HIV, to make progress you must lead by example...proof is in the past. Doctors didnt learn anything until they started listening to, and monitoring HIV patients. And politicians arent gonna listen to ANYONE, unless they are lining thier personal pockets*

Agreed, but isn't that what we are attempting to do here?  And doctors started listening to and monitoring patients why?  Because of the sign painting and bitching that you were maligning above.  And, yes...politicians listen when their pockets are lined.  How do they get lined?  By garnering public attention to issues and getting the public behind them.  Making it a popular thing to take a certain stand on a particular issue.  Often that is acheived by high-profile events with big name / famous supporters in the mix.  For a politician, having the chance to get your photo opp on the right side of an argument (let alone the right side of Oprah or some other celeb) can translate into campaign funds and votes.

Next quote:  what do you have personally to show the politicians that you are doing to show what you want works? i can tell you eyes wide open.....take it to a politician, you will get nothing but politics in return......

Good point.  Which brings me back to you personally...because you've gotten my attention here.  Just as I said that I am looking for leadership to teach me how to carry the torch, I can now look to you, right?  I don't want to highjack this particular thread, so I would appreiate it if you started another here in this Activism Forum to tell me (and all of us):  What is this new educational program you have started that is snowballing so?  How did you go about starting it?  How does one go about getting trained to do what you are doing in his or her own state?  What exactly should one expect in terms of all the costs associated with this education effort?  Who is the target audience you educate?  Where exactly do you teach this program?  How often and for approximately what size of audience at each time?  How long has this been going on?  How did you get inspired to start it?  Was there any program model that you followed?  These and so many other questions.  Again, step up and show us how it is done.  Some of us will take the torch.  I would love to learn about this program so that I could show a politician how it works.  Hell, so I could show Oprah how it works...and thus housewives across America if not the world.  I could talk about this program versus what is / isn't being taught in schools now...and how our education efforts could be made greater.  Yours and topics like it are great ones to get brought into light at the time maybe.

I applaud your localized efforts, but I would encourage you to consider the idea of getting your message out to a larger audience.  Hey!  Maybe you could set up a booth at our AIDS March On Washington?  At the very least, that would present a great opportunity to show your great education methods to others who might want to try to take it to their own states.

(There is probably more to say here- and I hope I have expressed myself somewhat clearly above.  I am a bit pressed for time at the moment.  If I need to, I will be happy to clarify etc later this evening.)

Tim

(Who is still very excited about this whole business)

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2007, 06:29:33 pm »
One more thing...taking action does matter. I have my first regional training meeting 3/10 for the Tennessee Health Care Campaign. We are a group working for health care justice for all because we believe health care is a human right.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2007, 06:31:54 pm »
Andrew, as far as "taking things to politicians," that's going to happen too.

Polls indicate healthcare coverage is a major concern for the American public. As we get closer to the 2008 election those doll babies are going to be confronted everywhere about what they're going to do about healthcare. We'll see some it reflected in the 2007 election, although far fewer national offices are up for grabs then.

Hillary, Obama et al are going to have to declare themselves on this issue and we're not going to accept coverage for children as enough. We want the whole deal for everyone. And anyone who says oh but how can that be done?, well, that isn't going to fly. Once the focus shifts to how to make universal healthcare work then the energy can go into accomplishing that instead of just cosmetic stuff.

We don't need a nosejob on health care. We need a heart and brain transplant.

Slogans? Here are some maybes....

INSURANCE COMPANIES ARE BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH

HEALTHCARE IS NOT A LUXURY
HEALTHCARE IS A RIGHT

STOP HEALTHCARE FOR CONGRESS UNTIL ALL AMERICANS HAVE COVERAGE

REPEAL HEALTHCARE FOR POLITICIANS UNTIL ALL AMERICANS HAVE COVERAGE

« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 06:34:10 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.