Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:46:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773187
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 286
Total: 289

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: White House-New Aids Plan  (Read 3444 times)

Offline Jeffreyj

White House-New Aids Plan
« on: July 13, 2010, 01:32:57 pm »
I just saw an interview with Andrea Mitchell interviewing the white house gal on the new HIV/Aids program. They talked about 34,000,000 but that was all. They had goals of reaching more people to get them tested.
Mitchell asked her how would they do all of this with no new funds. The answer was a bunch of BS talking about Philanthropic crap.

Not one question was asked about the people on waiting lists throughout the the country.

How very disappointing.

:(  :( :( ???
Positive since 1985

Offline next2u

Re: White House-New Aids Plan
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 09:45:30 pm »
http://www.truth-out.org/obama-crafts-first-national-strategy-fight-hivaids61319#comment-205409

Obama Crafts First National Strategy to Fight HIV/AIDS

Tuesday 13 July 2010

by: Linda Feldmann  |  The Christian Science Monitor | Report

photo
President Barack Obama. (Image: Jared Rodriguez / t r u t h o u t; Adapted: NASA/Bill Ingalls, Trygve.u)

The Obama administration is set to unveil America's first HIV/AIDS strategy on Tuesday. It includes no new funding, but redirects dollars toward the most at-risk and affected groups.

Washington - The Obama administration will unveil the first national HIV/AIDS strategy Tuesday. The goal is to reduce the number of new infections and boost access to care for those already infected, an administration report says.

South Africa AIDS orphans overwhelm social work services
Bush OKs $48 billion for AIDS as famine looms
Health care reform bill 101: what the bill means to you
Perhaps most noteworthy, in these tough budgetary times, is that the plan does not propose a major increase in federal funding. The United States already spends $19 billion annually on domestic HIV/AIDS programs, and President Obama’s plan seeks to redirect dollars toward the most at-risk and affected groups – gay and bisexual men and African-Americans.

“The National HIV/AIDS Strategy is committed to making the United States a place where new HIV infections are rare, and when they do occur, every person, regardless of age, gender, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, or socio-economic circumstance, will have unfettered access to high-quality, life-extending care, free from stigma and discrimination,” the White House stated Monday.

Mr. Obama will discuss the strategy late Tuesday afternoon at a reception honoring the work of the HIV/AIDS community. Earlier in the day, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and several other senior administration officials will unveil the goals and details of the plan.

Among the goals, the administration is calling for a 25 percent reduction in the annual number of new HIV infections by 2015. One way to do that is to boost the percentage of HIV-positive people who know their diagnosis, so they can receive treatment and takes steps not to infect other people, according to an administration report circulating in advance of Tuesday’s events.

Currently, 79 percent of infected people are aware of their status; the administration’s goal is to reach 90 percent. More than 1.1 million Americans were estimated to be living with HIV in 2006, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The administration also seeks to boost the proportion of patients linked to clinical care within three months of HIV diagnosis from 65 percent to 85 percent by 2015.

And it seeks to revive public interest in AIDS as an issue. Because AIDS has become increasingly treatable, the sense of urgency has waned, the report says. This need for greater public attention is particularly true for the communities hit hardest, activists say.

“HIV/AIDS as an epidemic has fallen off the radar screen,” Andy Izquierdo of the National Minority AIDS Council told the Kaiser Health News Service. “A lot of people don’t see it as an issue anymore, even though it’s hitting some communities of color worse than ever.”

Please donate at a level you can afford to help keep Truthout free from corporate influence and accountable only to our readers.

Overall, the administration is aiming for greater national coordination of the various local, state, and federal efforts to educate the public about HIV/AIDS, help patients find treatment, and direct resources to those hardest-hit communities.

AIDS activists have long urged a national, comprehensive approach to addressing the pandemic, noting that the US government requires other countries to present such a plan to receive US aid. In 2003, President George W. Bush launched PEPFAR, the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, with a five-year, $15 billion commitment to fight the disease globally.

On July 8, Secretary Sebelius announced a reallocation of $25 million in HHS funds to states for patients on waiting lists to receive HIV/AIDS drugs. Advocates said the money is not enough, given the high unemployment rate and loss of health insurance, in addition to cuts in state budgets.

All republished content that appears on Truthout has been obtained by permission or license.
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 01:52:24 am »
what about the waiting lists????????
Positive since 1985

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 02:21:26 am »
Below is a list of addresses and phone numbers for various media organizations.  I've contacted NBC Nightly News in the past and got to speak with with assignment desk.  I think emails often don't get read.  I would call or write a snail mail. 

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=111

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 02:26:55 am »
Thank you tednlou, i hope this will help cut through the red tape. I will call for sure . I can't believe everyone missed this waiting list problem. , including the WHITE HOUSE!
 Unreal.
Positive since 1985

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 07:54:52 am »
French radio covered this story giving it a progressive slant. It was shoddy reporting, didn't report the ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM ---- a plan that is based on "test and treat" but a nation that can't commit the resources to treat.

WHAT UTTER HYPOCRISY FROM THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION!!!!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 03:25:13 pm »
I just spoke with Carlo from the news desk. I told him to please let Rachael Madow know that her news organization was not reporting on the 2400 people that are on these waiting lists.
He seemed interested and concerned. We shall see.

I encourage everyone to keep calling the various names on the list that Tednlou posted. I got to the news desk in 30 seconds.

The New York Times also listened to me, and they said it was "an interesting angle we'd would like to persue."
Now for CBS and NBC....Thanks in advance for any help.
Jeff
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 03:30:51 pm by Jeffreyj »
Positive since 1985

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 07:33:35 pm »
Yeah, and read this thread, and be very afraid, and angry:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=33549.0

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 05:16:38 pm »
Mecch,
Thanks for that link. I am doing something with my anger. I made 5 calls to various TV News show, and I want to share with everyone this Email link to MSNBC News. Shoot them an email. Lets help those who are on these dreadful waiting lists:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10285339

You and pick what show you want to email with the drop down box at the top.
Thanks in advance if you choose to help.
Jeff
Positive since 1985

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 05:37:40 pm »
thnx for the action  Jeff, made two calls to the local stations.. seemed to be interested  said I would follow up in a week... see if they were researching the issue....   so far   not a big issue here in Dallas area....but that doesnt mean it wont be as the funding starts to tighten up/....

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.