Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:39:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 593
Total: 593

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Thinking about going off Atripla  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Tar Heel

Thinking about going off Atripla
« on: August 25, 2014, 08:10:48 am »
Hey folks... long time, no see.

I've been on Atripla for the last 5 years and have done well.  My last cd4 was 563 (26.4%) and with a viral load <20. 

I go to the doc tomorrow and need to make a decision fast.  On my last visit, he said we could change meds if I wanted to.  The dreams have been the biggie for me.  Dreams have become so vivid that I am not sure if things happened in real life of if I dreamed it.  I mention things that have happened to coworkers and they look at me like I am crazy.  I am also having a fine, non-raised rash on my upper torso and arms.  The last time I went to the doc, he said "you just have celtic skin." 

I work full time and have private insurance so a combo med would be best for me so I will only have to pay the co-pay for one medication.

I'm thinking of Complera.  But I have read that you can't take it with an acid-reducer and I take Prilosec.  I could take the Complera in the morning and the Prilosec at night. 

I take my meds religiously and never miss a dose and my doc told me that my genotype was an easy one to treat.

Thoughts/insight?
"So much has been given to me that I have no time to ponder on that which has been denied." ~ Helen Keller

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Thinking about going off Atripla
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 08:54:13 am »
If you are having cns issue with Atripla I would insist on going ahead with the plans for a new combo . You did not mention depression but if that is a factor its another reason to ditch the Atripla and go to one of the many other combos out there .

As for Complera ... I'm seeing many post lately where people are having cns issues with Atripla where depression is a factor and their doctors guide them to Complera . I'm beginning to wonder if that is wise choice given it can have a similar side effect profile even if a gentler one . Have you had any depression or mood changes before or after Atripla was initiated ?

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Tar Heel

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 02:29:24 pm »
Yeah, I have been having low energy and mood but did not associate that with the Atripla.
"So much has been given to me that I have no time to ponder on that which has been denied." ~ Helen Keller

Offline PuppyCub

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 09:00:28 pm »
Tar Heel,

I just recently switched from Atripla (was also on it for 5 years), and I notice that I don't feel as 'anxious' when in my normal triggers for such (being in a car is a huge one for me). It's still 'there', but I've also only been on it for a few days.

It could be just a placebo effect from the medication change, but will probably know more in a couple weeks. Either way though, I've read in a few places that people that have CNS problems really shouldn't be on Atripla (although, some don't really manifest until after you've been on it awhile).

Just my two cents. ;)
07/21/14 - 548 / Undet.

2009 - 2014: Atripla
Switch 2014: Complera

Offline Reggie

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 10:04:11 pm »
Wishing you good luck and success with the change.Will follow your post with great interest as am also looking for a med change from atripla due to some bothersome side effects and as based in Thailand this is a viable option as the newest medications not available here yet.

Reggie

Offline absopozilutely

• Love to chat/text/talk/encourage!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 06:28:00 am »
Did you consider Stribild? I was on Complera and didn't have any issues it just wasn't strong enough for me, Stribild can kick some ass though lol. But you're already UD so nothing to worry about there. Stribild is also a more forgiving pill, as far as calorie intake.
12/18 Infected
2/4 12:22pm tested POZ via ORAquick
2/19 WB Confirmation
2/4-2/19 VL 104,678 CD4 407
3/2 Genotype back, and Started Complera
4/2-CD4 688 38% and VL 1,600
5/1-CD4 592 42% and VL 336
5/22-CD4 732 31% and VL 109 :( STILL NOT UD!
5/31 Switched to Stribild :( I'll miss you Complera!
6/19 CD4 508 35% and VL UD!!!!! Crying at work like a baby.
9/19 CD4 799 46% VL UD yayyyy
5/1/19 CD4 1100 VL still UD.

Offline Tar Heel

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 04:45:16 pm »
Went to the doc today and he did some labs.  He's is thinking about switching me to Stribild. 

More when labs return.

Offline absopozilutely

• Love to chat/text/talk/encourage!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 03:30:33 pm »
Eh stribild is easy peasy no problems at all.
12/18 Infected
2/4 12:22pm tested POZ via ORAquick
2/19 WB Confirmation
2/4-2/19 VL 104,678 CD4 407
3/2 Genotype back, and Started Complera
4/2-CD4 688 38% and VL 1,600
5/1-CD4 592 42% and VL 336
5/22-CD4 732 31% and VL 109 :( STILL NOT UD!
5/31 Switched to Stribild :( I'll miss you Complera!
6/19 CD4 508 35% and VL UD!!!!! Crying at work like a baby.
9/19 CD4 799 46% VL UD yayyyy
5/1/19 CD4 1100 VL still UD.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.